• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

How Mexico Has Become the International Home for Steeler Nation in 2022

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers and Steeler Nation have long been one of the most popular franchises and fanbases in the NFL. Their popularity hasn’t been based solely in the United States however, as the team has a strong following in Mexico, and has for the past several decades. In 2001, the Steelers played a preseason game in Mexico City and was rewarded with love and support from their fans. Since then, the Steelers have made great strides in expanding fan opportunities for their Spanish speaking fans to participate and be included. The Mexican fans have shown an outpouring of love for these opportunities. One Pittsburgh player got to return the love during this year’s NFL Draft.

Najee Harris, the team’s first round pick in the 2021 NFL Draft, was selected to announce the team’s fourth round pick in the 2022 NFL Draft from Mexico City. Harris also spent the rest of the weekend in Mexico City taking part in events with both fans and Steelers’ influencers.

When asked about his experience, Harris responded saying:

“I wanted to explore Mexico City. I had never been out of the country, so I’m interested in learning about different cultures and food. The support there, that was crazy how big the Steelers are there. All the fans that showed up, every time I stepped out people recognized me, that was pretty dope. It was very exciting, such a big fan base.”
“I wanted to explore Mexico City. I had never been out of the country, so I’m interested in learning about different cultures and food.”@ohthatsNajee22 spent draft weekend in Mexico City connecting with fans & taking part in a youth football clinic.https://t.co/fV2p2uOaLg

— Pittsburgh Steelers (@steelers) May 4, 2022

One of the events that Harris took part in was hosting a youth sports camp at a local school. Apart from talking to fans and posing for photos, Harris really wanted to help introduce the game of football to hopefully inspire the future generation of fans.

“That was my favorite part about the trip,” said Harris. “It was great to see how much they know about the sport; this was the best part.”
Steeler Nation Mexico Najee Harris

Photo via Twitter.com/ohthatsNajee22

While Harris enjoyed the fruits of the hard work the team has made over the years with their international marketing campaigns, one must reflect on the beginning of their relationship with Mexico. The Steelers first saw a hint of Mexican fans in the 1970s when they became one of the NFL’s dominant franchises during the iconic Steel Curtain era, winning four Super Bowls from 1975-80. One specific title from that time that helped propel Pittsburgh to being the top team in Mexico was Super Bowl X. This game was important to both the Steelers and the Dallas Cowboys because during the 1970s, Dallas also had large following in Mexico. The winner of this matchup would garner a distinct edge in overall fan representation. The Steelers victory over the Dallas Cowboys helped to solidify the spot as the favorite team in Mexico.

Pittsburgh hasn’t played a game in Mexico in many years, but the idea has been floated. Steelers Vice President of Football and Business Administration, Omar Khan has been one of the biggest supporters for this endeavor. Khan was even quoted saying,

“The passion down there is amazing. They believe in black and Steeler gold down there.”

Steeler Nation international influence​

In 2017, the Steelers hired Maria Rodriguez whose roll is to create Spanish language content for social media. Her current title is International Content Coordinator for the Steelers, and she was in Mexico for the 2022 NFL Draft to watch Harris announce the pick. Rodriguez also met with Mexican celebrity chef, Aquiles Chavez and local influencers. Rodriguez’s outreach and activities to the Mexican fans broadens the fanbase in Mexico. No wonder there is a Mexican flag flown at almost every Steelers game. The team will continue its efforts in appealing to Spanish-speaking football fans in hopes of increasing the already strong relationship with their international branding.

Have you had any interaction with the Mexican fans? Let us know in the comments below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Very apropos article for today (Cinco de Mayo).

Living right on the border, I can tell you that the Steeler-fanaticism of not only Americans of Mexican descent but also Mexican nationals is certainly high. And it's great that players like Najee are continuing to be great ambassadors for the team. And growing up in Antioch, CA, Najee surely has had a taste of the Mexican culture.

"Steeler Nation... a nation without borders."

Probably would have an even larger following had Gabe Rivera "Senor Sack" not have had his career tragically cut short after 6 games. That kid was a beast, ran a 4.9 forty at 300 pounds in 1983. Faster when he lost some weight. From everything I read, a great kid as well. Very sad.