• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Michael Silver from nfl network

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Anyone see when they were grading the Steelers last five drafts and everyone gave them an A or B besides him? He gave them a D stating before Colbert was rock solid and almost always had A drafts. But not for sometime now. I agreed with most of what he said and seemed to be the only knowledgeable analyst.

Anyone see when they were grading the Steelers last five drafts and everyone gave them an A or B besides him? He gave them a D stating before Colbert was rock solid and almost always had A drafts. But not for sometime now. I agreed with most of what he said and seemed to be the only knowledgeable analyst.

I didn't see it but most analysis don't look in depth at every teams drafts. Anybody that thinks the Steelers last 5 drafts were A's is on crack or just saw names and didn't evaluate it closely.

Wise man.

Tombert has failed for some time now. Consecutive .500 seasons with a top 10 QB, in an increasingly QB-oriented league, has proven that.

Another non playoff season and one if not both between Tomlin and Colbert must go.

Last edited:
when did FordFairLane become a knowledgeable analyst?

when did FordFairLane become a knowledgeable analyst?
The same day that Mel Kiper and his recent butt buddy were put into the limelight as "experts", so are we all. Hell, anyone of us can come up with a big board and make bold predictions and be just as inaccurate as these two buffoons. What a job, eh!

Such a joke. Brady Quinn is apparently one of the "expert analysts". Quinn gave them an A because "they've been able to use the guys they've drafted". They repeatedly mentioned Mike Wallace and Emmanuel Sanders as great picks. Zero mention of Heyward or Hood. The typical national love for Pouncey. Ohara actually said "I like the fact that the Steelers haven't been scared to use some high draft picks on some offensive linemen. Pouncey is a stalwart at center. Just plug him in there and you know that position is safe, but to me the star is Jarvis Jones. Pair him together with Dick Lebeau." Tomlinson was even better. Said Leveon Bell has stepped in and replaced Bettis. Really dude? It was blatantly obvious they hadn't watched any steelers football, they simply brought up names that all of America knows. Interesting Silver isn't sold on Decastro

Last edited:
For years, I've often wondered, what it took to be an expert? Well, from all my experiences, it boils down to definition of the word when breaking it down.
EXPERT
Ex- disgarded, old, not used or exspired
(s)pert- drip or leak under pressure
so thus any expert, is just an OLD DRIP UNDER PRESSURE

Salute the nation

Wise man.

Tombert has failed for some time now. Consecutive .500 seasons with a top 10 QB, in an increasingly QB-oriented league, has proven that.

Another non playoff season and one if not both between Tomlin and Colbert must go.
Colbert drafted just fine until Tomlin was hired. After that, no so good. Just sayin'. The handful of decent players he drafted have left as FA's due to the salary cap, which happens, but almost everyone else is either a backup or no longer with the team. For example your 5 and 6 year players should be in their prime right now but there is NO ONE left on the team from two consecutive drafts in '08 and '09.

I didn't see it but most analysis don't look in depth at every teams drafts. Anybody that thinks the Steelers last 5 drafts were A's is on crack or just saw names and didn't evaluate it closely.

crack?
BULLSHIT!!
brady-quinn-19.jpg

I'll give them a B- over the last few years:
- High points: Wallace (left for a shitload of money he didn't deserve), Keenan Lewis (late 4th becoming a solid starter)
Pouncey (don't care if you hate him for being injured to freak hits),
DeCastro (early to tell but on the right track),
Heyward (had little hop but he proved me wrong kast year),
Antonio Brown (needs no explanation, huge pick),
Cortez Allen (expecting him to get the starting job, late 4th),
Lamar Woodley (injuries made him decline but he was a stud for us),
Timmons (people will hate that I put him on this list but he earned his 1st round status)
Beachum (late 7th that can start along the whole O line)

- Average:
Manny Sanders (late 3rd became a decent contributor),
Urbik (could've started for this team if he stayed),
Worilds (called a bust since the beginning, now not so much),
Mendenhall (decent contributor for a few years, he could be borderline low due to his high pick value)

- Low:
Ziggy Hood (square peg, round hole. That's the draft department's fault, not Ziggy's)
Gilbert (don't think he can start in the league)
Adams (this year is probably his last chance to at least learn the RT spot, he could become an average)
Limas Sweed (no one expected him to bust like that)
Spaeth (we could have done way better with a middle 3rd rounder)
Sepulveda (4th round? no way)
Bruce Davis (bust)
Curtis Brown (late 3rd but he is only useful on special teams, that's not enough)
Gibson (a 4th rounder should at least see the field and contribute)
Ta amu (too bad he didn't work, I was hoping he would help on the D line)

The only first round bust on the list is Ziggy and some would call him serviceable, in fact he could be a real contributor in a different scheme.
In the second round only Sweed busted ugly, Gilbert is getting starting time though I don't think he deserves much of it and Adams can still develop.

So calling the Steelers draft a D is bullshit in my opinion

Colbert drafted just fine until Tomlin was hired. After that, no so good. Just sayin'. The handful of decent players he drafted have left as FA's due to the salary cap, which happens, but almost everyone else is either a backup or no longer with the team. For example your 5 and 6 year players should be in their prime right now but there is NO ONE left on the team from two consecutive drafts in '08 and '09.

or from 2006...

Such a joke. but to me the star is Jarvis Jones. Pair him together with Dick Lebeau."

Great post just had to pull this out of context, Dick Labeau may be able to generate more sacks if the two of them were paired up.

- High points: Wallace (left for a shitload of money he didn't deserve), Keenan Lewis (late 4th becoming a solid starter)
Timmons (people will hate that I put him on this list but he earned his 1st round status)

- Average:
Mendenhall (decent contributor for a few years, he could be borderline low due to his high pick value)

- Low:
Ziggy Hood (square peg, round hole. That's the draft department's fault, not Ziggy's)
Adams (this year is probably his last chance to at least learn the RT spot, he could become an average)
Bruce Davis (bust)
Curtis Brown (late 3rd but he is only useful on special teams, that's not enough)

The only first round bust on the list is Ziggy and some would call him serviceable, in fact he could be a real contributor in a different scheme.
In the second round only Sweed busted ugly, Gilbert is getting starting time though I don't think he deserves much of it and Adams can still develop.

Finally- someone being objective.

The Steelers have drafted plenty of Pro-Bowl and serviceable players over the last 5 years. Unfortunately, we have lost many of them due to $$ or injuries

- Average:

- Low:
Bruce Davis (bust)

You know it's bad when your "high points" include a guy that you admit "is too early to tell", a guy that has been injured every year he has been in the league, and a guy you "expect" to start this year.

To me that is bad drafting. Steeler fans always see their draft picks as being better than what they are to other teams. Same happens with other fan bases. The fact is that Tombert hasn't been able to draft enough talent. Even when they concentrate on a position like DL they **** it up. The only position they draft well at is WR. Outside of that the OL is below average at best, DL has ONE starter, the best CB is still Ike, the best safety is still Troy, special teams still suck, and Miller is still the best TE.

Finally- someone being objective.

The Steelers have drafted plenty of Pro-Bowl and serviceable players over the last 5 years. Unfortunately, we have lost many of them due to $$ or injuries

wtf?
what pro bowl bowlers are we speaking of in the last 5 years?

You know it's bad when your "high points" include a guy that you admit "is too early to tell", a guy that has been injured every year he has been in the league, and a guy you "expect" to start this year.

To me that is bad drafting. Steeler fans always see their draft picks as being better than what they are to other teams. Same happens with other fan bases. The fact is that Tombert hasn't been able to draft enough talent. Even when they concentrate on a position like DL they **** it up. The only position they draft well at is WR. Outside of that the OL is below average at best, DL has ONE starter, the best CB is still Ike, the best safety is still Troy, special teams still suck, and Miller is still the best TE.

Getting a starting player at CB (cortez Allen) out of a late 4th is a high value.
Adams has just two years under his belt.
Pouncey isn't injury prone, he's being hurt by bad luck hits on his knees.

I think you should check your high expectations and compare them around with other teams draft

Since when is being average earning your first round status?

Getting a starting player at CB (cortez Allen) out of a late 4th is a high value.
Adams has just two years under his belt.
Pouncey isn't injury prone, he's being hurt by bad luck hits on his knees.

I think you should check your high expectations and compare them around with other teams draft

Just because someone starts doesn't make them a good player. You know that Gay has started right? Allen has proven nothing yet. Also where did I mention Adams? You have him as "could become average". But I never mentioned him. I never said Pouncey was injury prone. I said he's been hurt every year he has been in the league. Which is true. His play has also declined since his rookie year.

The fact is that Tombert hasn't produced high talent players. I could give two ***** if Adams becomes "average". Average OL, average DL, average LB etc... gets you an average 8-8 team.

my point was that the scouting team doesn't deserve a D over the last 5 years

my point was that the scouting team doesn't deserve a D over the last 5 years

Where did you mention a "scouting team"?

The discussion was about the overall drafting of the Steelers. Compare it to who? Why not let the records speak for itself? 12-4 lost to Tim Tebow, 8-8, 8-8. That tells me how they are drafting. Also just look at the players. Few are top talents and 2 entire drafts are gone. Some of the players weren't bad but obviously the Steelers didn't think they were worth resigning. So I'll look at their football record and the players that are on the team and that have left to judge their drafting ability. That tells me that they are not getting it done.