• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Myles Jack as Impressive Off the Field as he is on Gameday

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The 2022 off-season has been unlike any other in league history. There have certainly been more big-name acquisitions than in previous years league-wide, and the Pittsburgh Steelers are no exception, spending more in this free agency period than they have ever before. The Steelers thus far have acquired several players who project to be starters when the season rolls around, and they still have options to add more cap space to sign additional starting caliber players.

One of the biggest, and perhaps most surprising, players that the Steelers signed was former Jacksonville Jaguars stand-out middle linebacker, Myles Jack. While Steelers fans may never be able to quite shake off the queasiness they felt during that 2017 season AFC Divisional playoff loss to the Jaguars in which Jack picked off Ben Roethlisberger on the way to a shocking 3-point Steelers’ loss, I think it’s safe to say that Steeler Nation is ecstatic to see him join MLB Devin Bush in the middle of our defense.

It appears that Jack is going to be a significant addition to the team on the field. If you’re still skeptical, here’s a good exemplification of his on field playmaking and leadership abilities. What you might not know, however, is that the Steelers may have found themselves an exceptional off-the-field leader in Jack as well.

Last season, Jack was the Jacksonville Jaguars nominee for the Walter Payton Man of the Year Award (WPMY Award) for his work in Duval County. For those of you who don’t know, the WPMY Award is considered to be the most prestigious honor in the NFL, with each team putting forward a nominee for the service-based award. Per the NFL:

“The Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year Award recognizes an NFL player for his excellence on and off the field. The award was established in 1970. It was renamed in 1999 after the late Hall of Fame Chicago Bears running back, Walter Payton. Each team nominates one player who has had a significant positive impact on his community.”

The Steelers 2021 nominee for the award was team Defensive Captain Cam Heyward, who was recognized for his dedication to furthering childhood literacy through establishing little free libraries throughout Western Pennsylvania.

Jack’s charitable activities that he was involved with throughout the Jacksonville community include:

• Donating $10,000 to JEA, a Florida-based utility company, to help families struggling to pay their electric and water bills.
  • Hosting an annual back to school event to provide students with school supplies for the new school year.
  • Providing two $4,000 textbook scholarships to students at Edward Walters University, an area Historically Black College and University (HBCU).
  • He hosts a yearly shopping spree for children to buy Christmas gifts for their families.
  • Partnering with the United Service Organizations (USO) to travel globally and attend military appreciation events.
  • Creating a trunk-or-treat program for local military families.
  • Supporting Habitat for Humanity in their mission to provide free housing to those in need through the My Cause, My Cleats program.

It would be impressive for a whole team to have this type of community impact, let alone just one person, and this isn’t a conclusive list of Jack’s charitable works. Do a quick Google search of “Myles Jack Charity” and numerous more examples pop-up, such as this article detailing Jack’s work inspiring youth through the Boys and Girls Clubs of Northeast Florida. Jack has said this of his work with children:

“I wish somebody would’ve told me, ‘Myles, you can be a lawyer or doctor. All I saw growing up on TV as a kid was watching sports. It’s worked out great for me. It’s been very positive in my life. But I feel like we need more lawyers and doctors. We need more positive influences, especially with most of these kids being minority children. To be able to be heard and tell them that they can accomplish those things is powerful. To give them a chance to feel like they can actually go to school and become something bigger than just a football player or basketball player, that was my goal for this event.”

I am a big believer in what Jack can do on the football field, but regardless of how 2022 shakes out for the Steelers, it seems clear that the Pittsburgh community is going to gain a fantastic force for good in Myles Jack and that’s pretty awesome.

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

These are the type of "character" players we need and want on our beloved STEELERS team.

Salute the nation

These are the type of "character" players we need and want on our beloved STEELERS team.

Salute the nation

Yep! I know bottom line is winning, but after the drama of AB and Bell, failure to win playoff games, and the final exit of the last of our “2nd golden age” stars, it’d be nice to hear a few feel good stories for a change! Here’s to a great 2022!

Yep! I know bottom line is winning, but after the drama of AB and Bell, failure to win playoff games, and the final exit of the last of our “2nd golden age” stars, it’d be nice to hear a few feel good stories for a change! Here’s to a great 2022!

Najee Harris is another "character" player. We have several on the team but I wanted to make note of the recently aquired player.

I hear yaz bkwheat28 !!!!

Salute the nation