• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Gilbert and Pouncey

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
From Gators to Steelers, Maurkice Pouncey and Marcus Gilbert still blocking for each other
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
Email
comment
6:13 PM ET
Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer
PITTSBURGH - Maurkice Pouncey admits his relationship with Marcus Gilbert is a little, uh, less rowdy than it was at Florida.

They are adults now.

Steelers offensive linemen Marcus Gilbert and Maurkice Pouncey, shown in a 2008 game, were teammates at Florida. J. Meric/Getty Images
"It wasn't a secret at Florida," said Pouncey about the hard-charging night life among star Gators players who went on to win a national title in 2008. "We're a little bit more calm now."

As lifestyles shifted, these two starting Pittsburgh Steelers linemen have been pull-blocking together on and off the field.

Gilbert might as well be Pouncey's other twin brother as they begin their ninth season together.

With Pouncey at center and Gilbert at right tackle, they've started a combined 124 NFL games while protecting quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. They are playing on contract extensions worth a combined $74 million. They've shared everything but a Super Bowl ring.

"It's more than just me saying he's a good guy," said Pouncey, whose twin, Mike, is the Miami Dolphins center. "We're brothers. He's family."

The relationship has evolved from fun-loving college dudes to family-centered adults who prepare dinner parties. Pouncey and Gilbert take turns hosting fellow linemen for hangout sessions every Thursday, and the two often front the restaurant bill for rookie linemen to ease their lighter wallets.

But as the responsibilities increase, some things don't change at all, like Gilbert's desire to make Pouncey proud.

The Pouncey twins were heralded recruits out of Lakeland (Fla.) High School who got drafted in back-to-back first rounds. Maurkice was always a star. Gilbert had to work a little harder for stardom. He was a four-star recruit out of St. Thomas Aquinas (Fort Lauderdale) but mostly played a supporting role at Florida, leading to a second-round draft selection in 2011.

Slowly, Gilbert is gaining on the former All-Pro Pouncey, who thought Gilbert should have been a Pro Bowler last year after improving his physique and rarely allowing a sack. Gilbert has lost about 35 pounds since he entered the league. He plays at about 305 pounds while Pouncey stays around 290.

During Gilbert's breakout year, the sixth-year tackle didn't know how to feel. He didn't get to block defenders alongside Pouncey, who missed the entire 2015 season with an ankle injury that required multiple surgeries and significant time in the hospital.

Gilbert was by Pouncey's side every time the Steelers' linemen visited Pouncey's hospital room. And when Gilbert took the field, he thought of his friend. That emboldened him.

"I didn’t want to let him down," Gilbert said. "The passion he played the game with is huge. I wanted for him to turn on the film on the TV and watch me playing 100 percent and make him proud."

Pouncey turned on the film. And his reaction would please Gilbert.

"He was awesome last year," Pouncey said.

Pouncey is known as the offense's fiery leader, and Gilbert believes he's patterned parts of his game -- intensity, nastiness -- around Pouncey.

Both players like to keep things loose on the filed.

"If he ever needs anything, I'm there for him. Same with me," Gilbert said. "When you spent so much time with somebody, some things never change, they only get better. Especially with what we’ve been through in our careers, you can’t help but have respect for him."

As Gilbert and Pouncey spend time with each other's families, Pouncey wonders how long this ride will last.

Both are in their late 20s and anchors of one of the league's best lines.

"Hopefully we can stay together our whole careers," Pouncey said.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
good read.............