• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Newley Acquired OG James Daniels: “I Want to Take on a Leadership Role”

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers started out the 2022 free agency period somewhat out of the ordinary from what they have had previously done in the past. To make a long story short, they were very active in free agency for the first time in as long as I remember, filling holes with veteran players instead of adding depth through the NFL Draft. In what will be Kevin Colbert‘s final off-season as the Steelers general manager, the front office has taken an unconventional route of spending money rather than preserving it to keep future draft picks in house.

In doing so, the Steelers revamped their offensive line with the additions of former Minnesota Vikings center/guard Mason Cole (two-year deal) and Chicago Bears guard James Daniels (three-year deal) in hopes of building a solidified rushing attack with second year star running back Najee Harris patiently waiting to exceed his productive level from what it was during his rookie campaign where he ran for over 1,000 rushing yards. Harris did so in 2021 with an offensive line that was clearly depleted and it is obvious with the additions stated above that Harris is going to be the focal point of our offense for years to come.

That being said, the Steelers’ offensive line will now be starting fresh with a lot of new faces added. Chemistry might be an issue early on, something newly acquired guard James Daniels is preparing to get ahead of before the new NFL season begins. In an his introductory press conference, Daniels addressed those issues by saying:

“All of the offensive linemen have texted me and said we are ready to get to work.”

“Camaraderie among the offensive line has to be there. If your o-line isn’t a tight group, you won’t be a good line. We are just starting off, introductory types of texts, but that goes a long way. When you build that relationship now, you are able to trust them on fourth-and-sixth and things like that. I am just excited we are building those relationships now, almost a month ahead of when we even have to report.”

At just 24 years old, Daniels has made quite the name for himself as one of the best run blockers in the NFL. He has showcased his ability to create holes for whoever is lined up in the backfield to fill and was seen “pancaking” opposing defenders on multiple different occasions. Daniels joins a very young but talented offensive front that lacks much NFL game experience, and does so with familiarity with the presumed day one starting quarterback Mitch Trubisky from his days with the Bears. Having started in 48 NFL games himself, Daniels was vocal and open about the possibility of becoming more of a leader in his new NFL home. A role welcomed by all of SteelerNation.

“I want to take on a leadership role, but first I would like to be respected, earn the respect of the others on the offensive line.”

“You can’t take on a leadership role if you aren’t respected. Once I earn the respect of the veterans, the rookies and younger players, the others in the offensive line room and earn it from the coaches and defensive players. Once you earn that respect, you are looked at as a leader by others.”

WATCH FULL PRESS CONFERENCE HERE :

https://www.steelers.com/news/it-s-all-about-respect-for-daniels

Do you think the addition of James Daniels will have a direct affect on the success of the Steelers’ rushing game? Click to comment below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

The Steelers need some leadership on this offensive line and an attitude that they're not going to let anyone touch their QB.

Man I remember when the play of the individual propelled you to a leadership role.

Agreed. We need a new Pouncey/Foster in the O-line room. They are all kids.
Was thinking along that line wouldn’t it be great if he had the vision to call protections like Foster did for Pouncey.

Green more than struggled last year and whether he or Cole or Hass wins the C job maybe taking the burden of calling the protections off the center could help.

And yeah, that group needs a leader