• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Nice write up on ABrown

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...lers-antonio-brown-news-training-camp-updates

Antonio Brown is Pittsburgh's leader of tomorrow
By Christopher Carter on Aug 5 2014, 8:08p 12

Charles LeClaire-USA TODAY Sports
Antonio Brown fits the mold of what you expect from a leader in the Steelers' organization and is in the perfect position with his career to establish a strong legacy next to other Steeler legends at the wide receiver position.

 (5)  (273)  12 ⋆ 1
Antonio Brown went from being just a member of a confident trio of receivers in the "Young Money Crew" to now the sole player of that trio left on the Pittsburgh roster whom is set to lead a receiving corps that is, for the most part, is unproven. While the team has several question marks on the roster with free agents, unproven young players, and rookies with promise, Brown has earned his reputation as one of the more talented veterans that will lead the team in the coming years.

Brown's play on the field solidified his status as the Steelers' #1 receiver; his 1499 yards came second in the league and earned him praise from more than just Steelers fans. Nfl.com ranked him as the 23rd best player going into 2014, and the league's 5th best receiver.

But what may be more important of note is the journey which Brown's development as a professional has taken him to where he is today. Brown was competing for playing time his rookie year behind arguably the greatest receiver in the Steelers' history in Hines Ward, the rising star in Mike Wallace, the veteran and Super Bowl XL hero Antwann Randle El, and the fellow rookie drafted three rounds prior to Brown, Emmanuel Sanders. Despite this he made signature plays to help the Steelers win their eighth AFC championship, most notably with his helmet catch on 3rd and 19 that led to the go-ahead touchdown for the Steelers to beat the Baltimore Ravens and advance to the AFC championship game that year.

Since then Brown has risen to the top of the team's depth chart, and in that time he has had his highs and lows off the field. Last season many wondered, as the offense struggled, whether Brown was fitting in well with the offense's plan after an alleged altercation with offensive coordinator Todd Haley. Though he responded the next week with 9 catches on 13 targets for 196 yards and two touchdowns, including a nasty one handed grab, Brown still had more to learn from an older leader on the team, Ben Roethlisberger.

Roethlisberger took an approach to send a subliminal message to Brown about his character on the team by choosing to ignore phone calls and text messages as a method to motivate Brown to become a better leader on the team.

Since then, Haley has had nothing but praise about Brown and the receivers listed behind him on the Steelers depth chart. Between his declaration that this was the deepest receiving corps he's worked with, and his claim that he's never been more excited about an offense, this offense that looked on the verge of falling off the tracks a year ago is now primed with the most potential it's had in several seasons.

And at the head of this offense, right next to the two-time Super Bowl champion Ben Roethlisberger, is the 26 year old Brown coming off his best year. This camp has been full of signs that Brown is more than just a playmaker, but that he has also developed into a leader. After coming back from a workout session this Summer, Justin Brown said that the session led by Brown had "everyone involved in those workouts was at some point laying on their back."

Antonio Brown has developed a reputation as a workhorse for the Steelers, earning the title of "maniacal" from some sportswriters for the work ethic he's shown in preparation for seasons. Despite his all-pro season in 2013, Brown itches to be better and eclipse his performance from last year. Talking about how he fell one yard short from 1,500 yards and two catches from the Steelers' single season reception record, Brown shows his frustration with coming up short, and his desire to accomplish more.

"That just gave me motivation for this year," Brown said. "I think about any one catch I could have made to get that yard, and I get pissed off. And I was two catches away from a team record. That's the sort of thing that drives you the next year. When you fall just short, you want to push forward. But it's a new year and you have to rebuild and start all over and do it again. I'm just excited I get another opportunity at it."

The team knows what they have in Brown and the crew of receivers behind him. Mike Tomlin says that while the current batch of receivers are unproven, Brown was an unproven receiver just a few seasons ago. There's much to say behind the team's confidence in Brown, and it comes back to his work ethic and desire to be a better profession.

In talking about Markus Wheaton, Ike Taylor described his admiration for Wheaton's work ethic in a way that pays homage to Brown; upon being asked if Wheaton can be the Steelers no. 2 guy, Taylor responded, "hell yeah!" As he explained why, Taylor brought said that Wheaton has to have that "Antonio Brown mentality." Taylor says this because Brown has shown the determination in years prior to be the best at his profession. He continues that determination in this year's camp.

Last Thursday, fans could see Antonio Brown working after practice making one-handed catches ten yards from the jug machine, which shot fast tight spiraling footballs at him. Last year while I was at camp, I saw him stick around for at least 20 minutes working with Khashiff Moore on getting in and out of his breaks, something I noted at the time as the sign that Brown may be ready to lead in Pittsburgh.

When BTSC's Jeff Hartman drew comparisons between this year's team and the 2004 Steelers, one particular part that I saw was the fact that both receiving corps had a clear leader. Not to say that Brown is the same leader that Hines Ward was for the Steelers at that time, but both are unquestionably the best at their position for the teams that they were/are apart of and have established themselves as top-tier players in the NFL.

Antonio Brown has given every indication that he has not peaked and is working to get better with every opportunity he is given in Pittsburgh. There's something special about the way he's worked his way from being a 6th round draft pick to being the man in Pittsburgh.

After his second touchdown against the Detroit Lions last season, I was in the crowd as the jumbotron announcer called for the crowd to give it up for Antonio Brown's big play. The crowd got as loud as it would for both Renegade features that happened later that day, and I gazed upon Brown's face being shown on the jumbotron as he looked around the crowd with appreciation, twirling his own imaginary Terrible Towel. That was another in one of the many moments that have made me a believer that Brown is the next great receiver to come through the Steelers' organization.

While the Steelers have had an abundance of great players in their illustrious history, one of the positions I have always been the biggest fan of was our wide receivers. Growing up my father showed me the legendary plays from both Lynn Swann and John Stallworth, whom both were inducted into the the Pro Football Hall of Fame in my days as a child watching the Steelers. I got to see Hines Ward emerge to be a team leader in multiple facets for a decade, and earn Super Bowl MVP for the team's fifth Lombardi trophy. After Santonio Holmes earned his own Super Bowl MVP trophy, it dawned upon me that the Steelers had the most wide receivers of any franchise with Super Bowl MVP trophies; and when the team added Mike Wallace to the mix behind Holmes and Ward, I was sure that the corps had a long string of success coming.

The times since the 2009 season have been turbulent, but the Steelers' receiving corps have worked their way back to having a well established leader, with a stable of young players with potential behind him. Whether or not all of the unproven receivers work their way to being successful players for this legendary franchise, Brown is certain to be a pillar of this team it is to be successful in the coming seasons.

GREAT read and thank you for the post. AB is really developing into a great team member.

Salute the nation