• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

No Rodgers. No Wilson. What now for the Steelers?

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
If you’re anything like me, you’re heartbroken over the news Tuesday afternoon surrounding Green Bay Packers quarterback, Aaron Rodgers, and the newest member of the Denver Broncos, quarterback Russell Wilson. For the Pittsburgh Steelers, it’s now looking harder than ever to not only reach the Super Bowl, but finish the upcoming regular season above .500 with just how tough the AFC is getting.

Wilson adds to an already loaded conference of quarterbacks that features the likes of Patrick Mahomes (Kansas City Chiefs), Josh Allen (Buffalo Bills), Lamar Jackson (Baltimore Ravens), Joe Burrow (Cincinnati Bengals), Justin Herbert (Los Angeles Chargers), and Derek Carr (Las Vegas Raiders) just to name a few. Rising stars like Trevor Lawrence (Jacksonville Jaguars) and Mac Jones (New England Patriots) are looking to make a name for themselves as well. For the Steelers to compete with this level of talent, I don’t know about yinz, but it’s been a little depressing knowing that the team is STILL in the hunt for their next franchise quarterback — especially seeing how other teams have been so willing to acquire the guy they want thus far this early in the off-season.

At this point, the Steelers need to do at least one of the following three things at the quarterback position to be as “Super Bowl ready” as they can heading into the 2022 regular season:

1) Trade for Deshaun Watson​

We saw the Tampa Bay Buccaneers do it in 2020, and the Los Angeles Rams do it in 2021 — both ending in championships. GO GET THE GUY YOU WANT. I feel like I’m going to be staring outside of my window for the next few days, watching the rainfall while listening to “Someone Like You” by Adele as I dream about what could’ve been to see Rodgers or Wilson in a Steelers uniform. I mean, did the Steelers even call? Are they even interested in a quarterback of that caliber? If they are, there’s one more guy I think that meets that same mold. That’s Deshaun Watson.

Now, I know. Despite Watson being a 3x Pro Bowler and the NFL’s passing yards leader in 2020, he clearly has some off-the-field issues in his life currently that he needs to clean up. It’s not looking promising for the 26 year old at the moment, but I say, if that gets cleared up come Friday (and that’s a big IF), this has to be the Steelers number one priority — no matter the cost.

Big day Friday for Deshaun Watson. https://t.co/znSEmybXk3

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) March 8, 2022

2) Draft Kenny Pickett or Malik Willis (if they fall to pick No. 20)​

I wouldn’t want to lose additional draft capital by trading up in next month’s NFL Draft to acquire either of these young quarterbacks, but I will say, if either option is there at the 20th pick, why not grab one of them? President Art Rooney II, general manager Kevin Colbert, and head coach Mike Tomlin all seem to be high on both prospects, and we’ve seen the success recently in the league by young quarterbacks and what they can accomplish with a solid supporting cast.

They wouldn’t have to necessarily start Week 1 right away, and both young talents have proven at the collegiate level that they know how to lead a team. Many fans have speculated how Pickett has “small hands” and if that will effect him at the professional level — and if Willis has the accuracy to be a QB1 long-term. “They” said Joe Burrow had small hands too, and look how he’s turning out. As for Willis, with his exceptional “escapability” gifts, I believe coach Tomlin and quarterbacks coach, Mike Sullivan,can set both him and Pickett up for true success.

3) DO NOT sign Mitchell Trubisky & co.​

There seems to be a “Trubisky Train” forming in the Steel City, but that looks like a train wreck already to me.

Reports are flying in that the former Chicago Bears and Buffalo Bills quarterback will be getting “paid like a starter.” I want no parts of that as the Steelers should focus most of their money on other holes on the roster, if it’s not going to be for a top-tier quarterback.

Get Mitchell Trubisky his QB1
💰
pic.twitter.com/hjK2F9jRNc

— PFF Fantasy Football (@PFF_Fantasy) March 7, 2022

I see guys like Jameis Winston, Teddy Bridgewater, Jacoby Brissett, etc. all falling under this same category to me. I’d rather roll with what we have in-house (Mason Rudolph, Dwayne Haskins), and use that additional money to put towards other positions of need like offensive line, defensive line, middle linebacker, wide receiver, and of course, cornerback. And don’t get me started on Jimmy Garoppolo. The guy is a winner, no doubt. But with his off-season shoulder surgery diagnosis looming, and already suspect injury history, for $26M+ per year plus additional draft picks to acquire him — that’s one situation I don’t want any parts of.

With every thing we know now as of today, what do yinz think is currently the best option for the Steelers at the quarterback position? Is there any chance the team becomes “Super Bowl ready” come Week 1? Click to comment below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Spend $$$ on quality Offensive linemen so Najee Harris and our next QB has a chance to survive.

Thank goodness, the Administrator's "obsession" with a 38 year old QB who lost in the first round of this year's playoffs at home is hopefully over.

There are affordable vets that can be had out there to compete with MR, but still give the team a chance. Marcus Mariotta is still relatively young, mobile and won't break the bank. If they can draft a Pickett or Ridder(2nd round), that's a bonus, but not needed.

Nothing really has changed. We never were considering Rodgers, Wilson, or Watson - or, at least we shouldn't have been. We really shouldn't be considering Jimmy G or anyone else that will cost us cap space and draft capital. We need both for our countless needs. Bring in a free agent to compete with Rudolph as a stopgap. If a guy they love falls to 20, get him (although none of us here think anyone is worth it). If not, wait until next year or even the year after to make a move to get your QB in the draft. By then, the rest of the team should be about as solid/good as it can be with picks and cap space used.

There are affordable vets that can be had out there to compete with MR, but still give the team a chance. Marcus Mariotta is still relatively young, mobile and won't break the bank. If they can draft a Pickett or Ridder(2nd round), that's a bonus, but not needed.
I think the money is better spent along the OL and DL & CB... A better OL and a DL that can stop the run will give the team a better chance then a QB that may or may not be better than Mason.

I think the money is better spent along the OL and DL & CB... A better OL and a DL that can stop the run will give the team a better chance then a QB that may or may not be better than Mason.
For the most part, but in the process you can still upgrade Rudy. No reason they can't attack all of this...

For the most part, but in the process you can still upgrade Rudy. No reason they can't attack all of this...
Exactly. If Mason goes down and there is a great chance of that happening, they have Haskins. They need someone as a security blanket. Like I said, a cost-effective QB to bridge the gap.

Exactly. If Mason goes down and there is a great chance of that happening, they have Haskins. They need someone as a security blanket. Like I said, a cost-effective QB to bridge the gap.
If Mason does get hurt then why not roll with Haskins? At least you will get your definitive answer on if he is worth keep around. Again the Steelers are not in any position to make a run at anything at this point. I'm not saying not to do it I'm just saying it not going to make a huge impact IMO.

If Mason does get hurt then why not roll with Haskins? At least you will get your definitive answer on if he is worth keep around. Again the Steelers are not in any position to make a run at anything at this point. I'm not saying not to do it I'm just saying it not going to make a huge impact IMO.
but you are discounting free agency and the draft where so much can happen to sure up the pieces. If we are rolling with MR and Haskins, then they are looking to 2023. I'm OK with that, but hopefully Cam and TJ are, as well.

but you are discounting free agency and the draft where so much can happen to sure up the pieces. If we are rolling with MR and Haskins, then they are looking to 2023. I'm OK with that, but hopefully Cam and TJ are, as well.
It's not like the players are going to put less effort in if MR and Haskins are the QB's... They live and breath that daily and I'm sure they know what the reality is plus I would fully expect those leaders to support them. I have no idea what the Steelers will do but this year is ugly as far as FA and draft QB's go.

Stay pat with what we have build and strengthen the team and make a move on a QB in 2023.

You are not winning with a rookie. So your plan basically suggest that we are waiting till 2024 in order to compete?

Also- who is to say that we will be in any better position to draft a QB next year? Its not look we were drafting in the top-10 when we started Mason/Duck. So we could very well be in the same position this time next year.

It's not like the players are going to put less effort in if MR and Haskins are the QB's... They live and breath that daily and I'm sure they know what the reality is plus I would fully expect those leaders to support them. I have no idea what the Steelers will do but this year is ugly as far as FA and draft QB's go.
they will not put out less effort, but will be on the field A LOT more. Hopefully the brain trust has a plan in place. Let's see what FA brings and go from there.

they will not put out less effort, but will be on the field A LOT more. Hopefully the brain trust has a plan in place. Let's see what FA brings and go from there.
Why would they be on the field more? We are talking about making improvements to the OL that will improve the run game and should help the QB's. This is assuming that the OL is improved.

You are not winning with a rookie. So your plan basically suggest that we are waiting till 2024 in order to compete?

Also- who is to say that we will be in any better position to draft a QB next year? Its not look we were drafting in the top-10 when we started Mason/Duck. So we could very well be in the same position this time next year.
There are a lot of questions but we are not competing for anything in 2024 with any of these QB's If the team improves other areas of the team like OL/DL it would be a lot easier to trade up next year for a QB. Having better players at key positions in not the same as this year.

I've been on the Winston aquisition train for awhile. I still say budget friendly and an upgrade. Why not and if you aren't getting better you are getting worse.

If Rednose got injured Haskins may not even be here, isn't he a RFA ?

Famous Jamis makes a lot of sense in injury assurance which is what Rudy would be should Jamis go down.

If we are not going to aquire a starter capable QB then someone needs to be brought in in case Rudolf get injured with or without Haskins on the roster.

Salute the nation

Jameis Winston or if you wanna QB who won’t lose you games…Teddy Bridgewater…

Yup, we're not trading for anyone, and those are my FA guys!

DIC, Haskins will be RFA tendered this year. No brainer!

I figured so but until it happens there is a chance. As low a risk vs $$$ Haskins is it is a no brainer and with the "restricted" FA tag, no team is going to give up their first for him.

Salute the nation