• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Honorable service member set to return to former employer. Parade.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...dahl-active-duty-army/12616549/?csp=fbfanpage

Reports: Sgt. Bergdahl may return to active duty today

Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl has completed a course of counseling at an Army hospital in Texas and may return to active duty as early as Monday, according to media reports.

The development is being reported by CNN and The New York Times, citing unnamed defense officials.

Bergdahl was released from Taliban captivity May 31 in a controversial trade that resulted in handing over five Taliban detainees to the government of Qatar in return for his freedom.

Bergdahl was held captive by the Taliban for nearly 5 years after he went missing from his post in Afghanistan in 2009. Bergdahl, 28, has completed therapy and counseling at an Army hospital in San Antonio, and will be assigned at the same base, Fort Sam Houston, the Times reported.

Bergdahl will live in barracks and have two other soldiers help him readjust, Times said.

Maj. Gen. Kenneth Dahl has been assigned to investigate Bergdahl's disappearance from his outpost in Afghanistan in 2009. The Army had said, however, that the investigation would have to wait until Bergdahl's health had improved.

An Army fact-finding investigation conducted in the months after Bergdahl's disappearance concluded he walked away from his post of his own free will, CNN reported, citing an official who was shown the report.

But the report said there was no definitive conclusion Bergdahl was a deserter because that would require knowing his intent -- something officials couldn't learn without talking to him, a U.S. military official has said.

Bergdahl's return to service comes after the Obama adminstration drew sharp rebukes from many Republicans -- and even some Democrats -- in Congress for making the swap. Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., had been among those who expressed concern that the Guantanamo Bay detainees released in the Bergdahl deal could return to the battlefield and even kill Americans.

Last week Sen. Carl Levin, D-Mich., who heads the Armed Services Committee, released letters from each of Joint Chiefs expressing support for Bergdahl's "repatriation."

"Each of these military leaders emphasized a simple principle – America does not leave its troops behind," Levin said in a statement. "The unanimous support of the Joint Chiefs for securing Sergeant Bergdahl's release is a powerful statement on the importance of that commitment. I give great weight to their views, and I believe it's important for the American people to hear them."

Lmob0621

Reaction score
I guess if he goes AWOL now, we could just look for him walking against the flow of traffic of the illegals streaming into this nation on the Texas/Mexico border.

Rod Farva

Reaction score
Last week Sen. Carl Levin, D-Mich., who heads the Armed Services Committee, released letters from each of Joint Chiefs expressing support for Bergdahl's "repatriation."

"Each of these military leaders emphasized a simple principle – America does not leave its troops behind," Levin said in a statement. "The unanimous support of the Joint Chiefs for securing Sergeant Bergdahl's release is a powerful statement on the importance of that commitment. I give great weight to their views, and I believe it's important for the American people to hear them."

lmfao....yeah, they had a choice.

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
I was getting ready to post this but you guys beat me to it......This is some crazy stuff...I cant picture other service people treating him very well. I thought they said this guy basically forgot how to speak english. Now in a month or so he miraculously is ready for duty again. This whole story is messed up. Next headline we will see is "Bergdahl Shoots Up Military Post."

hamster

Pronouns: Your lordship
Contributor
Reaction score
We need more muslims in the military. They'll take whatever they can get. Maybe even a promotion is in order. Afterall, he can speak Pashtun now.

oneforthebus

Contributor
Reaction score
Since when do they let deserters back in the army? WTF.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
he's not a deserter. he was willfully illegally detained. and spent years learning from his captors to share with them military secrets.

Badcat

Zero Foxtrot Golf
Reaction score
Back in my day he would be greeted with a full blow military excersize whereby he may or may not fall victim to a training accident.

hamster

Contributor
Reaction score
Back in my day he would be greeted with a full blow military excersize whereby he may or may not fall victim to a training accident.

Accidents happen all of the time. Case in point. In Vietnam, look at how many officers were involved in fragmentation grenade accidents.

Hineswardkickedurpanzyass

Reaction score
I have no idea what really happened when Sgt. Berghdahl went missing. But I do know that our military is now MIA.

Ironcitysteelers

What do I put here? **** it.
Contributor
Reaction score
Snap. BO broke da law? Who wound have thunk it?

(CNN) - The Pentagon broke federal law by exchanging five Taliban detainees for Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl without giving Congress enough of a heads-up, Congress' independent investigative arm announced Thursday.

Susan Poling, the general counsel for the U.S. Government Accountability Office, wrote in a letter to several Republicans in Congress that the Pentagon should have notified "the relevant congressional committees at least 30 days in advance of the transfer."

Moreover, Poling noted that the GAO also concluded the Defense Department broke the law by using "appropriated funds to carry out the transfer when no money was available for that purpose."

hamster

Contributor
Reaction score
No problem. All you need is a phone and a pen.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Snap. BO broke da law? Who wound have thunk it?

(CNN) - The Pentagon broke federal law by exchanging five Taliban detainees for Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl without giving Congress enough of a heads-up, Congress' independent investigative arm announced Thursday.

Susan Poling, the general counsel for the U.S. Government Accountability Office, wrote in a letter to several Republicans in Congress that the Pentagon should have notified "the relevant congressional committees at least 30 days in advance of the transfer."

Moreover, Poling noted that the GAO also concluded the Defense Department broke the law by using "appropriated funds to carry out the transfer when no money was available for that purpose."
S'all right, Bomma is the FBP so it's all good.