• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Matt’s Way Too Early 2021 Depth Chart

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The 2021 NFL Draft is over, free agency is winding down with only a few well known names remaining, and the offseason programs will be starting in the near future. Now it is time to start looking towards Week 1 of the 2021 NFL season, and making leaps to who we think will play without seeing a lot of them even in uniform yet.

Here is my way too early depth chart for the Pittsburgh Steelers for Week 1:

Offense​

Quarterback​

1. Ben Roethlisberger
  2. Mason Rudolph
  3. Dwayne Haskins

First one out: Joshua Dobbs

The Steelers added a new face to the room this offseason by signing former first round pick Dwayne Haskins. He has a lot of talent, and that alone should give him a good shot to make the roster, if not compete for the number two spot. Dobbs likely can be brought back on the practice squad.

Running Back​

1. Najee Harris
  2. Benny Snell
  3. Anthony McFarland
  4. Jaylon Samuels
  5. Derek Watt

First one out: Kalen Ballage

No surprises here with Harris at the top, followed up by Snell and McFarland. I think Ballage can potentially replace Samuels, but the lack of another experienced receiver in the group gives Samuels the edge in my opinion. I also lumped Watt in with this group.

Wide Receiver​

1. JuJu Smith-Schuster
  2. Diontae Johnson
  3. Chase Claypool
  4. James Washington
  5. Ray-Ray McCloud

First one out: Ricco Bussey

Next…

Tight End​

1. Eric Ebron
  2. Pat Freiermuth
  3. Kevin Rader

First one out: Zach Gentry

The main thing to look for here is the battle for the third tight end spot. Neither have much experience in game whether on offense or special teams, so it is hard to gauge. But, I am leaning Rader.

Offensive Line​

1. LT – Chukuwuma Okorfor, LG – Kevin Dotson, C – Kendrick Green, RG – David DeCastro, RT – Zach Banner
  2. OT – Dan Moore Jr., OT/OG – Joe Haeg, OG/C – BJ Finney
  3. Rashaad Coward

First one out: J.C. Hassenauer

I think the starters are pretty set. The only true position battle is for the starting center. I think Green will ultimately win out due to him being a superior athlete over Finney. The backups here get a little tricky. The Steelers love their offensive linemen to have positional versatility, which they can get by keeping Haeg, Finney, and Coward. Moore being a 4th round pick makes him a virtual lock to make the roster as well, and potentially be the Steelers swing tackle.

Defense​

Defensive End​

1. Cameron Heyward, Stephon Tuitt
  2. Chris Wormley
  3. Isaiahh Loudermilk

First one out: Henry Mondeaux

The starters are easy, and even the first backup is easy. Heyward, Tuitt, and Wormley are the obvious top guys at defensive end for the Steelers. Where is gets a little interesting is who is the next guy after them? No one who was on their roster last year really stood out, so I think Loudermilk has a good shot to earn some rotational snaps earlier than some would expect.

Defensive Tackle​

1. Tyson Alualu
  2. Isaiah Buggs

First one out: Carlos Davis

The Steelers ability to bring back Alualu is huge. Their defense struggled against the run without him on the field, and hopefully they can get him some more rest early in the season to keep him fresh. Buggs and Davis are likely battling for one roster spot, and I personally think Buggs wins out. There is also a chance both make the roster though if they elect to keep seven defensive linemen.

Outside Linebacker​

1. T.J. Watt, Alex Highsmith
  2. Quincy Roche
  3. Cassius Marsh

First one out: Jamar Watson

Like most of their team, the starters are basically set when it comes to the outside linebacker position. Highsmith will slide into a starting role after showing very well late last season replacing Bud Dupree. There is little depth behind them which gives Roche, who many consider the steal of the draft, a solid chance to claim that first backup spot. After that it is down to Marsh and some UDFAs, so I think Marsh wins out. I think the Steelers could add to this position group as we move into the summer.

Inside Linebacker​

1. Devin Bush, Vince Williams
  2. Robert Spillane
  3. Buddy Johnson

First one out: Marcus Allen

This is an interesting group to predict. Is Bush healthy? Will Spillane unseat Williams? Who is after those three? All are solid questions. Those three I listed are the clear top guys, and will all see the field a lot. My guess is Williams plays early downs and Spillane comes in on passing downs, making Williams the “starter”. I could easily see them seeing similar snaps as the year progresses. Johnson would appear to have a leg up on the 4th spot since the Steelers invested a 4th round pick in him, but Allen is a versatile player who the team seems to like a lot.

Cornerback​

1. Joe Haden, Cameron Sutton
  2. James Pierre
  3. Justin Layne
  4. Arthur Maulet
  5. Shakur Brown

First one out: DeMarkus Acy

This is definitely the hardest group to predict heading into 2021. It is pretty clear Haden and Sutton are the expected starters, but after that all bets are off. Pierre and Layne are likely battling it out to be the boundary corner in nickel packages, while Brown and Maulet will be considered for slot duties. There is a lot of versatility in this group, with three players being able to play inside and on the boundary. If I had to guess, the cornerback depth chart is likely going to change a lot through training camp and likely even into the season.

Safety​

1. Minkah Fitzpatrick, Terrell Edmunds
  2. Arthur Maulet*
  3. Antoine Brooks Jr.
  4. Tre Norwood

First one out: Donovan Stiner

The starters are clearly set, but there is not clear backup. They haven’t really needed one the last two seasons, and Sutton was the guy in years past who would kind of fill both the 4th cornerback and 3rd safety role. I think Maulet ultimately would be the guy if one of the Starters had to leave the game, but this group is in flux along with the corner position.

Kicker​

1. Chris Boswell

Easy. Next.

Punter​

1. Pressley Harvin III

First one out: Jordan Berry

This will be a fun competition to watch. Everyone is hopping on the Harvin III hype train, but he is a rookie coming in to try and take a veteran’s spot. Berry is by no means an elite punter, but he has been a solid middle of the pack option. Harvin has been inconsistent at times, but has a huge leg and draft capital tied to him which I think means it is his job to lose.

Long Snapper​

1. Kameron Canaday

First one out: Christian Kuntz

No change.

This is way too early to decide who will be starting, let alone who all will make the roster. This could change tomorrow depending on roster moves, but as of now this is what I am going with. Let us know below what you think the Steelers depth chart will look like come Week 1!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

I think Ballage was brought in to replace Samuels. I see Gentry sticking unless James gets signed. I predict a pass rusher being brought in and Marsh getting the boot. I think a CB is brought in and Norwood is shoved on the PS. Davis beat Buggs out last season for playing time, this time it is for a roster spot.

I see Gentry sticking as well as the pure blocking back you get inside the 10 and go 5 wide with JUJU Chase Ebron Pat and Gentry you have 5 guys at all can easily win jump balls or even with juju and Chase you can throw a slant and they can get in. I dont think Marsh is is enough they will ad a vet rusher we know they talked to Kerrigan and have interest in Houston i think its just eithier pick a few guys to restructure or wait for a few guys to drop thier price

I see Gentry sticking as well as the pure blocking back you get inside the 10 and go 5 wide with JUJU Chase Ebron Pat and Gentry you have 5 guys at all can easily win jump balls or even with juju and Chase you can throw a slant and they can get in. I dont think Marsh is is enough they will ad a vet rusher we know they talked to Kerrigan and have interest in Houston i think its just eithier pick a few guys to restructure or wait for a few guys to drop thier price
Agree on marsh getting dumped and bringing a better vet, disagree on gentry, rather have DJs quick feet getting free on the LoS in the red zone. Gentry couldn't block a grandma

I'm not sold on Samuals making the roster. Loudermilk to the PS.

Salute the nation

I think Ballage was brought in to replace Samuels. I see Gentry sticking unless James gets signed. I predict a pass rusher being brought in and Marsh getting the boot. I think a CB is brought in and Norwood is shoved on the PS. Davis beat Buggs out last season for playing time, this time it is for a roster spot.

i disagree. 1. I think samuels is more valuable than we think and Fichtner didnt use his assets. Wondering if Canada will see it. I like the you tube i seen on ballage. but thats not saying much. I dont like mcfarland. He's fast. Thats it. I think benny grinds but not much else to add. As far as Tight ends. Why spend more money at TE. ? We dont use it enough. If our 2nd round guy and ebron who is on a big money contract cant handle all the duties.. Just go Jumbo. Spend the money elsewhere. I do agree about Davis vs. Buggs.. Dont count Davis out. But Buggs is nasty.