• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Healthcare Question

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
I work in a nursing home and we have a physicians assistant. On my cheek was swollen severely from an abscessed tooth. I only had slight pain the night before and woke up looking like a chipmunk. Anyways she wrote me a prescription for clindamycin, amoxicillin does not usually work too well for me. I do not have insurance but went to the pharmacy. The pills would have been $92 I was like yikes and the lady was like well let me see if I can find a discount. So she comes back and says it is $21.75. How does the price magically drop by 4x ? Luckily I just got a big promotion so I should be able to take the work insurance starting next year.

I retired from this business in October after 45 years behind a counter. Over the last 20 years or so PBM's (pharmacy benefit managers) have destroyed this profession. What cost pennies to produce, now costs $100. And the individual pharmacy is usually behind the 8 ball.
Most people, if not all, having a health insurance, pharmacy benefit, factors into this mess, because the plans say everything must be based on average wholesale price, an arbitrary number.

Go online to Good RX and see what they can do. 10 days of clindamycin 300mg shouldn't set you back $92.

I think that as soon as they see insurance they raise the price. The whole cost of meds is a rip off right now. My dog has glaucoma. I have to give two different drops once a day. One of the drops I was paying $29 for this little bitty bottle. Then the maker of the beds stopped for awhile then started back up. Now the price jumps to $59 for the same meds. This all happened within a month. They can't tell me R & D caused these med prices to go up that much.

My vet during the end of Rocco, we talked about meds. He was putting him on this ridiculous expensive med to help with the cancer. He told me this same pill, nothing change in over 2 decades wasn’t 15 a pill but rather close to .50cents. The only change? A pharam comp bought them up. Boom. Blast the price.

Pharma is the worst corporations out there.

Next time tell the pharmacist that you are a criminal illegal alien. You’ll get that **** for free.

Tell them you are a LGBTQ transexal nonbinary homosexual necrophiliac criminal illegal alien... They'll be paying you to take it.

I work in a nursing home and we have a physicians assistant. On my cheek was swollen severely from an abscessed tooth. I only had slight pain the night before and woke up looking like a chipmunk. Anyways she wrote me a prescription for clindamycin, amoxicillin does not usually work too well for me. I do not have insurance but went to the pharmacy. The pills would have been $92 I was like yikes and the lady was like well let me see if I can find a discount. So she comes back and says it is $21.75. How does the price magically drop by 4x ? Luckily I just got a big promotion so I should be able to take the work insurance starting next year.

they probably found some sort of a vendor coupon or they have a program where they discount for people without insurance.

My vet during the end of Rocco, we talked about meds. He was putting him on this ridiculous expensive med to help with the cancer. He told me this same pill, nothing change in over 2 decades wasn’t 15 a pill but rather close to .50cents. The only change? A pharam comp bought them up. Boom. Blast the price.

Pharma is the worst corporations out there.

It's not a simple answer with drug companies. On the one hand, it is totally legitimate to have high prices on new drugs because it does take hundreds of millions to develop them. Also, you do want companies to be able to make big profits on drugs or else why would anybody even bother going through all the work of researching new drugs?

On the other hand, there are drug companies that pull shady ****. I've read about companies that bought up drugs that were for rare diseases. There wasn't much money in the individual drugs because they were rarely prescribed. But if you bought up the drugs for a bunhc of rare diseases and jacked up the prices, now there's a profit.

That is the kind of regulation I want. Don't bog companies down in red tape and regulation on daily operations, but do have laws against these types of shady practices.