• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Is Matt Corral being overlooked as the probable draft pick for the Steelers?

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Welcome to the pre-draft season! Leading up to the 2022 NFL Draft starting on April 28th, we will be releasing draft profiles of prospects who could potentially see themselves on the Pittsburgh Steelers. Next up…

Matt Corral (Quarterback), Ole Miss, RS Junior

OVERVIEW

Corral is a player who is going to be in the conversation to have his name be the first quarterback called in the 2022 NFL Draft. He comes into the mix as one of the top quarterback prospects entering the draft after leading Ole Miss to a 10-3 season and a Sugar Bowl appearance. After being the only top quarterback prospect missing at the Senior Bowl, Corral will have plenty of chances to prove and possibly separate himself at this year’s NFL Scouting Combine.

PROS

Corral’s athletic ability is going to be the first thing that pops about his game. He routinely has shown the ability to extend plays in the pocket. Corral usually looks down the field first before becoming a runner. He was very successful as a runner in 2021, scoring 11 rushing touchdowns. His arm talent matches his athletic ability. He can step up in the pocket and zip the ball in a tight window. He has a strong arm and no issue driving the ball down the field and a legit NFL arm that can make any throw. He’s already shown the maturity to grow as a player, cutting his interception total down from 14 in 2020 to 5 in 2021.

Matt Corral scouting report pic.twitter.com/4YmnBxjldl

— Mike Tannenbaum (@RealTannenbaum) February 24, 2022

CONS

Slender frame at 6’1” 205lbs. The question will be can he handle hits from NFL players? Corral ended up with a right leg injury in the Sugar Bowl. He benefited from an offense based heavily on play action, RPOs, first-read throws. On the deep ball, has a tendency to wait for the receiver to become open rather than timing it. Naturally has a gunslinger mentality, led to 14 interceptions in 2020, will need to continue showing growth and not revert to old habits.

DRAFT PROJECTION: 1st Round

OUTLOOK

Corral is going to be a quarterback that is coveted by every team in the quarterback market. I can see his name being the first quarterback off the board, as well as I could see him dropping to pick 20. Corral has all the tools to succeed as a starter in the NFL but his size seems to be the biggest question on how long that would last. He may be an option for the Steelers as Matt Canada’s offense could use a skill set like his to show its true potential.

Would you want to see him in the black and gold? Let us know in the comments below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

I'd take him over Willis, but I'd also not take Willis in the first round

Most people forgot about Corral because he wasn't at the Senior Bowl. I think he is in the top 3 of this QB class with Pickett and Willis. I wouldn't trade up for any QB this year but if they really love one of these 3 and they fall to our pick, then they should grab them in the 1st. I don't think any QB in this class should be starting in their 1st year.

I'd take him over Willis, but I'd also not take Willis in the first round

Agree 100 percent. He played and thrived in the best conference in football. Their athleticism is similar so I think his floor is higher and his ceiling is the same. Hard pass on Willis especially with Tomlin as the HC and in charge of his development.

I still see a bunch of second round QBs that some will be pushed into the first round. Corral is more accurate of a passer than Willis. I am not sure that ever changes. Willis will give you that hot and cold Kordell vibe. You know without the WR capable element. Just think there will be better value available at other need positions.

As many as 4qb's will go in round one. None of them will be worth the pick unless Pickett sides to us. Free agency for Turbisky makes sense for cheap if the demand for him is low. T or C in round one Round two and three depending on what we decide to do in free agency G, CB, WR, DL or QB...man we have a lot of needs. Rebuild right, no reaches in the draft.

Pickett is the safest first round pick but corral is one of the guys i can fool myself into being ok with