• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

More Opportunities For Samuels in 2021?

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
With this year’s NFL Draft just about a month away, the speculation on who the Pittsburgh Steelers may select at pick number 24 has been well underway. Many believe the smartest route is for the Steelers to address the need for offensive line help early in the draft. Others seem to think that the best option is for the Steelers to select a running back in the first round, giving our offense a new dynamic weapon that’s able to take the pressure off of our passing game. The opinions vary and who knows who will still be on the board when we select at number 24, but the direction the Steelers go will tell a lot about what they think of the players on the current roster.

If the Steelers do choose to go offense in the first round like many expect, there is no doubt in my mind that the pick will either be an offensive tackle or a running back. Those are their biggest positions of need and both have a deep prospect list for this year’s draft class. Hypothetically, there might be an opportunity for Pittsburgh to draft a top tier running back with their late first round pick and if a guy of Najee Harris or Travis Etienne‘s ability is still available at #24, it would be very hard for the Steelers to say no. Especially since it was so clear last year that this particular position was one that held us back in 2020. A new look offense could be on the way for the 2021 Pittsburgh Steelers, with some familiar faces staying in the mix.

One name that did not see the field much last season was Jaylen Samuels. Samuels, a 5th round draft pick in 2018, has had his fair share of opportunities since coming into the league just three years ago. In his rookie season, he got the majority of his playing time towards the latter half of the year due to an injury to starting RB at the time, Le’Veon Bell. Samuels started in three games, rushing the ball a total of 42 times for 223 yards and just one touchdown. Samuels best game was against the New England Patriots where he came up clutch in a game that had serious playoff implications. In that contest, Samuels rushed the ball 19 times for 142 yards, and followed that with a strong performance against the New Orleans Saints the week after. Samuels was helpful in taking the pressure off of quarterback, Ben Roethlisberger who was in the middle of throwing for a 5,000-yard season, and allowed for the coaching staff to balance their offensive game plan.

At the time, it looked like Samuels was capable of carrying the load. His type of play is one that translates well to this “new and improved” type of football. He is an elusive back with the ability to catch the ball out of the backfield. Just being that dual threat type of presence behind a future Hall of Fame quarterback is enough to keep teams guessing, which ultimately works in our favor. He wasn’t the power back that Steeler Nation has been accustomed to seeing standing behind our QB, but Samuels did fit our scheme and showed promise in his first season in black and gold.

Coming out of the 2018 season, I think many expected Samuels to have a key part in our offense for the new upcoming year, but that wasn’t necessarily the case. The emergence of now free agent RB James Conner didn’t help Samuels’ cause at all. It seemed like as Conner’s “stock” was rising, and Samuels’ was falling. Their production levels counteracted each other in a way that did not benefit Samuels at all. After Le’Veon Bell left for the New York Jets following the 2018 year, Conner took the starting role and ran with it. He was the Steelers “bell cow” when healthy and had the organization backing him.

With Conner now being a free agent, still in search of his new football home, the Steelers are down their starting running back from the past three seasons and are going to try and do their best to replace his production whichever way possible. Now, as stated before, many expect the Steelers to select a running back at pick 24 in this year’s draft, but if that’s not the case, do you see a situation where Jaylen Samuels sees more playing time in 2021? He is on a contract year and with the way offenses are looking now, Samuels’ type of play is one that sticks. It could be far fetched, but if the Steelers don’t bring in another running back, could we see a tandem of Benny Sell Jr. and Jaylen Samuels in 2021?

Is Jaylen Samuels bound to see more playing time in 2021? Comment below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

If an FA RB is signed, in addition to drafting one, Samuels is most likely getting pushed off the roster.

Good write up Jonathan .

I think it's a pipe dream to think Benny Snell & Jaylin Samuals will ignite the running game to the degree we want. Canada's new scheme needs speed (snell to slow) and samuals didn't crack last season's attach. To give defense though our last year OC should get near all the blame as we all saw what he was about. Just haVING A NEW oc SHOULD HELP THE rbs a lot. Scheme / OL help / coaching are the main stays but we need an up-grade at running back whether 1st or 2nd round talent. Jaylin occasionally may work but not as a feature bell cow.

Salute the nation

Samuels can run, catch and block. He is not a game-breaker. I thought he would have gotten the ball more then but they drafted Snell. Samuels seemed to have shown more than enough to get his shot but did not. I see no reason to sign a FA unless we aren't going to draft a RB at all. We do not need another mid to late-round RB project. If they are as serious as Rooney says they better be about improving the run, then getting Harris, Etienne or Williams is an absolute must.

Samuels failed to impress me the last season or two. He could have earned the starting spot with Conner out hurt.

He wont make the squad this year.

Hasn't developed...in fact he has regressed each year.

I love the Ballage signing today.

Samuels failed to impress me the last season or two. He could have earned the starting spot with Conner out hurt.
He earned it 2 years ago when Conner got injured. For whatever reason, the next year they drafted Snell and stopped using Samuels almost entirely. It's tough to "win a spot" when you are getting 3rd string reps and not getting a chance to play on Sundays. He must have gotten into someone's doghouse. Even last year, he was our best-receiving RB but was rarely used. Even with another camp body in Ballage, they better draft Harris, Etienne or Wiilliams or our running game isn't going to improve. We still don't have a legit starting RB and I hope they don't think this is solving anything.

Samuels regresssed significantly last year. Just seemed slow and hesitant, who knows why? My best guess is he's far from a lock on the roster, will be fighting for his NFL life this summer.

Samuels regresssed significantly last year. Just seemed slow and hesitant, who knows why? My best guess is he's far from a lock on the roster, will be fighting for his NFL life this summer.
Maybe because our line couldn't make a hole the D was gap blitzing every play, and he was a bit banged up.

Personally I think Snell's skillset is the odd man out in Canada's offense.

Maybe because our line couldn't make a hole the D was gap blitzing every play, and he was a bit banged up.

Personally I think Snell's skillset is the odd man out in Canada's offense.

I hope Samuels does well. He was impressive in 2018. Under Fichtner he was forgotten. I like him a WHOLE lot more than McFarland.

I’m not a fan of taking the ball out of the hands of your best player to give carries or targets to guys like Samuels. It’s like when Ben forced a pass to McFarland last year on a crucial play. Backups should play in a specialized role they’re good at or to spell a starter for a few snaps.