• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Gun experts talk about AR-15's and hunting

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Thank God we have the geniuses of The View to educate us about guns. For example, did you know that an AR-15 cannot be used for hunting because the round "destroys the animal"?

I researched the topic and wow, she is totally legit here. This is a clip of one AR-15 round and the devastating results:

giphy.gif

Can you IMAGINE if the gun nuts had access to a caliber higher than 5.56?? I am shaking just contemplating that idea.

Yesterday on my way home from work, Martha McCallum and the gun expert she had on her show kept referring to AR-15’s as automatic assault rifles. As much as the media talks about AR-15’s you’d think they would actually know something factual about them

It’s almost as bad as that General referring to the weapon as fully semiautomatic. Cripes.

Yesterday on my way home from work, Martha McCallum and the gun expert she had on her show kept referring to AR-15’s as automatic assault rifles. As much as the media talks about AR-15’s you’d think they would actually know something factual about them

It’s almost as bad as that General referring to the weapon as fully semiautomatic. Cripes.
And the sad part is they know their followers believe every word they say.

Look, the View ladies may have a point about the automatic semi-automatic ARK-15.47. Here is the typical round for one of those killing machines:

AP23138330248890-e1684752914748.jpg

My God, and the traditional ARK-15.47 holds THIRTY rounds!!

AR stands for automatic rifle, right?

D'uh. Are you new to guns??
Sorry man. They actually scare me. When I hunt, I approach the animal and ask if I can have them, if they are willing to.

It stands for Assault Rifle. Whoopie said so.

As my thread title suggests, the go-to place for information about bang-bang instruments is the View. The ladies on that panel know about three things:
  • Guns
  • Racism
  • Where to shop for XXL clothing

I probably know far less about ammunition than many in this thread. That is meant as a compliment to you all.

But I am also no idiot and experienced. Educated on the topic as a hunter. Have been shooting guns since I was a kid, hunting annually since I was 12.

Remember vividly a day when I was a freshman in high school. Went hunting with my friend, the 2x state champion wrestler and his father. Borrowed my grandmother's over and under .222 and 20-guage shotgun. We went to a public hunting ground, hiked up a mountain. Frigid day. I was under-clothed. Freezing and shivering. 3 hours later, deer came by and I lined up a shot and fired the .222 round. Barely maimed the deer. I felt awful. It was wounded, couldn't move, and eventually I had to get within 5 feet of it and use the 20 gauge to kill it.

The .222 is just a tiny tiny tiny bit smaller than the .223, the common round in the AR-15. Yeah, it is a fast bullet. But it has far less kinetic energy than many deer hunting weapons.

For fifteen years after I hunted with a .243 rifle, the Remingonton Mowhawk .243 I loved. But it still was underpowered for deer. Though a more deadly round than the .223.

I've since upgraded to a 7mm-08. Perfect for deer. Still not like a 30-06 or many other rounds used for larger animals. You wouldn't even use a 7mm-08 for moose or bear hunting by and large.

For any idiot to tell millions of Americans that a .223 round in an AR-15 will leave a deer decimated to the point there is no meat to eat is sheer lunacy. Literally. They know not of what they speak.

The first rifle I used to hunt was a .222 Savage. Plenty of destructive power. First deer I shot with it, it left a normal hole going in, and the exit wound was about the size of a snuff can. The damage was on the inside. When I gutted it, all that was left of the heart was a piece about the size of my thumb and there was about half of one lung left and the, of course the rest of its guts. And this was with a standard 55 grain ball.

While I agree the media tends to grossly exaggerate the damage an AR15 can do, I don’t think it can be minimized as some kind of pea shooter either.

The first rifle I used to hunt was a .222 Savage. Plenty of destructive power. First deer I shot with it, it left a normal hole going in, and the exit wound was about the size of a snuff can. The damage was on the inside. When I gutted it, all that was left of the heart was a piece about the size of my thumb and there was about half of one lung left and the, of course the rest of its guts. And this was with a standard 55 grain ball.

While I agree the media tends to grossly exaggerate the damage an AR15 can do, I don’t think it can be minimized as some kind of pea shooter either.

Interesting. I think the Savage .222 has less velocity than .223. A 55 gr. .222 going slower will cause a lot of internal damage. Some states (Colorado, Connecticut, Illinois, Iowa, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Ohio, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia) ban .223 from deer hunting since it runs the risk of not creating a mortal wound even when the round is put on target.

Hunting deer with .223 - where allowed, where banned

When I go hunting I carry two weapons.
Rifle - .338 Weatherby, Weatherby Mk5 (or) .308 Weatherby, Weatherby Vangard
Sidearm - .454 Casull, Super Redhawk

Daily carry - .40, H&K VP40

I have seen elk taken by 243, and pronghorn run off after hits by 30-06. There are lots of variables. Shot placement is the key.

Look, the View ladies may have a point about the automatic semi-automatic ARK-15.47. Here is the typical round for one of those killing machines:

AP23138330248890-e1684752914748.jpg

My God, and the traditional ARK-15.47 holds THIRTY rounds!!
that's ridiculous.

no one needs one of them.

i'll take two.

The women of the View, educating Americans daily.