• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

McCaffrey to Niners

Frosty

Reaction score

Adam Schefter

Stunner: Panthers are trading Pro-Bowl RB Christian McCaffrey to the San Francisco 49ers in exchange for draft picks, sources tell ESPN.
McCaffrey returns to the Bay Area, where he attended Stanford.

Compensation update: 49ers are sending second-, third- and fourth-round picks in 2023, and a fifth-round pick in 2024

Being reported as 2023 2nd, 3rd, 4th plus 2024 5th rounder. 49ers going all in to win this year. What do they do at QB if they actually win the SB with Jimmy G?

Carolina may be having a fire sale. They have former 1st rounder Cameron Erving as a backup. He has experience at C.G and T. Maybe he could push Dotson or Moore to start but would at least be good depth.

Being reported as 2023 2nd, 3rd, 4th plus 2024 5th rounder. 49ers going all in to win this year. What do they do at QB if they actually win the SB with Jimmy G?

Carolina may be having a fire sale. They have former 1st rounder Cameron Erving as a backup. He has experience at C.G and T. Maybe he could push Dotson or Moore to start but would at least be good depth.
Here is the thing. They didn't give McCaffrey away for peanuts. Sure two different value players, in the same notion I wouldn't want to give up a whole helluva a lot to aquire him.

This doesn't make sense for the 49ers to me. CM is always hurt and the 49ers have a good back in Jeff Wilson Jr. They also have Deeno Samuel. The 49ers have a young QB they should be trying to build around. But sure why they would sacrifice most of their draft for a banged up RB

This doesn't make sense for the 49ers to me. CM is always hurt and the 49ers have a good back in Jeff Wilson Jr. They also have Deeno Samuel. The 49ers have a young QB they should be trying to build around. But sure why they would sacrifice most of their draft for a banged up RB
Perhaps they are starting to sour on that young QB and now are trying to stock pile around Jimmy. Of all the positions it is a curious choice. But they must think that is going to get them over that hump.

Well they certainly did him a favor sending him to a more competitive team with a better shot at winning a championship.

I figured Carolina would get a 1st for CM. I think this is a good move for San Fran if he can stay healthy for a few years. He's had a couple of injuries but he is the best (fantasy-wise) when on the field. This puts Deebo back out at WR with his speed, CM running and receiving out of the backfield and Kittle at TE (assuming he is healthy as well). The entire key for SF is their players being healthy. They always lose a couple of top players every year it seems.

This gives hope that, assuming we are looking, we might be able to swing a deal for a starter at an area of need and not have to give up a 1st round pick and get a full-time proven starter in return. That's what we need. No depth pieces and losing a pick for it. It would have to be a young proven starter.

Here is the thing. They didn't give McCaffrey away for peanuts. Sure two different value players, in the same notion I wouldn't want to give up a whole helluva a lot to aquire him.
He’s a 30 year-old back up, thinking it would be a 6th or 7th rounder or even a pick exchange type trade.

At what cost, Dotson and a 3rd?

Salute the nation

The best part of this trade for Carolina is dumping $36M in unrealized salary, though the contract was set to get out of it at the end of the year with no dead cap. Now they have an $8M Dead cap this year and $8M next year. really weird financially, but I guess they wanted draft capital.

I figured Carolina would get a 1st for CM. I think this is a good move for San Fran if he can stay healthy for a few years. He's had a couple of injuries but he is the best (fantasy-wise) when on the field. This puts Deebo back out at WR with his speed, CM running and receiving out of the backfield and Kittle at TE (assuming he is healthy as well). The entire key for SF is their players being healthy. They always lose a couple of top players every year it seems.

This gives hope that, assuming we are looking, we might be able to swing a deal for a starter at an area of need and not have to give up a 1st round pick and get a full-time proven starter in return. That's what we need. No depth pieces and losing a pick for it. It would have to be a young proven starter.
I think getting the multiple picks serves Carolina's purpose better than a first. They need so many players to right the ship. One impact player near the end of the first round doesn't really cut it for them.

i don’t think San Fran has a 1st next year. Probably why it was so many picks. This is SF going all in for this year. They already have RB Elijah Mitchell who looked great last year but got injured in maybe week 1. He should be back soon. Or maybe he had a setback.

Part of this could have been to block the Rams from getting CMC.

Carolina traded Robbie Anderson for a 6th and 7th. Ervin isn’t a miracle cure but he’s at least better depth than the Steelers have and maybe could unseat Dotson.

Maybe also inquire on CB Jaycee Horn who was their first rounder last year and was injured and missed the season. He’s back this year. If Carolina wants to tear down everything Rhule did, maybe they will trade him. Potential #1 CB. Maybe they’d take a 2 for him.

Carolina traded Robbie Anderson for a 6th and 7th. Ervin isn’t a miracle cure but he’s at least better depth than the Steelers have and maybe could unseat Dotson.

Maybe also inquire on CB Jaycee Horn who was their first rounder last year and was injured and missed the season. He’s back this year. If Carolina wants to tear down everything Rhule did, maybe they will trade him. Potential #1 CB. Maybe they’d take a 2 for him.

Good to look into but I'm thinking STEELERS could very well be picking 5-10 pick in the draft, is he worth that potential pick rnd. 2 ?

Salute the nation

Good to look into but I'm thinking STEELERS could very well be picking 5-10 pick in the draft, is he worth that potential pick rnd. 2 ?

Salute the nation

I vote no. Leave picks alone and let’s see what Omar can do. I think it would be unfair to handi cap him his amount of picks his first draft. Especially if they’re high ones.

I vote no. Leave picks alone and let’s see what Omar can do. I think it would be unfair to handi cap him his amount of picks his first draft. Especially if they’re high ones.

Just a reminder, it would be OMAR who ok'd the trade as well unless Rooney over forced it. So, if Kahn approved, he'd be hindering himself

Salute the nation

Great move for the 49ers. CMC has potential be be electric in that offense and there really isn't a major threat in the NFC, unless you're worried about Jalen Hurts, Daniel Jones, or Kirk Cousins. They gave up a lot of picks, but not much of real value once you get past the 2nd and 3rd.

I understand Carolina moving CMC, but they really need to use those extra picks to move up in the draft and secure a top player, whether that is at the top of the draft if they somehow don't finish in the top 3 or moving back into the end of the first round.

Really hard to read much into it after that sideline blowup Andrrson had, but yeah, look into it.. maybe they will purge like the Raiders did post Gruden