• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

How the world works, 101

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I love that people are so up in arms about Lori Loughlin paying 500k to get her dumb-as-rocks kids in to USC.

People somehow think that the Loughlin's did something each and every one of us wouldn't do if we had that kind of money available to us.

Folks are crazy mad because a couple of girls got in to a college when they really didn't measure up to the entrance standards. These same people have no issue whatsoever that thousands and thousands of athletes get in to college when a large percentage of them most assuredly do not meet the general entrance standards of their respective schools. Nobody laments the insane amount of money schools throw at "student athletes" in the name of having an athletic program.

And one may ask, why would a school allow a student athlete who does not meet their attendance standards to go to their school, much less provide him or her with scholarships? Because... wait for it... they generate MONEY.

Well, in this case the Loughlin's and other stupid wealthy people like them generated MONEY for the school.

Folks who are outraged may want to look in to it. It's kinda how the world works.

While I agree with the premise, they broke the rules. Or the law. Now you can disagree with those, but "that's how the world works." Schools DO take student athletes that don't meet their general academic or testing criteria for their sports programs. That's not illegal and as old as the day is long.

Lying on your entrance paperwork and bribing a school is against the rules/law.

That's the basis of it.

Should both be considered equal? Personally, I don't think so. You shouldn't be able to "buy" your way in when others cannot. But you can study your way in. And you can throw, run, or shoot your way in. But you shouldn't be able to lie and buy your way in.

I'm just saying, the real outrage about this is that the Loughlin's are rich. They paid a bunch of money to get their dumb kids in to a ****** school.

This is hardly news. I bet if you looked at Harvard and Yale students over the last 100 years or so there are a LOT of people who have no right being there aside from their name.

And if you're fine with an athlete being at a school because he/she brings in money, then the fact is those dumb white girls brought in money to the school.

I could “afford” to provide my kids lots of things that I choose not to ($500k to get them into school not being one of them) I’m one of the parents who still says “no”.

I can’t argue that kids should get full athletic scholarships to academic institutions. I enjoy watching college football, but it is what it is.

USC didn’t get Loughlin’s $500k, some con man did.

Last edited:
I think Malcom Gladwell wrote about how, contrary to popular belief, after a certain point of wealth, parents have a more difficult time raising kids because it’s harder to tell your kid “I can afford to buy you (a Ferrari), but I will not buy that for you” than It is to tell them “I simply cannot afford that”, especially when the kids know it to be true.

Wealthy parents have been bribing colleges to let their kids in for generations. the issue here is that they were donating the money to a bogus charity consultant so they could write the bribes off on their taxes.

I'm just saying, the real outrage about this is that the Loughlin's are rich. They paid a bunch of money to get their dumb kids in to a ****** school.

This is hardly news. I bet if you looked at Harvard and Yale students over the last 100 years or so there are a LOT of people who have no right being there aside from their name.

And if you're fine with an athlete being at a school because he/she brings in money, then the fact is those dumb white girls brought in money to the school.
would like to look into one in particular.

im sure this stuff goes on all the time and they just happened to be caught. I think it is wrong period and not the same as athletic scholarships. To me it's more like Warren saying she was native American to get into schools. most kids can get into colleges now a days and if you do well can transfer to another n

Athletic scholarships are earned. Those kids work damn hard for them. They generate revenue and interest for the school.

I'm not a big fan of unqualified kids getting in because their parents make a huge donation to the university. But, this money makes it possible for deserving kids who couldn't otherwise afford it to attend.

Paying off individuals within the university to commit fraud on your behalf is a whole different ball of wax. This money didn't go to the university, it went into the pockets of crooked coaches, athletic directors and paid "consultants".

If I were on the jury, she would get off as long as I did too....if you know what I mean

Meh, you know my stance... abolish the degree system... companies should require certification testing first before looking at other qualifications... pass the damn test then look at whatever subjective nonsense you want them to have, fancy degrees or ethnic backgrounds or whatever floats your boat... at least that weeds out the total deadweight and minimizes the fake importance of college these days...

This is the second time you've mentioned this.
Could you please expound on this?
How did any of these kids bring money into the school other than the tuition their parents paid?
As previously stated by someone else, the bribes didn't go to the school for maintenance and upgrades.
Were other students and alumni paying to come watch the daughters of famous people?

saw a kid today who didnt finish the requirements to graduate get passed thru,,, why because he joined the marines and his ship date is the 16th.

saw a kid today who didnt finish the requirements to graduate get passed thru,,, why because he joined the marines and his ship date is the 16th.

Actually in Ohio and some other states, one of the alternate pathways to graduation just passed by the Dept of Education for 2020 and beyond if kids can't pass their State exams is military enlistment. Other ways are through a required amount of community service or becoming credentialed in some form of high skilled labor before graduation. They still have to pass some tests but if they can't pass all of them, they can get through in these other ways.

Last edited:
Actually in Ohio and some other states, one of the alternate pathways to graduation just passed by the Dept of Education for 2020 and beyond if kids can't pass their State exams is military enlistment. Other ways are through a required amount of community service or becoming credentialed in some form of high skilled labor before graduation. They still have to pass some tests but if they can't pass all of them, they can get through in these other ways.

yes its called capstone. The capstone still has parts that need to be done, included with their military enlistment. Also they have to have enough credits to graduate. He failed to finish both of these.

yes its called capstone. The capstone still has parts that need to be done, included with their military enlistment. Also they have to have enough credits to graduate. He failed to finish both of these.

Crazy. Must have been too afraid to catch **** for not graduating the kid so they pushed him through. There comes a time when no matter the fallout you have to hold kids accountable.

It's always a very tough thing to have to call and tell a parent their kid is not graduating high school. Trust me I've had to make that call to at least one parent every year of my career....sometimes 3 or 4 parents a year. The thing that makes it easier to do is communicating multiple times throughout the school year to the parent and the kid so that it's not a surprise. Also communicating it while they still had a chance and knowing you provided them with every chance possible to fix the situation (i.e doing their homework, attending school, etc.). If they still do nothing and don't make it, it doesn't really have much effect when they scream and call you every name in the book for their child not graduating. As long as you know you've done all you can and they didn't give a **** until it was too late softens the blow a lot.

If working in education has taught me anything, you are going to get screamed at and blamed for it when these things happen no matter how negligent the parent is and no matter how lazy the kid is. It's expected because they have to place the blame elsewhere. You just have to be prepared to lay out everything you attempted to do to help them and remind them of how they ignored all of your warnings for the past 2 months. Eventually they give up and realize how dumb they are making themselves sound.

Last edited:
I'm a Coach and I know what you mean. God forbid the parents take any type of responsibility. You just sit there and let them vent with the printouts of multiple emails and written warnings splayed out in front of them. Eventually you are called an expletive and threatened in some way and they leave in a huff.

NEXT!