• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Martin Luther King Jr. Day

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
king.png

A day to honor one of the greatest Americans who ever lived. May his memory continue to inspire us all.

Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

The time is always right to do what is right.

Free at last, Free at last, Thank God almighty we are free at last.

Life's most persistent and urgent question is, 'What are you doing for others?

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

The function of education is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically. Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education.

We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools.

And a great Republican.

Absolutely equality before the law and equality of opportunity. Not enforced outcomes, protected classes or the soft bigotry of low expectations.

He is one of my American political heroes. I don't agree with all of his politics, but I do about most. I also think that he would be appalled by the political climate today. I doubt that he would be shocked at the antics of the democrats, as he was the recipient of their political attentions, and would probably not be surprised at their current nonsense.

I bet that, like so many of us, he would be pissed at the GOP for not standing up to them, and pushing them back to the legal boundaries of their office.

I am hoping for a large push back to come out of this. It's WAAAAAAAAYYY passed time to get busy restoring sense, and getting these stupid political moves by the left off our books.

And a great Republican.

Absolutely equality before the law and equality of opportunity. Not enforced outcomes, protected classes or the soft bigotry of low expectations.

Common misconception. Extrapolating from one short quote from one speech. He was all for compensatory policies like affirmative action.

Stepen Oates, the author of a biography of King called Let The Trumpet Sound, quotes him thus: "A society that has done something special against the Negro for hundreds of years must now do something special for the Negro."

In 1965 the writer Alex Haley interviewed King for an interview that ran in Playboy Magazine. Haley asks him about an employment program to help "20,000,000 Negroes." After expressing his approval for it, King estimates that such a program would cost $50 billion
Haley then asks: "Do you feel it's fair to request a multibillion-dollar program of preferential treatment for the Negro, or for any other minority group?"

King: "I do indeed. Can any fair-minded citizen deny that the Negro has been deprived? Few people reflect that for two centuries the Negro was enslaved, and robbed of any wages--potential accrued wealth which would have been the legacy of his descendants. All of America's wealth today could not adequately compensate its Negroes for his centuries of exploitation and humiliation. It is an economic fact that a program such as I propose would certainly cost far less than any computation of two centuries of unpaid wages plus accumulated interest. In any case, I do not intend that this program of economic aid should apply only to the Negro; it should benefit the disadvantaged of all races."

https://www.nola.com/opinions/article_80a6890a-e474-558d-9124-2bc2f741336c.html

He is one of my American political heroes. I don't agree with all of his politics, but I do about most. I also think that he would be appalled by the political climate today. I doubt that he would be shocked at the antics of the democrats, as he was the recipient of their political attentions, and would probably not be surprised at their current nonsense.

I bet that, like so many of us, he would be pissed at the GOP for not standing up to them, and pushing them back to the legal boundaries of their office.

I am hoping for a large push back to come out of this. It's WAAAAAAAAYYY passed time to get busy restoring sense, and getting these stupid political moves by the left off our books.

Never happen. Folks are to lazy to care. To lazy to understand. End of day, “what you going to do for me” attitude that the Dems feed those folks left and right. “Ooo snap I can sit and play video games all day and get paid, get insurance. ...That’s my man”.

Just look at campus reform vids. We fuq

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">It was exactly three years ago today, January 20, 2017, that I was sworn into office. So appropriate that today is also MLK jr DAY. African-American Unemployment is the LOWEST in the history of our Country, by far. Also, best Poverty, Youth, and Employment numbers, ever. Great!</p>— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) <a href="https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1219348788973838336?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 20, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

MLK was a great man. I don't think I need to provide examples of why. His last couple of years on this planet must've been hell for him, but he always carried himself like he had a greater purpose. I've heard that his heart, upon autopsy, was that of a 60-year old man when he died because of of the stress it went through. He was 39 when he was assassinated.

"Whenever men and women straighten their backs up, they are going somewhere, because a man can't ride your back unless it is bent." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

And the full speech is like 40+ minutes long, but his last speech was more of a prophecy fulfilled:

Early morning, April Four
Shot rings out in the Memphis sky
Free at last, they took your life
They could not take your pride

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - MLK, Jr.

Commenting on the 'relationship' between his people and the dims, n' est-ce pas? Well, he WAS a Republican.

I just wish there was some way to reconstruct black families and their morals back into something constructive.

75% of black children are raised without married parents. Blacks look up to athletes and rappers with no moral compass, with multiple children with multiple women, posses and excess beyond necessity, broke by 40.

Black activists consistently talk about "generational wealth and privilege" but when their society promotes and looks up to the denigration of the family unit, ignorance and waste over intelligence and saving, and no concept of "making a life better for my children ahead of what is best for myself", how is that society's fault?

There are so many positives about Martin Luther King, but perhaps his most overlooked is that he was devoutly religious and believed wholeheartedly in the value of the family unit. King's disciples (many of which went into government service) should be ashamed by how their policies and pandering and lack of action have led to the breakdown of the black family in this country.

It is an epidemic. Perhaps the greatest and most impactful in our current society. Yet no one wants to call them out for fear of reprisal of being labeled racist. Instead we segregate the problem away from us. Let it fester in the shadows and slums and ghettos of our cities. And we play the victim cards and guilt trips instead of facing the hard truths.

He Was a great man ahead of his time and that's why the Democratic party killed him. Same as the killed President Lincoln for freeing the slaves and formed the KKK to hint down and torture and kill the black slaves that he freed. Why don't they teach the truth? Democraticly run/controlled MEDIA! SO more they did and are still doing. The DNC is so powerful then any crime family ever was.
MLK was a great man. I don't think I need to provide examples of why. His last couple of years on this planet must've been hell for him, but he always carried himself like he had a greater purpose. I've heard that his heart, upon autopsy, was that of a 60-year old man when he died because of of the stress it went through. He was 39 when he was assassinated.

"Whenever men and women straighten their backs up, they are going somewhere, because a man can't ride your back unless it is bent." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

And the full speech is like 40+ minutes long, but his last speech was more of a prophecy fulfilled:

Early morning, April Four
Shot rings out in the Memphis sky
Free at last, they took your life
They could not take your pride

Sent from my SM-J700T using Steeler Nation mobile app

There are so many positives about Martin Luther King, but perhaps his most overlooked is that he was devoutly religious and believed wholeheartedly in the value of the family unit. King's disciples (many of which went into government service) should be ashamed by how their policies and pandering and lack of action have led to the breakdown of the black family in this country.

It is an epidemic. Perhaps the greatest and most impactful in our current society. Yet no one wants to call them out for fear of reprisal of being labeled racist. Instead we segregate the problem away from us. Let it fester in the shadows and slums and ghettos of our cities. And we play the victim cards and guilt trips instead of facing the hard truths.

Jeez, I either need glasses or need to pay attention a little better as I just saw this; Del, great post and absolutely true IMO. It was really heartening to see 2A advocates peacefully protest what King basically said was "Totalitarianism" from our government. Couldn't be more proud of our fellow Patriots peacefully protesting their right to our 2nd amendment.

I know our ****** up media actually wanted something to happen with these people because they despise us, and they were left thoroughly disappointed. It's sad it's come to this point, but I'm also so proud of seeing so many of my proud fellow Americans using their platform to peacefully protest an infringement on their 2nd amendment rights with such honor, peacefulness and dignity.