• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Home Grown Heroes: The 1979 Pittsburgh Steelers

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Definitely You on Twitter: The 1979 Steelers were the first team to be entirely home grown. Every player on the Steelers' roster was either drafted by the Steelers or was signed as

By 1979, Chuck Noll‘s Pittsburgh Steelers had already become the team of the decade, winning three Super Bowls in five years, and aiming to repeat for the second time. What was special about the ’79 team, however, was that they were the first team in NFL history to be comprised of completely home grown talent that up until that time, had never worn another uniform other than the black and gold.

Coming off of a 35-31 victory against the Dallas Cowboys in Super Bowl XIII, championships had become the standard and expectation in Pittsburgh, and 1979 would be no different.

In a season that would see the Steelers start without future NFL Hall of Famers “Mean” Joe Greene and Lynn Swann, along with Steelers great Rocky Bleier, and would end with losing starting safety Mike Wagner and Hall of Fame linebacker Jack Ham, the Steelers relied on players like Sidney Thornton, John Banaszak, Gary Dunn, and Tom Beasley to pick up the slack.

The banged-up Steelers would still go on to have the AFC’s top ranked defense as well as the #1 offense, despite posting a league high 52 turnovers.

The 1979 Steelers would start the season 5-1, before getting embarrassed by the 0-6 Cincinnati Bengals by a score of 34-10, dropping the Steelers to 5-2 and a tie for first in the AFC Central with the Houston Oilers.

Week 9 would pit the Steelers in a Super Bowl rematch against a Cowboys team who voiced certain opinions about the Steelers and how they felt they had gotten cheated out of a Super Bowl victory the year prior. In the words of Steelers legend and member of the vaunted “Steel Curtain” L.C. Greenwood, “They were talking a whole bunch of trash about what they were going to do and all that, and they were coming into Pittsburgh…bad mistake.” In what would be Roger Staubach’s last game against the Steelers, the Cowboys would go down 14-3.

The ’79 Steelers would go on to post a 12-4 record and achieve their 6th straight division title behind all-time greats like Terry Bradshaw, Franco Harris, Jack Lambert, Mel Blount, and especially John Stallworth, who, with Lynn Swann out for most of the season, would emerge as the #1 receiver in the Steel City, catching 70 passes (a team record at the time), and being voted by his peers as the team’s MVP.

The Steelers would then go on another postseason run that perfectly put on display why they were the team of the 70’s. After beating the Miami Dolphins 34-14 in the divisional round, and their division rival Houston Oilers in the AFC Championship game 27-13, the Steelers catapulted themselves into their 4th Super Bowl in six years against the Los Angeles Rams.

Super Bowl XIV started sloppy for the Steelers, future Hall of Fame quarterback Terry Bradshaw threw three interceptions before halftime, and the Steelers trailed 13-10 at the 30-minute mark. They would then lose Lynn Swann in the second half, leaving Stallworth to carry the offensive load, and he did not disappoint. On a key 3rd and 8, Stallworth did his best Willie Mays impression, catching a pass over the shoulder and taking it for six, giving the Steelers a 24-19 lead that they would never give back. Stallworth would catch another long ball from Bradshaw on the next drive, leading to a Franco Harris touchdown, sealing the Steelers 4th Super Bowl victory by a score of 31-19.

The 1979 Pittsburgh Steelers are the last NFL team to win a championship with entirely all home grown talent, and with the way the current state of the NFL works, with big name players on the move every couple of years, I believe it’ll stay that way.

10 NFL Hall of Famers (11 with the addition of head coach Chuck Noll) donned the black and gold in the 1979 season, helping the Steelers seal a dynasty that could be argued to be the greatest in the history of the game.

There’s a reason “The standard is the standard.”

Take a look at the full 1979 roster here. Where does the ’79 team rank in your books? Share your memories from the ’79 season that stick out to you the most in the comments below.

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

I looked up the roster to find the players I didn’t know, several of the lineman weighed less than 250lbs.

I have to point out that fact occasionally when an opposing team's fan starts making **** comments. It's just a little trivia fact that sours some once ade known.

The standard on those teams is a HELL of a lot different than today's team

Salute the nation

I have to point out that fact occasionally when an opposing team's fan starts making **** comments. It's just a little trivia fact that sours some once ade known.

The standard on those teams is a HELL of a lot different than today's team

Salute the nation
That's for damn sure. Now it's just coach speak. I'm glad I got to watch those guys as a kid growing up in Western PA.

I can name every player except #’s 33, 60 and 63.
Played HS football with number 63, Thom Dornbrook at North Hills. I believe he went to the Dolphins and then played in the USFL with the Oakland Invaders and Michigan's team.

Kid was a good baseball player as well, he was the starting pitcher in the WPIAL finals at three rivers. He threw hard but his control issues got the better of him in I believe the seventh inning and NH lost.

Never knew he spelled his name Thom.

Played HS football with number 63, Thom Dornbrook at North Hills. I believe he went to the Dolphins and then played in the USFL with the Oakland Invaders and Michigan's team.

Kid was a good baseball player as well, he was the starting pitcher in the WPIAL finals at three rivers. He threw hard but his control issues got the better of him in I believe the seventh inning and NH lost.

Never knew he spelled his name Thom.
I remembered Dornbrook after I looked up the roster, didn’t know he was local. I don’t remember #33 Anthony Anderson RB from Temple and couldn’t find a #60, must’ve been released.

I remembered Dornbrook after I looked up the roster, didn’t know he was local. I don’t remember #33 Anthony Anderson RB from Temple and couldn’t find a #60, must’ve been released.
You did much better than me and I followed them closely. I attended the AFC championship and the SB in LA thanks to my stepfather. I can say without doubt that the Rams did not have the home field advantage fan wise although they did pick it up vocally as the game progressed and they had the lead.