• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Google timelines

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone else get these emailed to them? Not sure how it started or why, but it creeps me out. They know where I was, when, for how long, etc. I get one each month.

Would love to stop it, disable it, etc.

I read in SHFT groups about people who want to find a way to keep their phones charged in case of societal collapse, but now I think that is a bad thing. They would know where we all are.

Yeah I deleted google app from phone and I am not signed in as me if I use it through safari

Your Timeline is easy to disable: just go to your timeline page, and in the Settings menu (it’s the one with a cog icon) select “Pause Location History.”

That will stop Google Maps from collecting places you go with your devices and adding them to your Location History map. You can also delete all the already-stored places from the Settings menu too – just select “Delete all Location History”.

Does anyone else get these emailed to them? Not sure how it started or why, but it creeps me out. They know where I was, when, for how long, etc. I get one each month.

Would love to stop it, disable it, etc.

I read in SHFT groups about people who want to find a way to keep their phones charged in case of societal collapse, but now I think that is a bad thing. They would know where we all are.
You can disable it. I forgot how.
Log out of your google account. Clear cache, cookies etc

Google's whole business is collecting and selling your data. And coming soon, using your data to coordinate with government agencies if you step out of line.

If you have an android phone, you can turn off all the things you like and it still tracks you, it just doesn't show you that it's tracking you.

I have given this some thought for awhile.

Unless you are willing to completely unplug from the grid, (that includes posting to an internet chat board like this one.) you just have to accept that this is the world now.

We stand waist deep in a strong-flowing river. You can try as you might to fight the flow and forge to a distant shore, all the while watching everyone you know and care about float away from you downstream, or you can just lay back, point your toes downstream and enjoy the float.

I have given this some thought for awhile.

Unless you are willing to completely unplug from the grid, (that includes posting to an internet chat board like this one.) you just have to accept that this is the world now.

We stand waist deep in a strong-flowing river. You can try as you might to fight the flow and forge to a distant shore, all the while watching everyone you know and care about float away from you downstream, or you can just lay back, point your toes downstream and enjoy the float.

Yep. You, a regular private citizen, are going up against a megacorporation with a net worth of $1.9 trillion, in cahoots with a government who's shown they have absolutely no problem spying on everything little thing you do. That's why VPNs/digital identity monitors etc. are really only good for third party hacking of your personal/financial information.

I'm afraid we are headed for a truly dystopian future (if not already there). Privacy and liberty are "antiquated ideals" that no longer serve a global society. The fact that here in the U.S. the Patriot Act has not been repealed, and really hardly any politician fights for our 4th Amendment rights, it's all proof that Big Brother is no longer just a fictional character.

Would the development of a smartphone that drastically limits the ability for outside parties to track, monitor, locate your traffic/location be something a tech company would be interested in developing then marketing to folks with privacy concerns? Or would it be doomed to fail because it's market appeal is severely limited, thus it wouldn't make money for the carrier, app makers, etc.? (The libertarian-leaning Koch Brothers come to mind as possible financiers.) But let's face it... the smartphone market is hard to get into... just look at Bezo's 2014-2015 Amazon Fire Phone failure as proof.

The key is for us with concerns is to leave as little an online footprint as we can. Give "them" as little evidence of your activities as possible.

Good luck with that, right?

The key is for us with concerns is to leave as little an online footprint as we can. Give "them" as little evidence of your activities as possible.

Good luck with that, right?
Too late.

Almost everything is a tracking device nowadays. Why you would need to be told where you've been via email is a bit strange though. Convenience is fun until it's used against you.

Even though we don't have OnStar activated on any of our cars, my gut says they know exactly where the car has been and how fast. I guess I could find the fuse and pull it, but it's probably tied in with something important.

And from experience in my former employment, cell towers are much more than an antenna for the phone to transmit calls.

**** my phone knew I was going to the gym today

• Haha
Reactions: MTC