• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Many To Blame For Steelers Loss to Vikings; Ben Roethlisberger Not One of Them

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers took a devastating blow to their playoff hopes on Thursday evening with a 36-28 loss to the Minnesota Vikings. What arguably may have been the team’s easiest remaining game on the schedule was anything but that for Mike Tomlin‘s team. There was an astonishing amount of mistakes made throughout the game which ultimately led to a 29-0 hole that the Steelers could not quite dig themselves out of. The hardest part of the entire game however, was watching a 39-year old quarterback, presumably in his final season, be one of the few players to show heart and passion throughout the contest regardless of the scoreboard.

Ben Roethlisberger was 28/40 for 308 yards with three touchdowns and an interception (which was more so on his receiver than him). Roethlisberger seemed like he was one of the, or maybe the only one who was playing like the season depended on it. He was sacked, and not gently may I add, five times. We saw him chirping Tomlin on the sideline and shaking his head in disgust at times because of how poorly the team’s performance was for the majority of the game.

ESPN‘s headline this morning is “Steelers Nearly Complete Huge Comeback.” Other than a few defensive plays and rare mistakes from Kirk Cousins, that should read, “Roethlisberger Nearly Completes Huge Comeback.”

Make no mistake, Roethlisberger can’t throw, catch and run all by himself, but the comeback efforts were thanks to no one other than the veteran. Watching that game really made me understand this is his final year wearing the black and gold, and will certain players rally behind that and put themselves before the team? Pretty sad in my opinion.

It goes beyond just efforts though, but mental mistakes, coaching preparation and decisions too.

Whose idea was it to put Justin Layne one on one in the red zone against Justin Jefferson?​

Although it did not go for a touchdown, it sure should have. Jefferson was wide open and just barely enough pressure in the backfield allowed for a misfire from Cousins.

Why did it seem like every other snap from Kendrick Green was nearly soaring over Roethlisberger’s head?​

Many snaps were caught with just Roethlisberger’s right hand over his head as he is nursing a bad shoulder. Green had communication issues with Roethlisberger and certainly played like a rookie last night. It might be necessary in the offseason to draft a true center and move Green to his natural position at guard.

Why wasn’t Chase Claypool benched long before the 4th quarter comeback?​

Tomlin concedes he benched Claypool for his first quarter personal foul. Safe to say, Claypool didn’t get the message. pic.twitter.com/c2momo8Mdb

— Albert Breer (@AlbertBreer) December 10, 2021

So what if he had eight receptions for 93 yards? If he doesn’t receive a taunting penalty on the first offensive drive of the game, the whole matchup may be different. If he decided to block his assigned guy on a short 3rd down, a drive continues rather than another weak Pressley Harvin III punt. And finally, the Steelers would have had one, maybe two more offensive plays inside the 12-yard line had Claypool not celebrated a simple first down with his team down eight and 30 seconds to go.

How in the world was the defense this ill-prepared for Dalvin Cook?​

Whether you expect him to play or not, there needs to be a game plan set in stone for his abilities. The holes open to him by his offensive line made it seem like we were indeed watching junior varsity football, as Tomlin said. Cook ran for a league season high, 205 yards on the ground.

The defense failed to record a sack for the second time this year after have 75 consecutive games with at least one.​

The Vikings were missing arguably their best offensive lineman. It’s not like Cook ran the ball 50 times. Cousins dropped back to pass 31 times and while there was occasional pressure, no one could make a play.

Honorable mention for playing at 100% the entire game goes to Minkah Fitzpatrick, Najee Harris and Trai Turner.

Coming off an emotional divisional win is surely tiring, but the Vikings were just as exhausted physically and mentally after losing to the winless Detroit Lions last Sunday. You could almost convince me this loss is on anyone on that sideline other than #7. He played his heart out and always does which is why he will go down as one of the most beloved and cherished players in Steelers history.

Who do you think is at fault for Thursday night’s loss? Let us know in the comments below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Big Ben showd the Youngbloods what Steeler pride was all about… never been prouder of a Steeler… I was in hostile bar watching the game everyone knew I was a ‘burgher was I getting ****… and I said watch they will either let go and go no huttle and we win the game or Canada keeps calling plays and we get trounced… everyone was impressed that I even knew who the OC was.. typical Steeler… I called it Ben almost brought us back, the bar was going crazy... you can’t fault muth.. but that’s Pittsburgh you get hit and you get back up and you hit back.. you tighten your ******* chin strap and hit again… I don’t no where we start to rebuild but we are going to really find out how bad we really are when Ben is gone.. I’m going to enjoy every game he plays and cheer him on… he was and is, one of the greatest Steelers of all time!

Ben was incredible last night after the beating the ****** OLine let him take in the 1st half.

Ben did make an incredibly bad mistake at the end of the game that an incredible effort by DJ erased. The next to last play of the game Ben stupidly threw short over the middle to DJ and the clock would have expired after DJ was tackled but his incredible quickness and elusiveness allowed him to get out of bounds. The fan base would have been livid if the game had ended on this horrible decision.

I'm glad to see some emotion last night. Ben, Minkah, Harris, Muth,DJ and Heyward always stand out to me.

They need a full team culture like that. If you're a childish little self centered **** waffle, please play for someone else. Ask for a trade. The Steelers need men on the team not little boys posing as men.

They also need a real man to lead them not the cheerleading jock sniffing bullshitter who has allowed this culture to fester.

Big Ben showd the Youngbloods what Steeler pride was all about… never been prouder of a Steeler… I was in hostile bar watching the game everyone knew I was a ‘burgher was I getting ****… and I said watch they will either let go and go no huttle and we win the game or Canada keeps calling plays and we get trounced… everyone was impressed that I even knew who the OC was.. typical Steeler… I called it Ben almost brought us back, the bar was going crazy... you can’t fault muth.. but that’s Pittsburgh you get hit and you get back up and you hit back.. you tighten your ******* chin strap and hit again… I don’t no where we start to rebuild but we are going to really find out how bad we really are when Ben is gone.. I’m going to enjoy every game he plays and cheer him on… he was and is, one of the greatest Steelers of all time!

Hate to burst your bubble, but when they went no huddle Canada was still calling the plays. From an article in A Pittsburgh paper today:
"And he did it by making decisions on RPO calls from offensive coordinator Matt Canada that resulted in any number of 30-plus-yard pass plays to his receivers, including a 30-yard touchdown to James Washington."
LIke I told Wig in the game thread, but of course because he's a Ben cultist he didn't believe me " The plays are still coming in I can see him looking down listening."

I’ve **** on BB this year(early on but it as of late). It’s the front office and MT fault. The fact they didn’t put a OL in front of this man is the reason the season has gone this was on O. Def I blame on Mt and injuries or “person” not playing.

I still have the feeling BB is done. Done with Steelers. He will play again next year.

I’ve **** on BB this year(early on but it as of late). It’s the front office and MT fault. The fact they didn’t put a OL in front of this man is the reason the season has gone this was on O. Def I blame on Mt and injuries or “person” not playing.

I still have the feeling BB is done. Done with Steelers. He will play again next year.
Utterly ridiculous and stated so from Ben himself.

Throwing out the standard vitriol from the fanbase that’s gonna hate Tomlin no matter what he ever does.

Ben wields influence in the Steelers organization to the point where it won’t be matched.

Part of the problem for Ben is so many young guys vs. the history he built up with guys like Pouncey, DeCastro, etc. Don’t underestimate the facts he’s “alone” at his age and experience

Throwing out the standard vitriol from the fanbase that’s gonna hate Tomlin no matter what he ever does.

Ben wields influence in the Steelers organization to the point where it won’t be matched.

Part of the problem for Ben is so many young guys vs. the history he built up with guys like Pouncey, DeCastro, etc. Don’t underestimate the facts he’s “alone” at his age and experience
Really? So BB said give me a line full of rookies and let me get pounded left and right. Yup. Sounds right to me. **** out of here.

Really? So BB said give me a line full of rookies and let me get pounded left and right. Yup. Sounds right to me. **** out of here.
He said he wasn’t playing anywhere else as well as when he does go, he’ll be off the grid meaning away from public.

The rest of your bullshit - go **** yourself.

From another thread:
Think about something:. Nobody is left but Tomlin and Butler. Since 2004 Ben has been here, cowher and every other person that passed thru this organization, gone. He's still here. He can't possibly identify with any of these new players. He obviously doesn't like their music, have you listened to anything new these days you liked? His view of the world is most definitely different from these guys who are all about rainbows and. Pumping up their brand. Every friend the guy gets goes away.. he probably does what he does and goes home.

Ok. I’m not the one that starting flinging my dick around. You came at me. All I said was I can picture BB still playing because from what I have seen of late. Dude still got it. Is he top shelf, no but dude can still ball.

He has no fn line. Period. A blind person can see that. SO my point that the FO and MT ****** up by not protecting their greatest asset is fn retarded.

To the he doesn’t identify with folks bs. He and they have a ******* job to do. Did Peyton jam out with his young Denver folks, is Brady and his old *** balling out with his young teammates. Bs excuses. BB was the young buck when he came in and balled out and won with old heads. Did they not jive with him? Da fuq out of here.

And check my posts for years. I have stated MT is a top 5 coach in this league but his time with us has long passed. I’m not a hater but it’s been time for him and his standard to go.

So you want to tell me to **** off for that. Fine. But I’m correct.

And check my posts for years. I have stated MT is a top 5 coach in this league but his time with us has long passed. I’m not a hater but it’s been time for him and his standard to go.

I've said before that Shades is a Top Five coach but neither is this the 70's with 7 or 8 future HOF head coaches on the sidelines every week. There are 10 head coaches in the HOF who coached in all or part of the 1970's.

Explain to me exactly what Tomlin has done. He won a SB with a bunch of very competent coaches and a great roster. He got to another with same coaches and slightly different roster. What since?. It's been a ****** decade of almost make the playoffs. One and done and running into the Patriots or drum roll the Jacksonville Jaguars. Are we supposed to wait another decade so every single person in Pittsburgh can see he needs to go. The Packers Coach. Gone. The Eagles Coach gone. These are teams that won SB after Mike won his. Does he get a forever contract and why?

Ok. I’m not the one that starting flinging my dick around. You came at me. All I said was I can picture BB still playing because from what I have seen of late. Dude still got it. Is he top shelf, no but dude can still ball.

He has no fn line. Period. A blind person can see that. SO my point that the FO and MT ****** up by not protecting their greatest asset is fn retarded.

To the he doesn’t identify with folks bs. He and they have a ******* job to do. Did Peyton jam out with his young Denver folks, is Brady and his old *** balling out with his young teammates. Bs excuses. BB was the young buck when he came in and balled out and won with old heads. Did they not jive with him? Da fuq out of here.

I tell you if we just looked at Ben's 4th quarter stats we would never want him to retire. I have to agree with the Oline issues handicapping BigBen. I also think Canada is over his head as well. Tombert severely made some bad initial off season moves that carried over into the season. The lines on both sides is what holds this team back the most. So you have a combination of bad schematics mixed with bad free agent decisions.

I tell you if we just looked at Ben's 4th quarter stats we would never want him to retire. I have to agree with the Oline issues handicapping BigBen. I also think Canada is over his head as well. Tombert severely made some bad initial off season moves that carried over into the season. The lines on both sides is what holds this team back the most. So you have a combination of bad schematics mixed with bad free agent decisions.
It’s the same offense. Canada brought nothing.