• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Is Steelers NFL Draft Prospect Malik Willis Really Worth a 1st Round Pick?

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
It seems like every time we talk about the 2022 NFL Draft with the Pittsburgh Steelers, we have to bring up the quarterback position. This is the first time since 2004 that an early quarterback being selected is a realistic possibility for the team, and they aren’t being shy about it.

Both Head Coach Mike Tomlin and General Manager Kevin Colbert have been in attendance for several of the top quarterback’s Pro Days, as well as having several of them scheduled to come in for a visit between now and the draft. The Steelers studying this quarterback class this hard definitely lends one to believe they might be targeting one early.

One of the darlings of Steeler Nation this pre-draft season has been Liberty quarterback Malik Willis, who could end up being the first quarterback taken this year due to his immense upside. However, is he really worth a first round pick?

Steelers 2022 NFL Draft prospect, quarterback Malik Willis | Jonathan Bachman / Getty Images

Steelers 2022 NFL Draft prospect, quarterback Malik Willis | Jonathan Bachman / Getty Images

Steelers should beware…​

In general, this is a weak quarterback class compared to some of the years past, and it is an exceptionally good class at nearly every other position. Saying that, Willis isn’t even the consensus #1 QB for this year’s class, which isn’t ideal since this class is weaker generally speaking.

When considering if Willis is worth taking in the first round or not, you have to look at what he has accomplished, what he does well, and where he struggles.

After starting his career at Auburn, Willis transferred to Liberty in 2019 and became their starting QB in 2020. He tallied 2,250 passing yards, 20 touchdowns to 6 interceptions, and another 944 rushing yards with 14 rushing touchdowns. He did that while leading his team to a 10-1 record and a Cure Bowl victory.

He put together another successful season in 2021 where he threw for 2,857 yards, 27 passing touchdowns to 12 interceptions. Similarly to 2020, he added 878 rushing yards and 13 rushing touchdowns demonstrating his exceptional rushing ability. He put up those numbers while leading Liberty to a solid 8-5 record, as well as another bowl game victory in the LendingTree Bowl.

Now that we’ve looked at his college accomplishments (which are pretty solid), let’s dive into his pros and cons as a player.

Willis has a big arm which could be the best in the class. He has displayed good accuracy both from within the pocket and on the move. His athleticism is elite, legit threat as a runner. He also managed to elevate the play of his teammates and showed to be a great leader getting his team to feed off his energy.

However, while he has all the physical tools, there is still a lot of refinement needed. He needs to work on his mechanics to get them consistent, especially his lower half. If his first read isn’t there, he has a tendency to leave the pocket early without pressure being there. Willis almost has a superhero complex where he feels he needs to always make the big play, which will lead to several negative plays in the NFL. He would be best served sitting a full season to work on his weak areas where others are more NFL ready.

Now, with all that said, it is clear Willis isn’t a finished product, as most quarterbacks aren’t. But, in such a loaded draft class, it isn’t ideal to sit your first round pick for an entire season to make sure they’re set up for success.

We went through the potential reasons to make Willis a first round pick, or to pass on him that early. So now let’s compare him to the last two quarterback classes and see where he would rank with them.

Malik Willis in the 2021 QB Class

1. Trevor Lawrence
  2. Justin Fields
  3. Zach Wilson
  4. Trey Lance
  5. Mac Jones
  6. Malik Willis
  7. Kyle Trask

So in the 2021 NFL Draft, Willis would’ve only been the 6th ranked quarterback based on my rankings. That likely would land him somewhere early in the 2nd round in 2021, or perhaps the tail end of Day 1 if a team traded up for him. Now, 2021 was an exceptionally good year for QBs heading into the draft.

Now, let’s go back another year and see how he would compare to the 2020 class.

Malik Willis in the 2020 QB Class

1. Joe Burrow
  2. Tua Tagovailoa
  3. Justin Herbert
  4. Malik Willis
  5. Jordan Love
  6. Jalen Hurts

I would rank Willis and Jordan Love as more of a 4A and 4B in the 2020 class, as both are guys with top notch physical tools that needed some time to refine their game once entering the NFL. Willis being slightly higher, that would likely mean he gets drafted near the back end of the first round like Love did in 2020.

After comparing where Willis would likely stand in the last two quarterback classes, which were better QB classes, but worse draft classes as a whole, he likely belongs at the end of the first round or first half of the second round in the 2022 NFL Draft.

Even though it looks as though he may not be worth a high first round pick based on the quarterback he is today, that isn’t to say he still can’t develop into an elite NFL quarterback. Out of any of the 2022 QB prospects, he definitely has the highest ceiling, but likely the lowest floor.

What do you think, Steeler Nation? Do you think Malik Willis is worth a first round pick? Let us know in the comment section below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Nope...no way is he worth a #1. If a guy only throws 60% completion rate at Libery with their competition, what is he going to do in the League? 12 INTs to boot. Everyone gets caught up with his arm and running ability. I see Kordell 2.0.

He’s a maybe at #20

I wouldn’t risk a maybe at 20 personally, much less trade up for him. I also don’t rule out that he could become something.

We need more than “maybe” and “could” in my book though…especially if a top CB, WR or a playmaker like Davis starts dropping (would gladly trade up a bit for Davis). I think there will definitely be better value there at 20.

If that's Tombert's guy then yeah...if not then no. I am thinking they might have a bit more info on him than I do and a few others here.......maybe that is. Or maybe not I am thinking. Actually, I am guessing. Which the draft usually seems to be. A guessing game.

What is the over/under on "how many Willis threads" on if we should draft him or not will be posted before the draft? Anyone want to take a guess?

He barley threw for 2,800 at Liberty. His completion percentage was low, and when he played SEC competition the result was three interceptions. This guy is not a chain mover in the NFL and lacks pocket presence taking a lot of sacks. I hope another team takes him before Tomlin does.

What is the over/under on "how many Willis threads" on if we should draft him or not will be posted before the draft? Anyone want to take a guess?

Just shy of 7,931

Salute the nation

Many say he is late second round talent, possiblu high 3rd.. It would be like picking Edmonds AGAIN, to high in the draft.

Obviously if they take him I want him to over exceed and be very successful on our STEELERS team.

I can't see taking him if the right talented guy is there for us, DAVIS / WR / S, I think they are done with OL but what if Penning was there......

Salute the nation

He barley threw for 2,800 at Liberty. His completion percentage was low, and when he played SEC competition the result was three interceptions. This guy is not a chain mover in the NFL and lacks pocket presence taking a lot of sacks. I hope another team takes him before Tomlin does.
You want to throw barley on him, you kinky *******.

I don't like Willis as a prospect but damn it I almost have to rethink that now.

I tend to agree… small schools can be a treasure trove of talent… but for every Steve McNair there are a dozen Dan McGuires… he just feels like he is going to Troy Edwards in the worse way…

Rnd 1 Davis/Wyatt
Rnd 2 ridder/ corrall
Rnd 3 Wr fast a 4.3 guy perhaps if the North Dakota tall kid is there or pierce or pickens

Rnd 1 Davis/Wyatt
Rnd 2 ridder/ corrall
Rnd 3 Wr fast a 4.3 guy perhaps if the North Dakota tall kid is there or pierce or pickens
Im hearing corral is climbing a lot… pickens is a guy I suspect they will be looking at alot…

The real problem with taking Willis at 20, or God forbid giving up a ton of draft capital to move up to #5 for example, is that not only are you using that valuable pick on a project but you are passing on a player much, MUCH more likely to be a very good NFL contributor for years to come - players like Trevor Penning, Jordan Davis, Kaiir Elam, Derrick Stingley, George Pickens, Leo Chenal, Skyy Moore, John Metchie III.

Oh, and a very, very good prosect in the 2023 draft - somebody like Zion Nelson (OT), Brandon Joseph (S), Nolan Smith (OLB). See, that's because a trade up requires giving up three picks for the one guy.

Would any sane person trade Trevor Penning, George Pickens and Nolan Smith for Malik ******* Willis? Or Jordan Davis, John Metchie III and Zion Nelson for Malik ******* Wills?

Yeah, no.

I simply was not impressed with him at the Senior Bowl. I was more impressed with Ridder and Picket. I would hope they stay pat at 20 and grab the best WR or DL at that spot. Lets see what we have in Mitch this year and if he plays lights out then we have our guy, if not we take our QB next year with a better crop of QB's.

Would any sane person trade Trevor Penning, George Pickens and Nolan Smith for Malik ******* Willis? Or Jordan Davis, John Metchie III and Zion Nelson for Malik ******* Wills?

Yeah, no.
So, you're questioning the sanity of Mike "Never A Losing Season" Tomlin?

Yeah, me too!

So, you're questioning the sanity of Mike "Never A Losing Season" Tomlin?

Yeah, me too!

Exactly. Also, I would like the board to note that I am the first person to identify Willis' middle name: ********

Time will tell and if Coach Tomlin goes with said project than I hope like hell the kid pans out. If not then we dug a 3 year hole to try and get out which will also waste our current star players football life expectancy.

Tombert isn't stupid and realized what's at stake, I just hope the stakes are cooked right.

Salute the nation

Time will tell and if Coach Tomlin goes with said project than I hope like hell the kid pans out. If not then we dug a 3 year hole to try and get out which will also waste our current star players football life expectancy.

Tombert isn't stupid and realized what's at stake, I just hope the stakes are cooked right.

Salute the nation
This is a great point. If he built a championship ready D wasting all the time 2-3 years on a Willis kills 2-3 years of guys like Watt/Heyward/Fitzpatrick. Couple that with if it takes 3 years for him you’d just be starting to have draft capital again and the benefit of a rookie QB contract is much less as the contract is already almost over by the time he is ready. It seems like an awful fit for where this team is at (trading up for a project)

The Steelers are paying the price for a series of poor early round picks - Devin Bush, Terrell Edmunds, James Washington, Artie Burns, Sean Davis, Senquez Golson. Too many misses in the 1st and 2nd round.

Everybody misses on 3rd rounders. I get it. But invest a ton of draft capital and a top-10 pick on Devin Bush and watch him play patty-cake with a guard and be a non-factor? Nope, no thanks.