• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Jefferson sets new bar in wr contracts

I still think we sold way too low on DJ... just to make sure he went out of conference... had we dealt him later we could have probably gotten a bigger return because that cap hit for this year looks like a steal now...
100% agree

wow that is insane. May as well just trade Pickens now. A QB basically touches the back every offensive play a good game a WR catches 10 balls. It is also easier to neutralize a WR than a QB. Not sure how teams are going to pay a top WR and QB without handicapping everything else.

Well, it is what it is. If Pickens wants paid in that neighborhood then he better post Jefferson's production: 5,899 yards, 30 TDs in last 4 years. That's 1,475 yards, 7.5 TDs a season, compared to 940 yards, 4.5 TDs a season. Not really in the same neighborhood. We should see a bump in Pickens' production this year but we will see.

which makes it entirely unlikely we trade for Aiyuk now.
Deebo? possible.

I still think we sold way too low on DJ... just to make sure he went out of conference... had we dealt him later we could have probably gotten a bigger return because that cap hit for this year looks like a steal now...
Thats to put it mildly, besides getting next to nothing in return, DJ was never a stud #1 WR, but he was a solid route runner and atleast a middle of the road to high end #2 WR.
Now we have Pickens and two later round short slot recievers with next to 0 NFL experience.

I applaud the Steelers for upgrading at QB but this current WR situation is 100% self inflicted wounds created by one of the worst offseason moves you could make.

I'm no D.J. fan either but how many Rookies come in and look like a #1 or #2 WR right away? Even the great ones usually take a season or two to take off.
Puca nacua was a major exception to the rule.

Not meant to disrespect Roman Wilson, I hope he comes in and makes me regret typing this but its a longshot.
Antonio Brown had 16 catches his rookie year.
16 with a prime Big Ben,

They can say whatever they want in the media everyone knows they left a gaping hole at WR.

I believe there is a good chance Deebo will be the target. SF will not want to pay both Aiyuk and Deebo and you have to believe SF sees more upside with Aiyuk.

WR market is insane.
Compare WR to RB market and it is even more crazy.

I believe there is a good chance Deebo will be the target. SF will not want to pay both Aiyuk and Deebo and you have to believe SF sees more upside with Aiyuk.
See, again I dont understand this train of thought...

San fran is in "win now" contender mode. Why would they deal either guy if they dont have to?

The 9rs rolled 36 million dollars in cap space over from last year so they currently have a 25 million dollar surplus in cap space.. so they arent cap strapped..
Aiyuk is playing under his fifth year option... he cannot hold out of the regular season without accruing massive fines and losing his UFA status next season... which is not exactly useful for leverage...
the 9rs arent a team looking to trade current stars for future picks... they would be more likely to trade their picks to add to this team than sell right now..

Tgey could just stand pat, and if need be franchise and trade him or deebo next season

I hope so; I welcome Deebo over Aiyuk for our needs.

I'd keep drafting wideouts. You should get 2-3 good years out of them, maybe 4 if you have a 5th year option.

If they keep balanced enough with the running game and actually use the te for more than blocking, all will be fine as a collective whole.
This. I go into every draft picking 2 WR knowing that there will be constant turnover and you’ll never be able to sign a top tier to a second contract.

This. I go into every draft picking 2 WR knowing that there will be constant turnover and you’ll never be able to sign a top tier to a second contract.
I said this after they traded Chase C. And still think they should. just hold out for more than what they got for DJ

I said this after they traded Chase C. And still think they should. just hold out for more than what they got for DJ
Steelers have had a good run, since AB trade, of getting great value in WR deals. Draft, develop, trade is a great low cost strategy, so long as the rest of your positional needs are met.

Last edited:
What kind of pocket change, will Deebo need?

Salute the nation
He has 2 years left in his contract type of "pocket change". We trade for him we have to years to decide if we have to give him more....

An article on our homesite stated we would rip up his contract and hand him $30 mill a year. Why we would do that is bonkers to me. As I said in another thread. I am sure Pickens would want his contract then ripped up and redone.

He has 2 years left in his contract type of "pocket change". We trade for him we have to years to decide if we have to give him more....

An article on our homesite stated we would rip up his contract and hand him $30 mill a year. Why we would do that is bonkers to me. As I said in another thread. I am sure Pickens would want his contract then ripped up and redone.

Thanks stillwright, appreciate the response and all your great post(s) along the way.

I'm in that boat as well, we can only pay so many. The offense has several rookies, thus keeping overall costs down allowing the huge discrepancy from offense to defense cost. It will have to become more balanced but I can't see a 30+ mil WR in the works, just yet. See what Pickens gives us as he may very well be that high $$$dollar$$$ WR.

Salute the nation

Fun Fact. The Browns have two players (Watson and Ward) and the Ravens have two players (Smith and Tucker) who have the largest contracts at their positions. Cinci has Burrow who is the highest paid QB Average per year. The Steelers have none, but do have TJ and Minkah who are top three respectfully.

With the Jefferson deal, Minnesota now has the highest paid WR and TE (guaranteed money) in the league.

It sure doesn't make a lot of sense where I sit either. And this "self-proclaimed" heavy rushing team would all-of-a-sudden hang $60 mill per year on 2 WRs? How does that add up?