• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Josh Gordon Arrested

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11178895/josh-gordon-cleveland-browns-arrested-dwi

Browns' Josh Gordon arrested
Updated: July 5, 2014, 4:14 PM ET
ESPN.com news services

RALEIGH, N.C. -- Police say Cleveland Browns wide receiver Josh Gordon was arrested and charged with driving while intoxicated after speeding down a street in Raleigh.

Police spokesman Jim Sughrue said Gordon was taken into custody after being pulled over for going 50 mph in a 35 mph zone on U.S. 70 in northwest Raleigh around 3 a.m. Saturday.

Raleigh police captain Tommy Klein told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter that Gordon was "appreciably impaired."

Gordon was released on bail. Court records did not list an attorney. DWI in Raleigh is driving subject to an impairing substance.

Browns general manager Ray Farmer said the team is aware of the arrest and is disappointed. He didn't comment further.

Gordon could be facing a one-season NFL suspension for another failed drug test. He was suspended two games last season for violating the league's substance-abuse policy.

According to Pro Football Talk, Gordon's appeal hearing has been set for late July, unless the NFL and NFLPA agree on a reduced suspension before then.

In early June, Gordon pleaded not guilty to a speeding ticket. Gordon was stopped for going 74 mph in a 60 mph zone on May 25. He was fined $187. His passenger was cited for possession of less than 200 grams of marijuana.

Gordon, 23 was suspended four games last season, which he attributed to using codeine. On appeal, that was reduced to two games not playing and two games played without pay.

He had 87 catches for 1,646 yards last season, and became the first player in NFL history to have consecutive 200-yard receiving games.

Gordon also was suspended twice while at Baylor, the second time indefinitely after failing a drug test. He transferred to Utah, where he sat out the 2011 season. After being taken by the Browns in the supplemental draft, he admitted failing a drug test at Utah as well.

Indianapolis Colts linebacker D'Qwell Jackson, a former teammate of Gordon's in Cleveland, took to Twitter on Saturday:

Information from ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter, ESPN.com Browns reporter Pat McManamon and The Associated Press was used in this report.

"Information from ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter, ESPN.com Browns reporter Pat McManamon and The Associated Press was used in this report."

No way D'qwell Jackson posted this on twitter

They might as well just trade Johnny now. He's set up to fail

"Information from ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter, ESPN.com Browns reporter Pat McManamon and The Associated Press was used in this report."

No way D'qwell Jackson posted this on twitter

Yep...Adam Schmuckter knows no shame.

Still can't believe they passed on Watkins knowing Gordon was out for a year. Now it sure looks like its a wrap on Josh's career.

Here's the article from the local website. He blew barely above the limit. Either way, **** him and **** the brownies.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/clevel...-gordon-arrested-for-dwi-in-raleigh/13788850/

RALEIGH, N.C. — Josh Gordon, a wide receiver for the Cleveland Browns, was arrested in Raleigh early Saturday and charged with driving while impaired. Records also show that his $500 bond was posted by Haydn "Fats" Thomas.

Gordon, 23, was arrested near Glenwood Avenue and Argyle after being pulled over for going 50 mph in a 35 mph zone. Gordon admitted to consuming three mixed drinks after officers detected a "strong odor of alcohol."

The arrest occurred at 2:53 a.m. and Gordon's blood alcohol content was listed as .09. The legal limit in the state of North Carolina is .08.

Thomas was the figure at the center of the events that led to P.J. Hairston's career at North Carolina ending early. In one of multiple off-the-court run-ins, Hairston was stopped in a vehicle that was being rented by Thomas and cited with marijuana possession and driving without a license.

Thomas, a Durham party promoter and convicted felon, has been linked to other area student-athletes, including Hairston's former teammate Leslie McDonald, who was reinstated by the NCAA last season after missing nine games for accepting impermissible benefits that included cars, hotels and a cell phone.

Gordon is already facing a season-long suspension from the NFL for failing an offseason drug test. He was suspended two games last season for violating the league’s drug policy.

Browns General Manager Ray Farmer said the team is aware of the arrest and is disappointed. He didn't comment further.

... Gordon's blood alcohol content was listed as .09. The legal limit in the state of North Carolina is .08.

This is why you should ALWAYS refuse the test if you've even had just ONE drink. I could juggle running chainsaws at .09, because .09 is not impaired for everyone. If he refused, he could've fought it in court, now he's ******.

This is why you should ALWAYS refuse the test if you've even had just ONE drink. I could juggle running chainsaws at .09, because .09 is not impaired for everyone. If he refused, he could've fought it in court, now he's ******.

I heard a refused test in NJ (maybe others too?) is the same as a positive test in the eyes of the court.

I heard a refused test in NJ (maybe others too?) is the same as a positive test in the eyes of the court.

That is true, the charge is treated the same way. But its much easier to fight the charge of a refusal than an actual reading on a machine. However, when you're shitfaced and your swaying and slurring, then you're F'd - as you should be- b/c the officer can use your behavior and actions as evidence of impairment. I'm not suggesting a refusal as a way to get off if you're actually impaired, DUI is no joke, people die. But there is no reason for a person to lose their livelihood for having a drink or two while eating dinner over the course of a couple of hours. I'm saying .08 is a little over the top, its practically zero-tolerance because one drink will get most people there.

Interesting stat from several years ago prior to reduction in bac levels to .08. This is based on memory and any discrepancies will be minor. The source was a DUI training class I took as a police officer. In 90% of all fatal accidents one of the drivers is impaired. Of that 90%, 95% of the drivers impaired ranged from .07 to 1.7 bac. The old standard was 1.0 bac. Under the law prima facia evidence for dui was 1.0 or above, relative evidence of dui was .06 to .09 and could result in a dui conviction with supporting evidence. In fact individuals could be and have been convicted as low as .000 with supporting evidence, as controlled substances will produced similar effects as alcohol impairment yet not produce any readings to support this on a breath testing device.

In many states a refusal is an automatic revocation of your license for one year and maybe up to life. That stays in effect even if you get a license in another state, you will still be operating while revoked in the state you were charged.

On a side note the dui laws do occasionally produce an anomaly. I arrested a guy at the scene of an accident that my two partners did not think was intoxicated. He still seemed very functional appeared to have normal gate and motor skills. He failed a horizontal gaze nystagmus test. I arrested him took him in and he blew a 2.2 BAC on the breath machine. Everyone was stunned. The guy was a local news caster and was on the television every day. He was an alcoholic that was still very functional in some areas while inebriated, so much so that he could pass most field sobriety tests at the time with no difficulty.

The first thing that one looses when impaired is ones judgement and ability to make decisions, the impairment results in more time being required to make decisions than when unimpaired, which is why so many that were previously under the legal limit were involved in fatal accidents. Best way to avoid dui is not to drive after drinking, have someone else drive. The only thing that will truly allow you to overcome the effects of impairment is time. Time allows your body to metabolize the alcohol and return to normal.

Dui charges are being treated much more seriously than they were in the past. When I was talking about 90 % of all fatalities above the actual number of fatal accidents that was used in those numbers varied annually between 35,000 to 50.000 fatal accidents a year in the United States.

Refusing a test is seen as a positive result in most states. He should be thrown out of the NFL for life. He can't and won't learn. What a total ***.

It's funny because it' Cleveland shooting itself in the foot yet again. Tragic-comic endlessly repeating reel of failure.

Farmer has already screwed the pooch.

With a year long suspension looming and with such a short leash it makes you wonder why the Browns didn't take Watkins or Evans with their first pick.

Football aside I really do hope the kid can find help. Doesn't look good that the guy who came bail you out has a rap sheet a mile long.

Here's the article from the local website. He blew barely above the limit. Either way, **** him and **** the brownies.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/clevel...-gordon-arrested-for-dwi-in-raleigh/13788850/

RALEIGH, N.C. — Josh Gordon, a wide receiver for the Cleveland Browns, was arrested in Raleigh early Saturday and charged with driving while impaired. Records also show that his $500 bond was posted by Haydn "Fats" Thomas.

Gordon, 23, was arrested near Glenwood Avenue and Argyle after being pulled over for going 50 mph in a 35 mph zone. Gordon admitted to consuming three mixed drinks after officers detected a "strong odor of alcohol."

The arrest occurred at 2:53 a.m. and Gordon's blood alcohol content was listed as .09. The legal limit in the state of North Carolina is .08.

Thomas was the figure at the center of the events that led to P.J. Hairston's career at North Carolina ending early. In one of multiple off-the-court run-ins, Hairston was stopped in a vehicle that was being rented by Thomas and cited with marijuana possession and driving without a license.

Thomas, a Durham party promoter and convicted felon, has been linked to other area student-athletes, including Hairston's former teammate Leslie McDonald, who was reinstated by the NCAA last season after missing nine games for accepting impermissible benefits that included cars, hotels and a cell phone.

Gordon is already facing a season-long suspension from the NFL for failing an offseason drug test. He was suspended two games last season for violating the league’s drug policy.

Browns General Manager Ray Farmer said the team is aware of the arrest and is disappointed. He didn't comment further.

what ppl don't get is there is NO LIMIT. Its a "presumed limit". You can blow under the "limit" and be taken in. That's why so many DUIs occur without "really" being drunk. You are screwed if you are driving late and have more than 3 beers in you and you see the lights flashing behind you.

why speed after you've had a drink or two, anyway?
at what point does common sense kick in and say "you know what, let's not **** up."

You can't fix stupid no matter how much athletic ability you have.

Million dollar talent with a ten cent brain. Almost 1,700 yards on a 14 game season and this kid can't learn not to speed and do drugs. I thought the Browns were crazy when I heard he was on the trading block then couldn't believe no one offered them anything for him. Now I am realizing why. If someone could reach him and get him on the straight and narrow who knows what this kid could do in the NFL with an actual NFL quality QB. I mean he could possibly break Calvin Johnsons season record for yards. It is so sad when you see that much talent wasted on a person like that.

Still can't believe they passed on Watkins knowing Gordon was out for a year. Now it sure looks like its a wrap on Josh's career.

This is my thought on that trade. I think (just guessing no actual facts) that they viewed Mike Evans as a good enough prospect and thought he would be there later when they traded down. That is my only logical explanation and when the Bucs took Evans the Browns traded up to get Gilbert so I am assuming he was the last of the top tier guys that they wanted. The thing that really has me scratching my head is that they took NO receiver in the draft but doubled up at CB with their last pick in Pierre Desir and took a RB when they signed one to be their starter in the offseason. I guess we will see if it all works out for them but if history is an indicator it will fail miserably.

This is my thought on that trade. I think (just guessing no actual facts) that they viewed Mike Evans as a good enough prospect and thought he would be there later when they traded down. That is my only logical explanation and when the Bucs took Evans the Browns traded up to get Gilbert so I am assuming he was the last of the top tier guys that they wanted. The thing that really has me scratching my head is that they took NO receiver in the draft but doubled up at CB with their last pick in Pierre Desir and took a RB when they signed one to be their starter in the offseason. I guess we will see if it all works out for them but if history is an indicator it will fail miserably.

ark will get laid before the browns figure out football

why speed after you've had a drink or two, anyway?
at what point does common sense kick in and say "you know what, let's not **** up."

That is the effect of alcohol, the first thing lost is judgement and reasoning ability.

That is the effect of alcohol, the first thing lost is judgement and reasoning ability.
untrue
first thing I lose is my inability to dance.