• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Kinkhabwala: Mathieu Enticed by Thought of Playing for Steelers and Mike Tomlin

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers are still looking for a starting strong safety, even though they re-signed Karl Joseph last week. And even though there has been zero news from Pro Bowl safety Tyrann Mathieu since last Monday, it appears the Steelers are still involved with him.

Doing her weekly appearance on 93.7 the Fan in Pittsburgh, NFL Network’s Aditi Kinkhabwala reported that the Steelers and Mathieu isn’t a dead conversation. We found out last week that Mike Tomlin had put in some work to recruit Mathieu to Pittsburgh by giving him at least one phone call.

.@AKinkhabwala says on @937theFan that Honey Badger to the Steelers ISNT DEAD. Honey Badger finds playing for Mike Tomlin to be enticing. But also, the Steelers have an offer on the table for Terrell Edmunds.

STAY TUNED.

— Andrew Fillipponi (@ThePoniExpress) April 4, 2022

Now Kinkhabwala reports that Mathieu is indeed interested in playing for Tomlin and that it’s an ‘enticing’ prospect for him. We know that Tomlin is a well respected coach around the NFL within the players community. It isn’t often or ever that you hear a player say something negative about Tomlin. Last week Mathieu stated that he wanted to go somewhere that there was strong leadership, and between Tomlin and the likes of Cam Heyward, and TJ Watt he would have that. Not to mention his counter part in the secondary would be Minkah Fitzpatrick.

Terrell Edmunds coming back to Steelers?​

Another interesting point she made on the show was that the Steelers have a possible offer on the table for Terrell Edmunds. Edmunds of course was allowed to walk and test free agency, but it’s been a dry market for him and nearly all of the safeties in the league so far.​

It’s unclear whether Edmunds could just agree to the deal and the Steelers would be off of the Mathieu train, or if the deal for Edmunds is in correlation to what Mathieu decides to do with his services.

Stay tuned, we will update with more audio when it’s available.

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Enticing for less than $10 million per and then maybe. Otherwise, it's not worth discussing. Minkah is getting $17 million per give or take. Edmunds can be had for probably $4 or 5 million and he is just fine as a complement to Minkah as long as we shore up the DL first and foremost in the draft.

I am ok with Edmunds returning. At least the position won't be downgraded.

The idea of Mathieu is probably better than the actual reality of Mathieu. I still think he's a good player, the cost is just a concern. I'd still like to see the Steelers build some younger depth as they set themselves up for the present and future.

The idea of Mathieu is probably better than the actual reality of Mathieu. I still think he's a good player, the cost is just a concern. I'd still like to see the Steelers build some younger depth as they set themselves up for the present and future.
True but if he comes off his want. When it gets closer to camp some vets figure out that well isn't as deep as they first anticipated. Then it would be an interesting sign. I think if Edmunds signs obviously that would kick any possibility off the table.

Haven't been hearing much from Aditi since her little "falling out" with the tolin/steelers.

If the SS cost to much then pass and get Edmonds back. We've beat this horse a lot but Edmonds is better than a lot here give him credit for.

He is slightly above average and you can't have All Pro's at every position.

Salute the nation