• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Is C ongress completely ineffectual ?

SteelChip

Contributor
Reaction score
I am seeing this same scenario over and over. This one phrase is almost a daily occurrence.

" ( company name ) has “obstructed” investigations by Congress and failed to produce critical documents"

It is like our elected officials are either hamstrung or ham bones, one or the other, 'cause nobody seems to give a damn when they come around lookin' for information. Private companies can get more information through the freedom of information act than our Congressmen can get through Federal investigators.

Here's the latest fiasco as an example....

Congress will vote to hold Clinton's email server company in contempt
http://freebeacon.com/politics/clin...ail&utm_term=0_b5e6e0e9ea-1d434245fe-22930469

Rep. Lamar Smith (R., Texas), chair of the House Science, Space, and Technology Committee, informed reporters that he is moving forward with procedures to hold in contempt Platte River Networks, a security firm that helped maintain Clinton’s private servers.

Smith announced that he is in possession of emails that show Clinton’s lawyer instructed companies involved with the server to thwart an official investigation by Congress.

Smith’s move to hold the company in contempt would be a first for Congress, which has never exercised this authority on a private company, according to the lawmaker. “We do not take issuing a subpoena lightly, nor do we take holding someone in contempt lightly,” Smith said. “Platte River continues to refuse to comply at the direction of Secretary Clinton. Regrettably, former Secretary Clinton has interfered with the committee’s investigation.”

Yeh yeh, I get all that but here is the kicker.

The company informed Congress last month that it would not comply with several requests for information from federal investigators.

Congress has subsequently obtained emails revealing “not just a smoking gun, but who pulled the trigger,” according to Smith, who said Clinton appears to be the one ordering these companies to obstruct the congressional investigation.

And then the real deal is un-aired.

The House science committee will move forward to vote on holding Platte River in contempt in the coming weeks. If that vote passes, the measure will go before the full House. If approved, the case would be passed on to the U.S. attorney general, who would be tasked with compelling the company to provide the documents in question.

Well no wonder they can ignore Congress.....in other words, if it ever comes down to it, which may or may not get the necessary amount of votes, the DOJ will just refuse to do anything ?

Apparently, the new rule of American politics is: So long as you say the right thing, you can do anything.

memehillary.jpg

Yes.

They can't seem to pass any onerous laws which is a good thing.

BUT

They can't repeal any of the onerous laws we already have which is a bad thing.

As Zona said... enforcing the laws of the land is part of the EXECUTIVE branch of government. And our EXECUTIVE is completely partisan in everything he does. He uses every department and agency to effectively enforce only liberal laws in liberal ways. And if there are any right-leaning laws, even if passed by the LEGISLATIVE branches of state/federal government, he pays millions (perhaps billions) of dollars to lawyers to fight them in court.

That's the legacy of Barack Obama. That no President in the history of our country so effectively used the DOJ, EPA, IRS, FBI and CIA to enact his political agenda to circumvent compromising with an opposite party Congress.

He and his ******* version of legal knowledge has pushed his brand of executive branch governing into very uncharted and dangerous waters. It's the blueprint now for every future President. Refuse to compromise, blame the failure to compromise on Congress, use backroom deals and favors and huge amounts of money/power to buy off the DOJ/EPA/FBI and just do what you want with executive orders and fight like hell in courts.

Sounds like a wonderful system of government there. I'm sure the founding fathers had this exact plan in mind in 1789.

Doesn't it require a cooperative Justice Department to make any of this happen?

Oh they are cooperative all right, but who they are cooperating with is the problem....for us peoples

I think it's about time to drag them tar kettles out of the barns across the Country.

Last edited:
Doesn't it require a cooperative Justice Department to make any of this happen?

Yes.
Also know that Congress has happily abrogated much of their responsibility to the bureaucracy so that they are not accountable to the voters when **** happens that the voters don't like or that they can get stuff done that they don't want to be on record as voting for.
"Who me? No, that was the Department of Blankety-blank."
Democrats are more guilty of this than Republicans but there's a lot of blame at the feet of both parties.
For example I was at an unoffical political meeting the other night at the bar (after our official political meeting) and one local player said that she was unhappy with our Congressman because "he doesn't play ball in Washington and get things done for us". I mildly wigged out and said that I don't WANT him playing ball in Washington because then he'd be no better than the rest of the crooked SOB's there and if you don't like that then you're part of the problem. Our table got strangely quiet for a moment after that. :biggrin1:

It gets pretty obvious when you look at accumulated wealth in office. The Clintons went from less than $1M total wealth in 1993 to somewhere in the $111M range today, according to Money Nation. The Obama's wealth also stands out like a peter in a pickle jar...

Barack Obama's net worth as of the 2008 election: $8 million, as of the 2012 election: $24 million and as of December 2015: $46 million...
Not bad...considering his salary as president is $500,000 a year and he never had a real job, outside of government.

Harry Truman once said..."When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt but protects the corrupt from you - you know your nation is doomed. " He also said, "You can't get rich in politics unless you are a crook"

Well....here we are, good old Harry... He knew what he was talkin' about

Yes.
Also know that Congress has happily abrogated much of their responsibility to the bureaucracy so that they are not accountable to the voters when **** happens that the voters don't like or that they can get stuff done that they don't want to be on record as voting for.
"Who me? No, that was the Department of Blankety-blank."
Democrats are more guilty of this than Republicans but there's a lot of blame at the feet of both parties.
For example I was at an unoffical political meeting the other night at the bar (after our official political meeting) and one local player said that she was unhappy with our Congressman because "he doesn't play ball in Washington and get things done for us". I mildly wigged out and said that I don't WANT him playing ball in Washington because then he'd be no better than the rest of the crooked SOB's there and if you don't like that then you're part of the problem. Our table got strangely quiet for a moment after that. :biggrin1:

This dumb ***** is one of the fools that doesn't realize the Feds getting things done for you is cover for them doing things to you.

It gets pretty obvious when you look at accumulated wealth in office. The Clintons went from less than $1M total wealth in 1993 to somewhere in the $111M range today, according to Money Nation. The Obama's wealth also stands out like a peter in a pickle jar...

Barack Obama's net worth as of the 2008 election: $8 million, as of the 2012 election: $24 million and as of December 2015: $46 million...
Not bad...considering his salary as president is $500,000 a year and he never had a real job, outside of government.

Harry Truman once said..."When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt but protects the corrupt from you - you know your nation is doomed. " He also said, "You can't get rich in politics unless you are a crook"

Well....here we are, good old Harry... He knew what he was talkin' about

I wonder how Tibs wants to explain this with all his love for the democratic party.....

Depends. At about a 90% re-election rate, I bet their dashboards are all green.

Sigh.

1) Term limits for Congress. 2 terms maximum. I don't want to hear any **** about them needing seniority to "get **** done". That's the kind of aristocratic mindset that builds an oligarchy.

2) Congress men and women shall make salaries that are equivalent to the average income of their constituencies. If they want increases in their wage, they need to increase the average income of their states.

3) Congress men and women shall pass no laws under which they will not be equally subject. There shall be no waivers or other arrangements that exempt them from the general terms of their own legislation.

4) Congress candidates cannot accept any financial contributions from any private party, individual or corporate. All campaign funds must be placed into a general fund and each candidate can draw equally at tiered levels as they progress through the election process.

5) Should a Congress man or woman or a candidate be found accepting contributions or inappropriate compensation from any party, private or corporate or should any conspiracy to receive such contributions or special treatment be discovered the Congress member or candidate shall immediately be compelled to vacate his or her seat or candidacy.

6) Complete disclosure of all discussions, dealings and documents shall be made public to the Congress man or woman's constituency. Congress men and women will adhere to a policy of complete transparency in their dealings with the public and more importantly other politicians.

Boom. Your government starts working MUCH harder for you. And suddenly YOU know what the hell is going on.

Imagine if YOUR representative walking in on the "honorable senator from "So and So" and said, "Just so you know, Senator, this conversation will be filmed and broadcast to my constituency. Now about that military base closure..."

1) Term limits for Congress. 2 terms maximum. I don't want to hear any **** about them needing seniority to "get **** done". That's the kind of aristocratic mindset that builds an oligarchy."
Thing is, with that you need to find a way to limit the power of the bureaucracy since they will be there forever.

2) Congress men and women shall make salaries that are equivalent to the average income of their constituencies. If they want increases in their wage, they need to increase the average income of their states."

That's beautiful right there.

And you'll notice Ron, how #2 makes Congressional and Senatorial folks pretty damn OK with #1...

More of the same. Now our Attorney General follows the previous Attorney General in giving the American people the middle finger.

Attorney General Loretta Lynch is declining to comply with an investigation by leading members of Congress about the Obama administration’s secret efforts to send Iran $1.7 billion in cash earlier this year, prompting accusations that Lynch has “pleaded the Fifth” Amendment to avoid incriminating herself over these payments,
http://freebeacon.com/national-secu...nch-pleads-fifth-secret-iran-ransom-payments/