• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Gilbert just grateful to be here

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
2016-09-05 2:15 PM | Teresa Varley Steelers.com
Gilbert: 'I am just grateful'

For an NFL player, learning you were traded can come as a big surprise, and sometimes not a pleasant surprise.

But for cornerback Justin Gilbert, getting traded from the Browns to the Steelers on Saturday is a welcome change for the former first-round pick.

"I was a little bit surprised," said Gilbert. "I was more happy and shocked at the same time. I am just excited for this new opportunity, fresh opportunity, with these guys. Everybody has welcomed me with open arms and I am just ready to get to work.

"Words can't even explain how excited I am right now. I am just grateful."

Gilbert got to work with his new teammates on Monday at the UPMC Rooney Sports Complex as they prepare to take on the Washington Redskins on Monday Night Football on Sept. 12. And he immediately liked the vibe from his new team.

"It's a lot different," said Gilbert. "It's a little more laid back. Everybody here knows what this team is capable of. At the same time when we hit the practice field it was a whole different level. I am excited for that every day.

"Being around the guys in this locker room, these guys know what it takes to win a championship. You have quality leaders on offense and defense. I'm just coming in looking up to those guys and following their lead for now."

Gilbert was selected by the Browns with the eighth overall pick of the 2014 NFL Draft. He played in 23 games with two starts in Cleveland, and accounted for 29 tackles, nine passes defensed, and a 23-yard interception for a touchdown. He had some issues while with the Browns, but said he has grown up a lot and is just ready to move forward.

Gilbert is ready to get to work

"All I know is what I can do and what I am going to do for this franchise," said Gilbert. "I want to go out and prove it every day. I don't want to talk about it so much, just show it with my actions on the field and my play. I just want to continue to be consistent as I have been in the past year. Continue to show I am here every day to work and show consistency.

"Just growing up off of the field. There are a lot of things that can distract you when you come in, but after a year in the league and not getting done what I wanted to get done in my first season, it's changed me and made me a new man."

As long as he can contribute in a positive way. Be more than what Blake offered. Don't give up the deep ball, and make tackles

He better show a willingness to step up and support the run.

He's saying the right things though, now let's see if he can produce.

He better show a willingness to step up and support the run.

He's saying the right things though, now let's see if he can produce.

Amen and find a place to stash that chip on the shoulder he carried around in Cleveland. First meeting he's late for, 'Shade Tree' puts a boot up his ***. Now does he go get in the PR/KR line right away or not ?

Last edited:
Amen and find a place to stash that chip on the shoulder he carried around in Cleveland. First meeting he's late for, 'Shade Tree' puts a boot up his ***. Now does he go get in the PR/KR line right away or not ?

I'd say yes. He has more experience than Eli, Coates, and Toussant.

Think he gets some reps returning kicks for us. He was a good one in college. Not sure how much PT he gets taking over the Boykin position on the sideline this year. He's got the size and athleticism to be good. He needs to apply it or he will be out of the league.

http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN Home Page/2016/09/tomlin-explains-motive-behind-gilbert-trade/

Tomlin explains the Gilbert trade

Sure saying the right things, other than he feels he was consistent last year...consistent at sucking maybe.

But he even said he doesn't want to talk so much, rather prove it on the field. I like that. Wouldn't it JUST be Cleveland's luck to trade us a player who sucked for them, and then is good for us? How fitting.

Basically - He got re-drafted

slate's clean according to Tomlin

Don't **** up, people don't usually get second chances, get to work son

Must be exhilarating to get out of the Factory of Sadness.

He admitted he was inconsistent his first year, but has been working to be more so lately. If he can't walk the line and be a contributor, he'll be gone. He will get a chance to make an impact, but he needs to put the work in and not be a immature brat. I'm hoping he sees this as a last chance and seizes the opportunity. I'm rooting for the kid to have the last laugh on the Stains and steal one of their cream of the crop first round draft picks.

He sounds like he has the right spirit. And he has to be an improvement over Blake. Can't wait to see him in action.

I hope this guy goes down the field like vince Papali and drills the returner causing a fumble....introduce yourself to SteelerNation, Mr Gilbert. Then bring some of that swagger into the secondary..

wishful thinking though...

I think I'd be ok if he made a big play against the brownies (perhaps a kick return for td or an interception return) in their stadium and just points to the logo on the side of his helmet right in front of the "dawg pound." I remember back in '05 when Quincey Morgan caught a touchdown pass late in a 41-0 shellacking in cleve and did the same thing. Man, the looks on those fans faces was priceless. Of course, if he can make another play here or there that would be nice too.

As long as he keeps the "team 1st" attitude then he will be ok. High work ethics will help, provided he shows that his "talk" isn't just a cheap cop out. Remember that the clowns don't have a high success rate on first rounders so this first rounder may actually be a 3rd, to a respectable team. I'm glad of the trade as we may end up with contributing talent for a 6th round pick in two years.

Salute the nation

Must be nice to play for a coaching staff and Front Office that isn't in a constant state of flux. I imagine it will be very different for him to see what an actual QB looks like in practice. One that's been on his team for longer than a decade!

IF he wants to be the best, going up against AB and Eli will get him up to speed real quick, and he does have the speed to match, he just needs to improve his technique. Fortunately technique can be taught!

Tim Benz of DK sports radio had draft expert Dane Brugler on talking about Gilbert, give a really good scouting report.

Then there is this
"...he's a former quarterback in highschool...he doesn't want to play corner...he's dreaming about the days in highschool when he was the quarterback..."

https://soundcloud.com/dkpittsburghsports/tim-benz-on-dk-sports-radio-dane-brugler-interview-9716

Thats a hot take haha.

If the guy was longing for the days of playing QB, wouldnt that have showed in Ok St? It wasnt like the school had a wealth of talent at the QB position, so why wasnt he sulking during that point?

Unless you honestly believe that he was in fact sulking during college- And that while he was sulking, he still managed to become an All-American. Which actually says even MORE about his ability lol.

Goes up to 2 mil next year...all guaranteed...

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=569374913250494&substory_index=0&id=231978776990111

Steelers new Cornerback Justin Gilbert, either looks like a new player, or Cleveland needs better coaches,
Gilbert turning heads at Steelers practice, as he showcase not only exceptional footwork but his hands as well, picking Ben off twice once was a go route to AB, and the other was a fade to Coates

What are you calling that dumpster fire named the Cleveland Browns... bad at coaching. Crazy talk!!

I don't expect too much from Gilbert but if he can be a nickel back with us I'd be happy and all hell. If he becomes a starter I would laugh my butt off at Cleveland.

it's like dying (at the factory of sadness) and being born and again (covered by a black and gold terrible towel), now prove you deserve such an opportunity kid, best of luck