• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Mel Kiper’s Latest Mock Draft Released – Steelers Get a QB

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Well, if you’ve been following the site all day then you’ve seen the abundance of Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback news. That’s because they spent the evening on Monday with Malik Willis at dinner, and then helped out at his Pro Day. It’s only been a week since the Steelers signed assumed starter Mitchell Trubisky.

This morning ESPN Draft expert Mel Kiper Jr released his latest mock draft, his third of the 2022 Draft season on ESPN+. In it he stayed true to the tune he’s been singing all off-season. He’s projecting the Steelers to stay at pick #20 and select a quarterback. And he says that it’s going to be Malik Willis.

20. Pittsburgh Steelers
Malik Willis, QB, Liberty

The structure of Mitch Trubisky’s new contract with Pittsburgh — just $5.25 million guaranteed over two years — means this organization absolutely could draft a quarterback here. Trubisky could be a bridge to Willis, who is raw but supremely talented. As I said when I projected him to the Steelers in my previous mock, he is the most talented quarterback in this class. Willis could compete with Trubisky, Mason Rudolph and Dwayne Haskins in training camp, but he wouldn’t be under immediate pressure to start in Week 1. That would be crucial for him.

If the Steelers go a different direction, they still have holes to plug along the offensive line and in the secondary.

Other teams of interest include the quarterback needy Carolina Panthers, and Washington Commanders. Kiper has both teams skipping on a quarterback and instead taking Travon Walker, and Derek Stingley Jr respectively. Kiper does have the New Orleans Saint’s selecting Kenny Pickett two spots ahead of the Steelers.

18. New Orleans Saints
Kenny Pickett, QB, Pitt

The Saints tried and failed to add Deshaun Watson, so are they definitely committed to Jameis Winston now? I don’t think so. If the board shakes out this way — with all of the passers available — why shouldn’t they take Pickett? He’s the most NFL-ready of the bunch, leveling up last season with 42 touchdown passes and just seven interceptions. He is super accurate. He understands how to run an offense and lead a team. He could be the Saints’ future.

This is a strange quarterback class, and the range on when Pickett and Malik Willis come off the board varies from everyone I talk to in the league. No one knows for sure. I would not be shocked if either of them fell into New Orleans’ lap here.

The only other team with quarterback interest would be the Seattle Seahawks. Kiper currently projects them to select offensive tackle Charles Cross. He believes that Seattle is interested in giving Drew Lock a shot at the offense before they look for another quarterback.

9. Seattle Seahawks (via DEN)
Charles Cross, OT, Mississippi State

What’s the Seahawks’ plan for 2022? Russell Wilson, Bobby Wagner and D.J. Reed are gone. Quandre Diggs, Al Woods, Rashaad Penny and Will Dissly are back. They added Drew Lock, Noah Fant and Uchenna Nwosu, among a few others. So even after parting ways with two of the best players in franchise history, I don’t think coach Pete Carroll & Co. want to rebuild. It seems they want to give it a go with Lock at quarterback and try to win. That’s why I don’t see quarterback being an option here; Carroll and general manager John Schneider can instead use this pick on an early starter.

Cross could step in for veteran Duane Brown at left tackle. He’s a superb pass-blocker who dominated in the SEC. Seattle, which surrendered its original first-round pick in the Jamal Adams trade, has back-to-back Round 2 picks (Nos. 40 and 41) to add potential starters.

What do yinz think about this Mock Draft from Kiper? Let us know in the comments #SteelerNation!

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Wasn't Trubisky raw but extremely talented... At this point why not use this draft to surround him with weapons at WR and a strong defense. Every talking head is so eager to force QB's into this 1st round, really guys its ok to give them a second round grade.

I predict that enough teams lose their **** after Willis’ pro day that he gets drafted at or near the top of the draft.

If all these so-called "experts" were paid only when they were correct, they might actually be right once in a while. They're not, so they aren't.

I predict that enough teams lose their **** after Willis’ pro day that he gets drafted at or near the top of the draft.
Let's just hope and pray that the Steelers aren't one of those teams.