• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Montravius Adams on Pittsburgh: “It is definitely a place I would like to stay””

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
In a 2021 season full of injuries for the Pittsburgh Steelers‘ defense, there were a few players on the team that took full advantage. One of those names was defensive tackle, Montravius Adams. The 6’3″, 304 lb. four-year NFL veteran was signed off of the New Orleans Saints‘ practice squad back in November and was signed to the Steelers 53-man roster soon after.

Adams was added to a roster at a time where the Steelers’ defense was completely shorthanded on the defensive line. Not only were star players Tyson Alualu and Stephon Tuitt out for seemingly the rest of the 2021 season, but this defensive front was also without backup Isaiah Buggs for the latter half of the year, which in part could have had a lot to do with the signing of Adams.

Just five days after being signed to the Steelers 53-man roster, Adams saw himself as a starter in a division rival game against the Baltimore Ravens, playing in just about half of the teams’ defensive snaps, where he quickly became a fan favorite. Although it wasn’t until his next start against the Minnesota Vikings where he started getting initial pressure on the quarterback, it was a pass deflection and his relentless effort that got the attention of Steeler Nation relatively quickly.

Although only appearing in five total games for the Steelers in 2021, according to an article by Chris Adamski of Triblive.com, Pro Football Focus rated Adams the third-highest grade of the nine total defensive linemen who made an appearance for the Steelers this season, grading him second to Pro Bowler Cam Heyward in pass rushing. Adams was credited with 10 total pressures, accounting for one sack, three hits and six hurries.

In that same interview, Adams talked about how Heyward’s play was something that already caught his eye, before his arrival to the Burgh.

“I wanted to be more disruptive. Honestly, I was still talking to the d-line coach in New Orleans, and we were watching guys around the league, and we were watching (Heyward). He thought Cam, in his eyes, was the best technician in the league right now.”

“For me, that’s my next thing. I want to be a great technician from hands, steps. I want to do everything right in a game.”​

Whether or not Adams is able to reach his full potential in Pittsburgh or not still remains to be seen. Adams is going into this off-season as an unrestricted free agent, still without a contract offer from the Steelers. Although it is early in the off-season process, Adams was vocal about his desire to remain a Steeler for not only this upcoming season, but for years to come.

“It is definitely a place I would like to stay. Honestly, to finish my career, no matter how long that may be.”

“I honestly just feel like this is the team. From top to bottom, I really mean that.”​

Listen, I’m not saying that Adams is the savior at defensive tackle. Obviously, Alualu has announced that he will be returning for the 2022 season with the Steelers and up until his injury last season, he was playing at a Pro Bowl level. Who knows how this off-season will go for the Steelers. There are bigger changes coming with a new General Manager hire on the way, but I think we all can agree that re-signing Adams would go a long way in adding to the depth of this defensive front, a spot in desperate need of it.

READ FULL ARTICLE HERE:

https://triblive.com/sports/acquire...-showed-he-might-deserve-to-remain-a-steeler/

Do you think the Steelers should re-sign Adams? Comment below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

He played well not really knowing our defense.
we dont have a defensive philosophy other than hoping TJ or Cam get sacks and Minkah gets tackles. Or the other team implodes or gets exhausted from running up and down the field.

keep him, would of liked to see him and Buggs on at the same time but I like what I saw of Loudermilk that he can be a good 1T.
I would add quality vets 1 fat NG and 1 speed Under DT, and via the draft 1 edge resign Adams and get rid of Henry M.

Stillers will dick around and not make him an offer and he'll go elsewhere...probly a division rival.

It's not odd they haven't done anything contract yet because,........... well it's the STEELERS. I don't know when the signing can begin but I'd hope we tie hi up and I'd bet it would be reletively cheap.

Salute the nation

This guy has an explosive 1st step, and makes nice push
He did very well just walking in and going to work. He did at times command double coverage. I like the idea of him coming back. With the possibility of Austin becoming the DC or another body, I see the Steelers shifting more to a 4-3 base if there is such a thing anymore as a base defense.

It's not odd they haven't done anything contract yet because,........... well it's the STEELERS. I don't know when the signing can begin but I'd hope we tie hi up and I'd bet it would be reletively cheap.

Salute the nation
Yes, I think there are a few things holding this up, one is the future with Tuitt and the others, the coordinator and new GM. Then again, all roads lead to Tomlin deciding who he wants

keep him, would of liked to see him and Buggs on at the same time but I like what I saw of Loudermilk that he can be a good 1T.
I would add quality vets 1 fat NG and 1 speed Under DT, and via the draft 1 edge resign Adams and get rid of Henry M.
Buggs is gone...