• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

How will the Steelers’ secondary look in 2022?

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Let’s think back for a moment to this time last year. Coming off strong seasons in 2020, cornerbacks Steven Nelson and Mike Hilton were both set to hit the free agency market and were not planning on returning to the Pittsburgh Steelers. This left gaps in critical positions in the secondary. Hilton revitalized the nickelback position for the Steelers and fit perfectly into the overall Keith Butler defensive scheme. Nelson was able to lock down half the field and was a perfect compliment to Joe Haden. As we transitioned from the end of the 2020 season to free agency, then to the NFL Draft, all the way up to training camp and the preseason, the Steelers never seemed to be in a hurry to address those concerns. After finishing with the third best pass defense in 2020 (allowed an average 194.4 passing yards per game), General Manager Kevin Colbert and Head Coach Mike Tomlin looked to be content with their depth in preparation of 2021.

Fast forward to where we are today and the conclusion of the 2021 season, the Steelers finished with an average of 215.1 passing yards per game, which is ninth best in the NFL. Needless to say, the entire defense took a step back in 2021, but the secondary continues to be a pain point. As we round the corner into the 2021 off-season, the Steelers find themselves in a similar position as last year in solidifying their depth chart on the backend of the defense. Therefore, I figured I’d throw out my “way-too-early” projection of who we could see starting in the secondary come September.

Left Cornerback

Of the entire secondary, the left cornerback position is the most speculative one; there are so many ways the Steelers could go with this. The first option, and probably most expensive option, would be to re-sign Haden. Haden has been consistent at this position and has a great reputation in Pittsburgh. However, he showed some tarnishes of his age and got beat on big plays. So, what do I think will happen? Well, I do not think they’ll re-sign Haden. His price tag doesn’t match up with his productivity and the Steelers need cap space. Therefore, I see one of two things happening. One, re-sign Ahkello Witherspoon. After coming to the Steelers by way of a trade from the Seattle Seahawks, Witherspoon needed time to adjust to the Steelers’ scheme, but then flourished as the season progressed. With Witherspoon set to hit the free agency market this year, the Steelers’ draft board rides on Witherspoon’s decision. So as the second avenue, turn to the draft.

Assuming both Haden and Witherspoon leave, this will catapult the cornerback position to the top of the Steelers’ priority list in April. In that scenario, there are two names to watch; Andrew Booth Jr. from Clemson and Coby Bryant from Cincinnati. Both prospects will be available for the Steelers; it is just a matter of where the Steelers see this position as priority. Booth Jr. will be a first rounder, so the first pick may come between him and a top-tier offensive lineman. Bryant, however, will likely be selected in the second day of the draft. Both prospects would fit in well in Pittsburgh and play on either side of the field (right or left). So, bottom line for LCB in 2022 is either Witherspoon or a top draft pick, who I think will most likely be Booth Jr. or Bryant.

Right Cornerback

I think it is safe to assume Cam Sutton will regain his starting spot at RCB in 2022. Sutton proved what we all thought last year, in that he has what it takes to transition from an inside slot corner to an outside corner. Although he missed some playing time in October, Sutton held his own on the right side of the field and finished with two interceptions in 2021. 2022 is set to be a contract year for Sutton, as he’s set to become an unrestricted free agent in 2023, so look for him to be determined to show his worth.

Nickelback/Slot Corner

No, I’m not talking about the band with this. Seeing as how much the Steelers utilize the nickelback/inside corner position, I think it is necessary to project who we could see at this role in 2022. A year ago, we were all watching who would take over for Hilton. We saw several ‘names of the week’ in minicamp and training camp, ranging from James Pierre to Antoine Brooks Jr. to Arthur Maulet to Tre Norwood, all of whom seemed to be jockeying for the starting spot. Fast forward to the regular season, we saw both Maulet and Norwood split duties in the slot and weren’t necessarily ‘bad’ in doing so. We can all agree that Norwood played like a rookie who was drafted in the seventh round, but showed he has a very high ceiling. Maulet was a big component in blitz packages and showed he can win battles with his physicality. Maulet is set to become a free agent this off-season, but I think the Steelers re-sign him; he proved his worth for a veteran player. Therefore, I expect more of what we saw in 2021 in 2022. I think we’ll continue to see split efforts inside with Norwood working on his tackling and physicality and Maulet sharpening his coverage skills. For both players being relatively new to the inside slot cornerback role in 2021, I liked what I saw and think they set a high floor of what to anticipate in 2022.

Strong Safety

2021 was a big year for Terrell Edmunds. Seeing as though this past season was the final one of his rookie contract, this was a make-it-or-break-it year for him. I think Edmunds made it. Earlier in his career, Edmunds’ coverage skills lacked and he looked lost on big plays. But since then, he’s come into his own and showed he can be that everyday strong safety the Steelers need. Speaking of ‘everyday safety,’ Edmunds played in every game in 2021. Coach Tomlin always preaches the importance of player availability and Edmunds showed he can be that standard for the defense. Colbert and Tomlin may select a safety in the later rounds of the draft, but it is certainly not a priority for 2022 if they re-sign Edmunds.

Free Safety

Minkah Fitzpatrick is going to be the starting free safety for the Steelers in 2022. I feel fairly confident in that statement being something we can all agree on. However, like Edmunds, 2022 is a contract year for Fitzpatrick too. I’m not saying this is a ‘prove-it’ year for him, but he’ll be watched with close eyes to determine his price tag for an extension. Not to mention the new general manager, whoever that may be, will be closely evaluating him as well. Like the strong safety position, Fitzpatrick missed minimal playing time in 2021 and was a critical component in the rush defense. There is no need to reinvent the wheel at the safety position in 2022 in Pittsburgh.

To conclude, I’m watching what happens at the left cornerback position closer than any other secondary spot this off-season. With them needing to spend more on higher priority positions (quarterback, offensive line, and linebacker to name a few), the Steelers are definitely going to be bargain hunting in the secondary. Lucky for them, there are several diamonds in the upcoming draft; it is just a matter of if they want to pull the trigger early in the draft on a cornerback after the Artie Burns selection. I think the safety and inside cornerback positions will remain unchanged, along with little adjustment on the right-cornerback position as well.

What do you think the Steelers’ secondary is going to look like in 2022? Who do you want to see at cornerback? Let us know in the comments below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

If it will be the same players , how will it look any better, They cannot tackle, chasing receivers, to many time looked like the keystone cops running around in circles. We need defensive backs that cover man coverage,

Re-sign Witherspoon

Trade back in the draft and take J. Brisker S from Penn State with the first pick and Kyler Gordon CB from Washington with the second.

Problem should be solved.

Fix the OL in Free agency and later draft picks.