• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Howard Jones 4.38.4.33 4.36

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN ...b-howard-jones-possesses-speed-chip-shoulder/

I hope all this speed translates into being able to stop all that short **** over the middle crap that's killed us for years.

We shall see.

Joe

Jones is a remarkable athlete. What I like best about him is that he's frantic with his hands; he doesn't let the OT just plant his hands and control him. That's arguably the first thing to look at when watching a pass rusher, and Jones knows to keep his hands moving and work to fight his man. And of course he closes like a maniac. I'm surprised he wasn't drafted; I think he's got a better than 50/50 chance to make the team and avoid the PS.

I really liked this pick up. if the dude is from a mid level school, not even a power conference one... he is drafted for sure...

Jones is a remarkable athlete. What I like best about him is that he's frantic with his hands; he doesn't let the OT just plant his hands and control him. That's arguably the first thing to look at when watching a pass rusher, and Jones knows to keep his hands moving and work to fight his man. And of course he closes like a maniac. I'm surprised he wasn't drafted; I think he's got a better than 50/50 chance to make the team and avoid the PS.

This makes me chuckle...considering all the flack you're giving the FO for drafting Dri Archer. Speed is the new NFL. Let's hope this kid can stick around to show us something!!!

TMC.mentioned him in a thread. Going to be fun to watch it play out.

http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN ...b-howard-jones-possesses-speed-chip-shoulder/

Hand held speed at a work out. These times are always to good to be true. The production is there so he should be just as good as the other Jones right? This guy will be a project and may play special teams this year. I would like for him to do well but he has to change from hand in the dirt to standing up and will have some coverage duties. Porter maybe able to do well with relating to him from a players perspective because he made the same transition but it is still a tough change and will likely take more than one year. Hope the kid does well.

This makes me chuckle...considering all the flack you're giving the FO for drafting Dri Archer. Speed is the new NFL. Let's hope this kid can stick around to show us something!!!

Howard Jones was undrafted, Sherlock

Furthermore, as you'll see in my post above, I see real technique in Jones, and potential for a clear, defined role at a far more important position. Nothing about the two players is comparable aside from their speed.

Last edited:
First off, I hate Sapp. The only thing fatter than his *** is his mouth.

Second, does anyone know why Howard went to Shepherd? I mean why would a kid with that much talent go there? And trust me I am not knocking the school, my Grandad graduated from there many years ago, but why would a kid from the DC suburbs go there? Why not UVA, VT, MD ?

close to home? maybe academics?

I am pulling for him, besides we could use another body at OLBer............

He's reportedly a knuckle head. No instincts. May top out as a pass rusher only instead of a complete linebacker if that.

Love the UDFA's. We have had decent luck with some of them making the team and being major contributors. I hope that trend continues.

According to a coworker's son who also went to Shepherd, Jones can barely read and write. I'm not saying that matters as a football player, but that might be why he ended up at Shepherd?

where do you see this? In all the reviews I've read of him - havent watched the film on him (which is why I'm asking you) - they say his hand placement/work is terrible.

If he can't beat out Chris Carter than he is either dumb as a box of bricks or not talented enough for the NFL...

where do you see this? In all the reviews I've read of him - havent watched the film on him (which is why I'm asking you) - they say his hand placement/work is terrible.

I only watched one game of his. It was the NFLPA All-Star Game. I don't know if I'd say he has great technique with his hands, but he keeps them active. He's not Dwight Freeney or anything, but he's active and frenetic with them, which impressed me.

Let me rephrase. For a late-round project, I was impressed by his willingness to use his hands as opposed to many young pass rushers I see who don't.

The scouting report I read on him used some creative language to imply that he's functionally illiterate. Reading it I couldn't help but be reminded of hearing the stories about Deebo and how he couldn't "get" the playbook for years on end. I've always wondered if that was code for the same thing.

That guy made the tackle that was blocking him look very good. I think after watching that he is a camp body and gone after the first cut.