• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Let’s talk radiation….

madinsomniac

Reaction score
So by now, I’m sure you’ve heard about tge controversy about Japan discharging water from their busted Nuke plant…
China, the Koreas, and other South Pacific nations are throwing fits about their plan… and of course the environmental insanists are hyperventilating about it

Here is the thing. They are, for the most part, ignorant morons of epic proportions… radioactive material is literally all around us every single day and is mostly naturally occurring… high doses are absolutely harmful and even lethal, but every day you are being bombarded by all sorts of radioactive sources…

Now most of them are so minute that they simply don’t matter.. much like everyone has trace amounts of arsenic in their body but it’s not enough to affect their system…
For Radiation, as with most harmful substances, the government has come up with safe exposure limits… these are typically intentionally set to be a fraction of what is actually known to be safe, which means any actual harmful amount is not likely to ever be reached if people follow the guidelines..

Japan is treating and filtering the water, then diluting it with other seawater before releasing it a kilometer out in the sea. The only radioactive material that will be left in it is a substance that is relatively harmless to humans and will still be a small fraction of the most stringent WHO guidelines on such things… it actually will be less than a third of what China and South Korea currently release from their own operating nuclear facilities….

This is all just noise to rally more attacks on Nuclear Power .. which remains the safest and cleanest power in the world…

I'm surprised Bill Gates doesn't want to secretly bottle and sell it.... and use for his diabolical population control scheme

Last edited:
MV5BYjgzOGM3N2QtZGMyNi00Y2E2LWFiMWYtZGYzZTM1Nzc4M2IxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzE5MzI1OTg@._V1_.jpg

So by now, I’m sure you’ve heard about tge controversy about Japan discharging water from their busted Nuke plant…
China, the Koreas, and other South Pacific nations are throwing fits about their plan… and of course the environmental insanists are hyperventilating about it

Here is the thing. They are, for the most part, ignorant morons of epic proportions… radioactive material is literally all around us every single day and is mostly naturally occurring… high doses are absolutely harmful and even lethal, but every day you are being bombarded by all sorts of radioactive sources…

Now most of them are so minute that they simply don’t matter.. much like everyone has trace amounts of arsenic in their body but it’s not enough to affect their system…
For Radiation, as with most harmful substances, the government has come up with safe exposure limits… these are typically intentionally set to be a fraction of what is actually known to be safe, which means any actual harmful amount is not likely to ever be reached if people follow the guidelines..

Japan is treating and filtering the water, then diluting it with other seawater before releasing it a kilometer out in the sea. The only radioactive material that will be left in it is a substance that is relatively harmless to humans and will still be a small fraction of the most stringent WHO guidelines on such things… it actually will be less than a third of what China and South Korea currently release from their own operating nuclear facilities….

This is all just noise to rally more attacks on Nuclear Power .. which remains the safest and cleanest power in the world…

My father used to make the nuclear fuel rods for reactors. He handled plutonium pellets.

He will turn 75 in Nov. He's fine. No cancer or issues. Of course he's like super ocd about procedures, so that helps.

There's no reason we shouldn't have nuclear power running this country.

This run everything on batteries forever is ******* bullshit and a scam.

My father used to make the nuclear fuel rods for reactors. He handled plutonium pellets.

He will turn 75 in Nov. He's fine. No cancer or issues. Of course he's like super ocd about procedures, so that helps.

There's no reason we shouldn't have nuclear power running this country.

This run everything on batteries forever is ******* bullshit and a scam.

Yep its the guy going around selling monorails to rube towns in a nutshell… lol. The lithium is bad for the environment, the batteries won’t last long, and disposal costs will dwarf everything in a few years…

Batteries are a good idea when the right technology is available… not right now

Yep its the guy going around selling monorails to rube towns in a nutshell… lol. The lithium is bad for the environment, the batteries won’t last long, and disposal costs will dwarf everything in a few years…

Batteries are a good idea when the right technology is available… not right now
Batteries won't ever be legit on a whole sale level until the source of the fuel charging them is owned by the individual. No reason that us folk in Wyoming don't have wind turbines that are small, added to each home. Give us a small battery pack, and we can generate all we need, without killing the raptors and migration routes around here.

My mom worked as a control room operator at the Beaver Valley power plant. She passed away at 73 from colon cancer which spread to the lungs. Obviously there is no way of knowing whether the plant caused the cancer or not. My uncle is a gov't nuclear chemist who worked on safe disposal he is probably pushing 90 now i haven't talked to him in many many years. I think nuclear power is relatively safe but there are some definite issues. You have bugs that drink the contaminated water, then birds eat those bugs etc etc.... Also a incident can turn into a decades long problem

AS many of you might know from past conversations, my father is a retired nuclear engineer, I have pictures of myself a a kid standing in what was going to be the containment unit at Zimmer before delays caused by over regulation forced them to convert construction to coal. Yay environment. /he has traveled all over the world and was at 3 mile Island within hours of that malfunction. He was never exposed to any significant radiation and always said if there was a place to be during a natural disaster or even a man made one the place to seek shelter would be any US nuclear power plant. He helped design and sell the containment and filtration systems for these plants and across the world. Nimby’s killed the golden goose. We should be supplying 100% of all over needs through nuclear and actively building new plants to make it possible to lessen reliance on fossil fuels where possible. Not for the environment as much for national security. I am a huge proponent of nuclear power.

My mom worked as a control room operator at the Beaver Valley power plant. She passed away at 73 from colon cancer which spread to the lungs. Obviously there is no way of knowing whether the plant caused the cancer or not. My uncle is a gov't nuclear chemist who worked on safe disposal he is probably pushing 90 now i haven't talked to him in many many years. I think nuclear power is relatively safe but there are some definite issues. You have bugs that drink the contaminated water, then birds eat those bugs etc etc.... Also a incident can turn into a decades long problem
No there are really no issues with US power plants. Radioactive water is in a totally self contained system and doesn’t intermingle with the outside water. You do realize that Three mile island was able to keep operating the other reactors and no one was exposed to any significant radiation despite it being the worst case scenario possible for a US built plant and th public was not in danger. The Japanese plant was improperly built and operated. US plants do not share those design flaws and are meticulously regulated to prevent those oversights.

I'm sorry that your Mom passed at a relatively young age, but you are correct in saying there is no way of knowing the cause of the colon cancer. Might as well say bacon.

My neighbor just retired as a nuclear engineer at Palo Verde, the largest nuclear plant in the country and is convinced it's the only viable solution.

AS many of you might know from past conversations, my father is a retired nuclear engineer, I have pictures of myself a a kid standing in what was going to be the containment unit at Zimmer before delays caused by over regulation forced them to convert construction to coal. Yay environment. /he has traveled all over the world and was at 3 mile Island within hours of that malfunction. He was never exposed to any significant radiation and always said if there was a place to be during a natural disaster or even a man made one the place to seek shelter would be any US nuclear power plant. He helped design and sell the containment and filtration systems for these plants and across the world. Nimby’s killed the golden goose. We should be supplying 100% of all over needs through nuclear and actively building new plants to make it possible to lessen reliance on fossil fuels where possible. Not for the environment as much for national security. I am a huge proponent of nuclear power.

The issue is that because people are stuck in the past and frightened little idiots, the government wouldn’t allow newer nuclear plants with modern technology to be built. A new nuke plant has virtually no chance of a meltdown because instead of using giant rods, they use smaller pellets or balls that are easier to cool and dispose of in an emergency…

The same thing with coal.. a old coal plant could be emitting thousands of parts per million of SO2 and hundreds of ppm of Nox… with all the clean coal tech those numbers can drop into single digits… mercury and particulate matter can be virtually wiped out from emissions … even CO2 can be captured and turned back into fuel…

Funny thing though… in the obama era CO2 regulations that were mercifully thrown out, they FORBADE using carbon capture to remove CO2… almost as if tgey werent as worried about emissions of CO2 as much as shuttering coal plants

People would freak out if they realized the calcium in their bones emits radiation. People have zero understanding of how much background radiation there is in the environment.

Radiation and or radioactive material scares me. I really don't know anything about it.

I think nuclear power is relatively safe but there are some definite issues. You have bugs that drink the contaminated water, then birds eat those bugs etc etc....

That may be the dumbest worry about nuclear energy ever stated. AOC is just shaking her head saying, "Damn, dude."

Nuclear plants create energy by having control rods, loaded with at least 3% U235, emit heat. Uranium 235 is derived from processing the more plentiful Uranium 238. The U235 emits energy (i.e., heat) when it degrades. The control rods are contained in a sealed, pressurized chamber filled with water. The water is under significant pressure, which means the water can reach temperatures up to 660 degrees F. That water is cycled through a series of pipes which are put into contact with a second series of pipes with water running through it. The heated water from the core heats and boils the water in the second coil and that steam turns the turbine.

The U235 is not in contact with any water that could possibly wind up being by bugs and then "eaten by birds." The system is enclosed. Second, the clearly mistaken belief is that something that becomes radioactive due to exposure to something like U235 (a process called radioactive induction) remains radioactive for decades, millennia. Not true. Most materials (apart from heavy metals) remain radioactive for a matter of months, days, sometimes even hours.

So even assuming that for some reason irradiated water escapes from the core (people would probably notice) and a bug drinks the water (which presumably is now cooler than 660 degrees F), and a bird eats the bug, the entire group would probably not be significantly radioactive for more than a matter of days.

Third, the amount of radiation in your bug-drinks-nuclear-core-water-bird-eats-bug scenario is going to be astonishingly low. You will suffer more radiation exposure by skiing, or going to the beach, or flying, or gardening, or attending a Little League game. The reason for this is that the greatest radiation exposure for 99.9% of us is the giant nuclear fusion reactor in the sky.

People would freak out if they realized the calcium in their bones emits radiation. People have zero understanding of how much background radiation there is in the environment.
I would love to see a survey where people were given a choice to ingest several items where the choices included absolutely irrelevant and safe levels of scary things and dangerous or deadly levels of normal things…

Like a choice between the amount of radiation you get from a suntan and a deadly dose of caffeine. Or the amount of mercury found in a typical fish against a lethal dose of nicotine

A
That may be the dumbest worry about nuclear energy ever stated. AOC is just shaking her head saying, "Damn, dude."

Nuclear plants create energy by having control rods, loaded with at least 3% U235, emit heat. Uranium 235 is derived from processing the more plentiful Uranium 238. The U235 emits energy (i.e., heat) when it degrades. The control rods are contained in a sealed, pressurized chamber filled with water. The water is under significant pressure, which means the water can reach temperatures up to 660 degrees F. That water is cycled through a series of pipes which are put into contact with a second series of pipes with water running through it. The heated water from the core heats and boils the water in the second coil and that steam turns the turbine.

The U235 is not in contact with any water that could possibly wind up being by bugs and then "eaten by birds." The system is enclosed. Second, the clearly mistaken belief is that something that becomes radioactive due to exposure to something like U235 (a process called radioactive induction) remains radioactive for decades, millennia. Not true. Most materials (apart from heavy metals) remain radioactive for a matter of months, days, sometimes even hours.

So even assuming that for some reason irradiated water escapes from the core (people would probably notice) and a bug drinks the water (which presumably is now cooler than 660 degrees F), and a bird eats the bug, the entire group would probably not be significantly radioactive for more than a matter of days.

Third, the amount of radiation in your bug-drinks-nuclear-core-water-bird-eats-bug scenario is going to be astonishingly low. You will suffer more radiation exposure by skiing, or going to the beach, or flying, or gardening, or attending a Little League game. The reason for this is that the greatest radiation exposure for 99.9% of us is the giant nuclear fusion reactor in the sky.

Also, all that water is ultra pure and totally deionized so there aren’t even trace metals in them

You'd think the Japanese would have learned their lesson by now about putting nuclear **** in the ocean.
Do you want Godzilla to come out of the sea? Because this is how Godzilla comes out of the sea.
I've seen all the movies, I know how this works,

US plants do not share those design flaws and are meticulously regulated to prevent those oversights.
This is an understatement. Nuclear power plants are so closely monitored and regulated. There'd be fewer problems if the other power options also had strict standards.

Perhaps an irrational concern, but: What would happen if the U.S. were to become involved in a conflict with a country (China or Russia) that has no intention of occupying the U.S. post conflict. What would be the result if they bombed all the nuclear power plants? Would it be Chernobyl-like?

Perhaps an irrational concern, but: What would happen if the U.S. were to become involved in a conflict with a country (China or Russia) that has no intention of occupying the U.S. post conflict. What would be the result if they bombed all the nuclear power plants? Would it be Chernobyl-like?
I don't know that we have very many nuke plants left.
I live near the Shippingport, PA nuke plant (first one in the U.S.) and for a few years after 9/11 they had extra security, my neighbor was one, and the Army manning anti-aircraft guns in the parking lot. Of course if China pays Joe and Hunter a few bucks they could make the anti-aircraft guns go away.

My father was on the investigative committee in the US after Chernobyl. There task was to make sure nothing like that could ever occur here. He said it was the shortest easiest job he has done. The type of plant, construction and manner of operation there was so backwards from what any rationale person would ever consider that they determined the only lesson to be learned was not to let the Soviets have anything to do with designing, building and operating a power plant.

To your question the containment dome on a US nuclear power plant combined with all the redundancies built in makes them a very very hardened target. That said if the goal os to destroy us with no hopes of occupation they are going to be using nukes and the question is irrelevant. More realistically would be a terrorist attack and that would be harder than you think to create a containment breach. These plants were designed to withstand an airplane crash without losing containment as well as various major natural disasters. Shutting it down could be accomplished but not breaching containment.

My father was on the investigative committee in the US after Chernobyl. There task was to make sure nothing like that could ever occur here. He said it was the shortest easiest job he has done. The type of plant, construction and manner of operation there was so backwards from what any rationale person would ever consider that they determined the only lesson to be learned was not to let the Soviets have anything to do with designing, building and operating a power plant.

To your question the containment dome on a US nuclear power plant combined with all the redundancies built in makes them a very very hardened target. That said if the goal os to destroy us with no hopes of occupation they are going to be using nukes and the question is irrelevant. More realistically would be a terrorist attack and that would be harder than you think to create a containment breach. These plants were designed to withstand an airplane crash without losing containment as well as various major natural disasters. Shutting it down could be accomplished but not breaching containment.

Adding on - the U235 creates a self-sustaining reaction. The U238 emits electrons, protons and some neutrons as it breaks down but not nearly as much as the U235 and not enough to trigger more unnatural reactions, which is why the power plant is run by U235. The control rods cannot generate the reactions unless exposed to each other, and the control rods in the power plants are separated by rods which absorb a vast amount of the radiation the control rods emit. These rods are filled with neutron-absorbing material such as boron or cadmium. (As detailed in the Netflix series, the Russians used a cheaper, more plentiful element (graphite) in their absorption rods but graphite creates a potentially explosive gas under very unique circumstances, hence the problems.)

If something occurs to the core, or is power is disrupted to the plant, the absorption rods drop down automatically and stop the self-sustaining reaction and cool the core. Of course if a psycho blows up the plant with a very, VERY large explosive, then the highly radioactive materials in the core are released. That would be basically a "dirty bomb." However, since the control rods are contained in a large self-contained metal chamber, and the chamber is housed in a reinforced concrete building with a floor that is something like 8' of steel-reinforced concrete, it would take a MASSIVE explosion to release the control rods. A nutjob could kill more people just by setting off an explosion that large in an urban area.

You'd think the Japanese would have learned their lesson by now about putting nuclear **** in the ocean.
Do you want Godzilla to come out of the sea? Because this is how Godzilla comes out of the sea.
I've seen all the movies, I know how this works,
QBR

Adding on - the U235 creates a self-sustaining reaction. The U238 emits electrons, protons and some neutrons as it breaks down but not nearly as much as the U235 and not enough to trigger more unnatural reactions, which is why the power plant is run by U235. The control rods cannot generate the reactions unless exposed to each other, and the control rods in the power plants are separated by rods which absorb a vast amount of the radiation the control rods emit. These rods are filled with neutron-absorbing material such as boron or cadmium. (As detailed in the Netflix series, the Russians used a cheaper, more plentiful element (graphite) in their absorption rods but graphite creates a potentially explosive gas under very unique circumstances, hence the problems.)

If something occurs to the core, or is power is disrupted to the plant, the absorption rods drop down automatically and stop the self-sustaining reaction and cool the core. Of course if a psycho blows up the plant with a very, VERY large explosive, then the highly radioactive materials in the core are released. That would be basically a "dirty bomb." However, since the control rods are contained in a large self-contained metal chamber, and the chamber is housed in a reinforced concrete building with a floor that is something like 8' of steel-reinforced concrete, it would take a MASSIVE explosion to release the control rods. A nutjob could kill more people just by setting off an explosion that large in an urban area.
1170183819-Star_Trek__Scotty_Approved_by_JudiHyuga.jpg