• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

How Casey Hampton and Kendrell Bell became Steelers: Redrafting 2001

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
In this retrospective series, we’ll use 20/20 hindsight to play General Manager of the Pittsburgh Steelers to review past drafts – focusing primarily on top 2-3 selections – and personnel decisions year-by-year and redraft or implement trades based on the Steelers roster at the time.

General rule: Any “redrafted” pick will generally fall within a 15-pick range and trade propositions being realistic and attainable.

Steelers situation and needs:

• The 2000 Steelers had a very unique season – recovering from an 0-3 start to going into Week 17 with needing a win vs. the San Diego Chargers and losses by the New York Jets and Indianapolis Colts to qualify for the playoffs. The Baltimore Ravens defeated the Jets for the 1:00 pm game, but the Colts played a Minnesota Vikings team that were locked into the #2 seed and rested their starters after the 1st quarter.
  • Both games started at 4:15 pm EST, and while the Steelers easily took care of their end by defeating the Chargers 34-21, there was not much of a need for scoreboard watching. Peyton Manning had little difficulty out-dueling former Steeler and backup Vikings QB Bubby Brister – who finished 9/18 for 78 yards, 0 TDs, 1 INT and a QB rating of 38.7 on a 31-10 win.
  • The Steelers finished the season 9-7, but beyond the 9-4 recovery from the 0-3 start, the NFL sent the Steelers three official letters of apology for missed calls that impacted the outcomes of three games.
  • Occurrence #1 – Week 2: With 0:14 seconds left in a 23-20 game vs. the Cleveland Browns, QB Kent Graham was sacked on the Cleveland 8-yard line. Per the NFL Senior Director of Officiating Jerry Seeman, the clock was not stopped for the required five seconds and thus the Steelers were unable to kick the potential game tying 31-yard FG.
  • Occurrence #2 – Week 4: The NFL informed the Steelers that referee Walt Coleman was incorrect in not reversing a Steelers challenge (costing the Steelers a timeout) in which Hines Ward should have been credited with an 18-yard TD. Jason Gildon sacked former Steelers and Tennessee Titans QB Neil O’Donnell to knock him out of the game (probably the worst big play of his career), and forced the “injured” Steve McNair to enter the game. McNair easily drove the Titans to score in only four plays to take a 23-20 lead with 1:31 left. The Steelers could have used the extra timeout as they drove to the Titans 32, but Kris Brown was short on a 50-yard FG.

Hines-vs-Titans-challenge.jpg

• Occurrence #3 – Week 11: The most egregious of the missed calls, the Steelers held a 23-13 lead with 3:47 in the 4th quarter vs. the Philadelphia Eagles. They wouldn’t touch the ball again. The Eagles were able to score a TD (aided by a questionable unnecessary roughness call on Lee Flowers), they attempted an onside kick and were penalized for touching the ball before it went 10 yards. On the ensuing play, they committed another blatant violation of the 10-yard onside kick rule, as Hines Ward was clearly blocked before the ball went 10 yards. This would have forced them back 10 yards and a kickoff from the 15-yard line. Instead the Eagles gained possession, kicked a game-tying FG with 0:01 seconds on the clock to tie the game, won the OT coin flip and kicked a FG to win — all when they never should have had the ball.
  • The Steelers were the last team to beat the Super Bowl Champion Ravens, who would go on an 11-game winning streak including playoffs. The Titans were the #1 seed in the AFC, and though they swept the Steelers – both games came down to a last second FG.
  • Kordell Stewart arguably had the best game of his career vs. the Oakland Raiders (who finished 12-4 with the #2 seed). Stewart threw a TD to put the Steelers up 7-0 when he was knocked out of the game and thought done for the day. You’d probably never believe the crowd reaction and how loud it got when seeing him back in to start the 2nd half and leading the Steelers back with 2 more TDs to win 21-20.
  • The 2000 Steelers began showing signs of the talent that would carry the franchise through the rest of the decade, with three rookie starters and four additional starters in their 2nd or 3rd year.

Kevin Colbert isn’t your father’s Steelers General Manager​

Reviewing 2001: 1st Round – #19 Overall; 2nd Round – #39 Overall

There were a lot of trade rumors circulating about the Steelers 2000 draft; while the Steelers ultimately didn’t pull the trigger on any of those deals, it was a different story in 2001. The franchise that had made only four trades involving a 1st or 2nd round pick since Chuck Noll took over in 1969 were active on April 21, 2001.

The Steelers had drafted WRs in the 1st round the previous 2 years and had a promising young WR in Hines Ward, and with Kordell Stewart having a very positive finish to 2000, began to look to shore up the defense. It was rumored Bill Cowher was very high on DT Marcus Stroud and LB Dan Morgan. However, both players were gone by the Steelers #16 pick. After having seven 3rd round picks in the previous 3 years, the Steelers operating without a 3rd round pick due to a salary cap violation involving Will Wolford in 1998. But it didn’t stop Kevin Colbert from being creative. The Steelers traded down three spots with the New York Jets, from #16 to #19 and still landed the player they had next on their board in Casey Hampton. The 2001 draft was a successful one for DTs and while Hampton did not quite get the same acclaim as other NTs, he was the best defensive lineman taken by the Steelers since Joe Greene. Hampton initially rotated with 2000 3rd round DT Kendrick Clancy to start the season at NT, thus shifting Kimo von Oelhoffen to a more natural DE. By Week 5, Hampton had won the starting role for the rest of 2001 and was the anchor of the front three for the rest of the decade. He was never named All-Pro as his job was to take up blockers and free the LBs to make the plays and get the glory. It didn’t stop “Big Snack” from being one of the best DL of the decade. He was named to five Pro Bowls and was named team co-MVP in 2005 along with Hines Ward. Although not renowned for his pass rushing ability, his bull rush sack on Matt Hasselbeck in Super Bowl XL thwarted the Seattle Seahawks drive and ultimately led to the game shifting interception by Ike Taylor.

The Steelers acquired a 4th (#111) and 6th (#181) to move down three spots in the first round. Colbert then packaged the #50 pick and the #112 pick to move up 12 spots to #39 and address the LB need Cowher was also seeking with Kendrell Bell. Super Bowl “hero” Mike Jones was signed from the St. Louis Rams with the idea that he would mentor Bell at first, but that dynamic changed quickly in training camp. Cowher wanted to see how Bell would do in a goal line situation so he motioned Defensive Coordinator Tim Lewis to put Bell in.

Tim Lewis, per the Pittsburgh Post GazetteJoe Starkey

Well, J.B. tries to go over the top, and Kendrell turns his *** backwards, which nobody ever did. I look over at Kendrell, and he’s like a race horse after the Kentucky Derby — snorting, nostrils flaring, eyes the size of silver dollars. He couldn’t talk.”

Jerome Bettis, per the Pittsburgh Post GazetteJoe Starkey:

“I remember it well. My fullback went the wrong way. That left me and Kendrell in the hole together. There was a whole lot of contact. No one stops me like that. I knew right then we had a player.”

Kendrell Bell wasn’t sitting and learning from Mike Jones as per the original plan. “Contact” became his nicknamed as christened by Joey Porter. His explosiveness and power was too much to sit and learn, so the coaches limited him to only two defensive calls as a starter: the “Mac Gun” and “Mac Knife.” In layman’s terms, run fast and find the man with the football. It was successful, generating 9 sacks, winning Defensive Rookie of the Year and named 2nd Team All-Pro in 2001.

Bell’s star shone so bright in those early years, it’s hard to believe how fast it vanished. He was still productive, but injuries to his knee, groin and shoulder plagued him through 2002/2003 seasons and by 2004, he was limited to three games before he needed to have season-ending surgery.

Kendrell Bell, about leaving the Steelers in free agency in 2005, per Ron Lippock:

“It was hard. I really didn’t want to go. Murphy’s law kicked in. After my shoulder surgery I finally got to the point where I could put weight on it. But then against the Raiders I hurt my groin. It was a sports hernia. Imagine, struggling with a shoulder injury than a groin injury all in your last year of your contract. I was like, are you kidding me? It’s scary as a player in that final contract year. That opportunity to make large money all fell apart.”

“I didn’t help myself either. It was mentally challenging. Everyone is pulling at you to make decisions. As a young guy, I didn’t have the perspective I have now. I wanted to stay in Pittsburgh but I was so out of it mentally. I checked out. It wasn’t a money thing. I was just overwhelmed. Whatever my agent said, I just said whatever.”

“I finally got back on the field after groin surgery. We were playing Cincinnati and I blitzed and an offensive lineman tripped and fell on my back and my groin popped again. I jogged off the field and sat down on the sideline. I almost fainted. Ben came up and asked if I was alright and I said I was straight, but that wrapped up the season after that.”

The Steelers still offered Bell the same contract, even after the surgery, but Bell declined. His agent arranged a tryout with the New York Giants and Tim Lewis was there, but he couldn’t pass the physical. Doctors told him he had the shoulder of a 70-year old. When he did get a 7-year offer worth a reported $5M a year with a $10M signing bonus from the Kansas City Chiefs, it has been reflected on as one of the worst FA signings in franchise history. Bell said he “couldn’t even raise his left arm” in 2005. Bell said leaving Pittsburgh was a decision he regretted, the money wasn’t worth it compared to the culture. The Steelers of course, moved on.

Steelers Draft Grade A+​

The Steelers strike gold again in free agency:​

When talking the best free agent signings in Pittsburgh Steelers history, the name Jeff Hartings is definitely at the top of the list. The former first round pick of the Detroit Lions might not have been “drafted” by the Steelers, but the 23rd pick of the 1996 NFL Draft more than made up for the Jamain Stephens debacle. Hartings was a guard that moved over to center – which meant he had big shoes to fill in replacing Hall of Famer Dermontti Dawson. Hartings was recognized 2nd Team All-Pro in 2001, 1st Team All-Pro in 2005 and named to the Pro Bowl for 2004/2005. It can be argued that the 2005 Steelers offensive line was the best the Steelers ever fielded, so it’s safe to say that Hartings did well in holding up the Steelers tradition of great centers.

Jeff Hartings, Steelers Takeaways: Player Memories Through The Decades – Ron Lippock

“I just wanted to stay focused on what I was doing and I didn’t worry about others on the team. I didn’t compare myself to others. I just wanted to do the best job I could and play the best I could. If I wasn’t good enough, well my career is over then. That’s up to me. I definitely feel like some players don’t help others – especially the younger guys who were insecure about their jobs. Detroit was the same as Pittsburgh in terms of players helping one another. It’s an individual thing, not a team or culture thing. Pittsburgh had the better focus on winning and the overall culture of professionalism – in the community and on the field. In Detroit it was more about personal success and money then about winning.”
  • Most famous for “The Tackle” that ended Super Bowl XXXIV, Mike Jones was brought in to fill a role, that ultimately was not needed through no fault of his own. The 31-year old LB was at the back end of his career and remained a Steeler for only one season. But he held no regrets about his time in Pittsburgh.

Mike Jones, per Steelers Takeaways: Player Memories Through The DecadesRon Lippock

“It was never difficult playing the role of mentor to the young guys. All of them, Joey, Kendrell Bell, Clark Haggans wanted to win and play at the highest level. We had a great group of linebackers. The group was in transition, Jason and Earl were transitioning to more a leadership roles and the young guys were excited about taking their game to next level. With a group like that, subtle things were all they needed. With Kendrell, he sat next to me his entire rookie season. It was exciting watching him develop.”

Steelers Free Agency Grade: A+​

Steelers overall 2001 offseason Grade: A+

• Bell’s career may have been short, but it was memorable. Big Snack was just a beast in the middle as no one could run on the Steelers during his prime.
  • When talking the best free agent signings ever, Hartings is a top 5. He kept 5th rounder Chukky Okobi from breaking into the lineup, but Okobi never left the team feeling like it had a weakness for a reserve center.
  • QB Tommy Maddox was signed as a free agent fresh off selling insurance and winning the XFL MVP, and he would soon be the starter and the best passing QB the Steelers had seen in 2 decades.
  • Free agency SS Mike Logan would eventually become a solid backup for the Steelers by 2004.

Redrafting 2001: No Mulligans Needed

Despite his improvement in 2000 and even having a Pro Bowl season in 2001 (also earned three more MVP votes that Ben Roethlisberger ever has) – I was still not sold on Kordell Stewart and was literally praying for Drew Brees. Hindsight proves the Steelers right on target here, as Brees was awful in his first 3 seasons (most people forget that fact) and we ended up with Big Ben. That being said, trading back and still landing the best NT in franchise history, trading up in the 2nd for the DROY and finding the a free agent just coming off his rookie 5th year option in Hartings, the Steelers 2001 offseason was near perfect. There was a weakness in the secondary, particularly at safety and it is regretful that Scott Shields didn’t keep working at his craft.

Bell was dynamic in his short-term time in the sun. Injuries really took their toll on him and he admitted to not handling it well, regretting his decision to leave. Perhaps best served by taking extended time to truly get healthy – it’s a tough situation to be in as his position was snagged up quickly. If you really wanted to get picky, OT Matt Light would have been a great pick at #48, but that is real 20/20 hindsight as the Steelers OT situation was pretty strong at the time: Marvel Smith was just entering his 2nd season and Wayne Gandy was under contract through 2002.

Ironically – the two other defensive players that Bill Cowher was high on: Dan Morgan was an instant hit for the Carolina Panthers and was dominant through, when injuries to his Achilles began to slow him down and he retired, tried a comeback, but ultimately retired for good after 2007. Marcus Stroud also hit the NFL ground running and was a 3x Pro Bowl selection for the Jacksonville Jaguars from 2003-2005. His career hit a major road bump when he was suspended for violating the league’s substance abuse policy and anabolic steroids. It would seem that while Hampton did not achieve the same heights, he held the greatest longevity.

Comments or thoughts? Leave them below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

I definitely see where the 2001 draft was an unmitigated success if you presume the Steelers were going to draft Hampton one way or another. Hampton was indeed excellent, a dominating run stopper and he was going to be there later than pick 16. I get it.

But if the Steelers remained at 16, they can draft Steve Hutchinson, a future Hall of Famer at G, and then get Big Snack's teammate, Shaun Rogers, at pick 50. At the time, I thought Rogers was the better player and his on-field performance showed him to be a veritable force at DT and then NT.

Rogers played 13 years. He was drafted at the end of the 2nd round by the Lions. He had 81 tackles and 3 sacks his rookie year, and then was 2nd team All-Pro in 2005. The Lions traded him to Cleveland in 2008, and he played NT thereafter. In his first season as a full-time NT, he logged 76 tackles, 4.5 sacks and 4 pass deflections. That is pretty remarkable production for a NT. He broke his leg in a game in 2009 and was never the same after that.

He finished his career with 513 tackles, 37.5 sacks, and 27 passes defensed (batted down), compared to Big Snack's 374 tackles, 9 sacks and 3 passes defensed.

The change would be not having the draft capital to make a trade to get Bell. If Bell remains healthy, then the entire thing is a slam dunk. But he didn't and after his amazing rookie season, he was never again remotely close to the same player.

Personally, I think that Hutchinson + Rogers is at least as good as and very probably better than Hampton + Bell.

Reactions: FSF
I definitely see where the 2001 draft was an unmitigated success if you presume the Steelers were going to draft Hampton one way or another. Hampton was indeed excellent, a dominating run stopper and he was going to be there later than pick 16. I get it.

But if the Steelers remained at 16, they can draft Steve Hutchinson, a future Hall of Famer at G, and then get Big Snack's teammate, Shaun Rogers, at pick 50. At the time, I thought Rogers was the better player and his on-field performance showed him to be a veritable force at DT and then NT.

Rogers played 13 years. He was drafted at the end of the 2nd round by the Lions. He had 81 tackles and 3 sacks his rookie year, and then was 2nd team All-Pro in 2005. The Lions traded him to Cleveland in 2008, and he played NT thereafter. In his first season as a full-time NT, he logged 76 tackles, 4.5 sacks and 4 pass deflections. That is pretty remarkable production for a NT. He broke his leg in a game in 2009 and was never the same after that.

He finished his career with 513 tackles, 37.5 sacks, and 27 passes defensed (batted down), compared to Big Snack's 374 tackles, 9 sacks and 3 passes defensed.

The change would be not having the draft capital to make a trade to get Bell. If Bell remains healthy, then the entire thing is a slam dunk. But he didn't and after his amazing rookie season, he was never again remotely close to the same player.

Personally, I think that Hutchinson + Rogers is at least as good as and very probably better than Hampton + Bell.
You make a valid point - though one thing I began doing in this series is grading the Steelers in Free Agency as well. I didn't realize it before doing this series that the Steelers made a play for at least one big free agent to fill a need each year from 1999-2004 - acquiring Wayne Gandy, Kimo von Oelhoffen, Jeff Hartings, James Farrior and Duce Staley.

When you consider that in 2003 they had a verbal agreement (that was very large at the time) with Dexter Jackson at SS, only to have him renege and go with the Cardinals (who bumped up their offer as the agent was making it a bidding war) - it obviously impacts the Steelers draft strategy. There would have been no trade up (and likely no Super Bowls) if the Steelers didn't shift gears to pursue Troy with a draft day trade.

With Hartings, Faneca, Gandy (all 1st round picks) and Marvel Smith as a 2nd round pick -- would you still have gone with Hutchinson? Would you think it was as big a need? The offensive line was pretty dominant from 2001-2005 - would Hutchinson made as big a difference as Hampton did? Not as a player to player comparison as Hutchinson was better, but we already had the best guard of the decade on the line, how much of a difference would it have made with the 2nd best guard? An honest question as I really don't know the answer myself.

In my research for the article, Cowher's wish list was 1. Marcus Stroud, 2. Dan Morgan, 3. Casey Hampton -- but you're correct with Rogers - the 2001 DT class was strong as it also featured Stroud, Richard Seymour and Kris Jenkins.

Big Snack could not be measured in sacks as that was not his job. Aaron Smith was a dominant DE and he couldn't be measured in sacks either. Shaun Rogers played DT in a 4-3 defense. Do you think it's fair to make a straight up statistical comparison?

And could Rogers have executed the role of taking up blockers and freeing the LBs up to make plays like Hampton did? We know for a fact it worked with Casey.

With Bell - yeah he did not last, but it's ironic that Cowher's top 2 players (Morgan and Stroud) did not either. Injuries can impact a lot of players in the game very fast.

With Hartings, Faneca, Gandy (all 1st round picks) and Marvel Smith as a 2nd round pick -- would you still have gone with Hutchinson? Would you think it was as big a need? The offensive line was pretty dominant from 2001-2005 - would Hutchinson made as big a difference as Hampton did? Not as a player to player comparison as Hutchinson was better, but we already had the best guard of the decade on the line, how much of a difference would it have made with the 2nd best guard? An honest question as I really don't know the answer myself.

You never pass on getting a multi-time All-Pro and HOF player. Ever. Plug Hutchinson in with Hartings, Faneca, Gandy and Smith and you have one of the all-time great lines. Think the team is better with a line that can simply impose its will on ANY defense, and run the ball at will almost? QB much less an issue.

In my research for the article, Cowher's wish list was 1. Marcus Stroud, 2. Dan Morgan, 3. Casey Hampton -- but you're correct with Rogers - the 2001 DT class was strong as it also featured Stroud, Richard Seymour and Kris Jenkins.

Big Snack could not be measured in sacks as that was not his job. Aaron Smith was a dominant DE and he couldn't be measured in sacks either. Shaun Rogers played DT in a 4-3 defense. Do you think it's fair to make a straight up statistical comparison?

I noted when Rogers became a NT with Cleveland. First year, 76 tackles, 4.5 sacks, 4 passes deflected. In other words, one season had more passes batted down than Hampton did his entire career and 50% of Hampton's career sacks.

And yes, sacking the QB not his job, yahda, yahda. Got it. Except that is part of his job when he's in the game, right? And I will flat-out admit I think Hampton was worn down after his first four seasons from all the double teams and just not the same, either in play or in effort. I used to watch him and when the opposition passed, he would just play patty-cake with the offensive linemen assigned to block him. Thought he could do a lot more. It looked like he was giving almost no effort.

Then remember the time he was called for holding in a game against New England? He was pissed. The very next play, pass play, he blows by the double team like it was not there and sacks the QB. Literally, the next play, while he is steamed. I saw that and realized that yes, he was taking a lot of plays off.

And could Rogers have executed the role of taking up blockers and freeing the LBs up to make plays like Hampton did?

Teams doubled Rogers all the time. The guy was a force. Huge man, quicker than Hampton particularly after Hampton got fat and slowed down.

With Bell - yeah he did not last, but it's ironic that Cowher's top 2 players (Morgan and Stroud) did not either. Injuries can impact a lot of players in the game very fast.

Yeah, but in judging these things, we always employ the benefit of hindsight. Otherwise, the 1992 draft is just another draft. The 1974 draft might be okay if that Swann kid is any good.

Kendrells rookie season was awesome. I remember thinking he was the next great Steeler linebacker.

I think it was against Jacksonville, he had 2 sacks back to back lining up against the center.

Injuries derailed his greatness

It would be interesting how Big Snack could or couldn't be used today. I think his initial out of college state could still be a force. But I think he would have ate his way off the field with the crazy substitution today, which I think is ridiculous by the way.

You never pass on getting a multi-time All-Pro and HOF player. Ever. Plug Hutchinson in with Hartings, Faneca, Gandy and Smith and you have one of the all-time great lines. Think the team is better with a line that can simply impose its will on ANY defense, and run the ball at will almost? QB much less an issue.
By the same logic, then the Steelers should have drafted Drew Brees in 2001. He's a multi-time All Pro and HOF player. And oh did I want us to draft Brees in 2001.

I am not trying to say you are wrong in any way. You're presenting a great case and that is really what this series I've done is all about. It's good to be challenged on a topic and using logic and facts to back it up as you have. Believe me when I say I have researched a lot before putting this series out -- it would be just "too easy" to just pick a guy who went to the HOF instead of who we did. I'm trying to look at it through the lens of the team at the time.

For example: Going back to the 1985 Draft, Noll's inflexibility was contrary to that of Bill Walsh. Noll was in love with Jerry Rice and was absolutely set to draft him. Noll also thought it was foolish to draft picks - EVER. Walsh was able to move 14 spots to get the greatest WR in NFL history & barely cost them anything and we got DT Daryl Sims - ugh. Theoretically, we could have drafted WR Andre Reed, followed up with Kevin Greene and used a 4th round to take a chance on Herschel Walker because the value outweighed the risk given how the USFL was fading.

Along those lines - I am less critical of the draft activity (trading down in 1st and using that to move up in 2nd and hitting the needs that Cowher wanted) than looking back with perfect 20/20 hindsight. Cowher/Colbert identified their top players and moved on them in 2001. Noll/Rooney couldn't agree on taking Dan Marino in 1983, much less trade up to secure Jerry Rice.

In doing this research for this series, I've learned things about the Steelers I didn't realize or know and it's very much made me less critical of the not drafting Dan Marino in 1983 mistake. Between Dan Rooney's book and Chuck Noll: My Life's Work, I'm convinced the disfunction of the front office would have prevented the Steelers from fielding a competitive team around Marino. Dan Rooney clearly said (in his book) they were about to take Marino until he "made a mistake" and said he got the idea from John Clayton. Noll refused at that point and even though Dan had the authority, Noll had the power. The crazy thing is that Noll called Shula up to tell congratulate him for selecting the best player in the draft.

Getting back to your point: As mentioned Hutchinson was clearly the better player than Hampton. But is it really that cut and dry that you "draft a HOF player" when you just gave out a 6-year $24M contract to Jeff Hartings - who played RG for 5 years in Detroit - and I could not find a source that clearly stated he was brought in to play guard or center. As the offensive line was a huge strength for the Steelers I will counter your point by saying the OL was able impose its will on defenses in 2001 - and again in 2004/2005. And QB was an issue - if you go by the 3 AFC Championship Games and which one didn't have a QB throw 3 INTs.

I also am not as critical of the Bell selection because in doing the research I began to recognize the pattern of when the coaching/personnel staff are in sync, the Steelers are competitive. When they aren't: we have experience the 3- and 4-year playoff droughts. They aggressively went after the player they wanted. If Noll followed this train of thought, it's possible we could have seen Marino to Rice in a Steelers uniform - who knows?