• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Is the Undersized Daxton Hill a Possibility for the Steelers with the 20th Pick?

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
This franchise still needs a safety! Could Daxton Hill be the answer? Welcome to the pre-draft season! Leading up to the 2022 NFL Draft starting on April 28th, we will be releasing draft profiles of prospects who could potentially see themselves on the Pittsburgh Steelers. Next up, you guessed it…

Daxton Hill (Safety), Michigan, Junior

OVERVIEW

Hill, although labeled as a safety, is truly the definition of a defensive back in this draft. He has shown throughout his career at Michigan that he can play both safety and slot corner, something the Steelers have shown to covet with Minkah Fitzpatrick and Tre Norwood. While there are size concerns for Hill as a safety, 6’0″, 192 lbs, he has shown a toughness in his play. Hill tested extremely well at the NFL Combine in February, putting his name in the discussion for the second day safety drafted, as well as a late first round possibility.

PROS

VERSATILITY. He can provide depth or starting capabilities at both safety and slot corner. He is willing to put his body on the line and be a forceful tackler even though he lacks ideal safety size. World class athletic traits to pair with great anticipation and route recognition. Historically productive in both zone and man coverage schemes.

Steelers Daxton Hill

via NFL Next Gen Stats

CONS

Lacks ideal bulk at the safety position, which allows bigger blockers to take advantage of him. He’s more of a shoulder tackler than a wrap up defender, leaving too much room for a broken tackle opportunity. There’s a strong possibility he ends up as a corner versus safety, so depends what you are looking for. Versatility can be a curse if he cannot master one position.

Michigan DB Dax Hill declares for the NFL Draft pic.twitter.com/3Qx1Uw0SEg

— John (@FromEastLansing) January 6, 2022

DRAFT PROJECTION: Late 1st or 2nd round

OUTLOOK

Hill is someone that I have mocked to the Steelers given they have yet to address the position in free agency. Using the 20th pick on Hill isn’t something I would be a fan of because this feels like the same decision they made when selecting Terrell Edmunds, who is currently a free agent because the Steelers declined his 5th-year option. Although, he isn’t someone I would be surprised seeing called with the 20th pick since he checks all of the boxes for the Steelers brass. Mike Tomlin and Kevin Colbert attended Michigan’s Pro Day, Hill tested incredibly well at the combine, played for a Power 5 conference, entering the draft early as a junior, and has position flexibility as a safety/slot corner. It does make sense.

Would you want to see Hill in the black and gold? Let us know in the comments below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

I doubt he will be only option there. I think there will be at least 4 higher value players there and 2 of those will be players of need for us.

Salute the nation

1.20 should have very few question marks at all.
With Hill you have size plus position question marks. I think his better position might be corner, I think we need a SS not a corner playing SS.

And you are correct in round one you prefer maybe 1 question mark beyond that you knock the prospect down a peg value wise IMO. Maybe even down a round.

I rather get a WR or true CB instead of hybrid. There's only one 1st round SS in the draft.
Same. The Steelers should be in pretty good position to get one of the top WR/CB prospects at 20, a true No. 1 option at either position and both are premium positions in today's game. I believe both would be better options than any of the safeties outside of Hamilton making a stunning fall.

To me a defender in the first 20 picks should have very minor question marks. You are getting like the 10-12 best defender that is draft eligible in all of CFB.

To me a defender in the first 20 picks should have very minor question marks. You are getting like the 10-12 best defender that is draft eligible in all of CFB.
That is why a team has to fight the temptation to reach. If you put your team in the position to be able to pick BPA at a lot of positions then you have a fighting chance to maximize your draft. Otherwise you might need to trade up or down to maximize value. I think if they stand pat a RT/CB/WR/Dline can bring the most rd 1 value. If they want SS that might be best served as a trade down or up.

I'm starting to think they will not go oline rd 1. There should be a damn good Interior Dline, CB or Wr at 20. No reach.

I'm starting to think they will not go oline rd 1. There should be a damn good Interior Dline, CB or Wr at 20. No reach.
I would be happy with that for sure. 👍

Dax Hill is a great player, I just can't see him 1.20. I think he may go late first round to K.C. I really like Cine from Georgia. Very physical safety. When he hits something it stops. He imposes his will on a tackle and would be a good match for MF.

Dax Hill is a great player, I just can't see him 1.20. I think he may go late first round to K.C. I really like Cine from Georgia. Very physical safety. When he hits something it stops. He imposes his will on a tackle and would be a good match for MF.
Yeah I think some like Cine a little less. Some a little more. I am definitely in his camp. I think he is a SS upgrade and a "safe" pick. The best value pick? Not sure that would be dependent on how the draft falls.