• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Number on 49ers Fams?

steelpastor

Reaction score
Am I missing something? There seemed to be A LOT of 49ers fans in the stadium on Sunday? What gives? Reasons? Is this a seat license issue (people keeping their after moving out of the area)? Hearing... "let's go Niners" coming from our own stands was like fingernails on a chalkboard! Any insights?

Sadly---it seems that away games are more advantageous for Steeler fan support than home games as of late..

I was driving during the first quarter listening to the game on DVE and I mistakenly thought the Steelers had made a big play based on the cheering I heard before the play-by-play.

So steelers season tickets are handed down generationally. A bunch of the season ticket holders are now either
1. people too old who rarely go to games, they just sell them.
2. People who were left tickets they don’t really care about so they sell them
3. People who inherited tickets they can’t really afford so they sell some of them

We noticed same thing on tv. Lots of red. That’s supposed to be a Chargers problem, not a STEELERS problem 🤬

So steelers season tickets are handed down generationally. A bunch of the season ticket holders are now either
3. People who inherited tickets they can’t really afford so they sell some of them
Can't say I am fine with them selling them to opposing fans. I realize the money aspect of it, just don't care for it.

We’ve been taking over other teams stadiums for years. Years. No other team has come close. And we’ve laughed as we’ve commented about it. Not so funny,of course,when it happens to us. We used to be feared as an opposition in Another teams schedule. Now other teams love to see us on their schedule. Because we have been so predictable to prepare for. Been happening for years. We all know what the common denominator is.
Let’s hope it was just one game,and things will change.

You could argue it is due to years of mediocrity.
Also---there are now more "transplants" from other parts of the country living in and around Pittsburgh than ever before...
Not saying there are many southern Californians living there...but when I lived in the Burgh, everyone that lived there were true blue multi-generational Pittsburghers..

Now when I visit, I meet people that have moved there in the last 5-10 years from all over the U.S>
In fact, the young couple that bought the home I was raised in, and my parents lived for 50 plus years was purchased by a couple from Iowa.

BTW---not saying this is proper, right, or what should happen....but if what happened yesterday with the Niner crowd being loud/boisterous, and that happened in the 70's...well then again that wouldn't of happened in the 70's lol.....

3 Rivers and that fan base were very intimating..

Last edited:
Also---there are now more "transplants" from other parts of the country living in and around Pittsburgh than ever before...
Not saying there are many southern Californians living there...but when I lived in the Burgh, everyone that lived there were true blue multi-generational Pittsburghers..

Now when I visit, I meet people that have moved there in the last 5-10 years from all over the U.S>
In fact, the young couple that bought the home I was raised in, and my parents lived for 50 plus years was purchased by a couple from Iowa.

BTW---not saying this is proper, right, or what should happen....but if what happened yesterday with the Niner crowd being loud/boisterous, and that happened in the 70's...well then again that wouldn't of happened in the 70's lol.....

3 Rivers and that fan base were very intimating..
We forget the 49ers are also a very successful franchise and many of those years they were carried by a kid from Western PA. I would say they have more than a few fans nationwide and probably more than few here because of Joe. We take over stadiums of lesser teams and poor franchises not so often the few that stand on similar stature to the Steelers, of which the 49ers are one. Besides if I were a niners fan I would rather watch them play anywhere other than the shithole that is now San Fran and the west coast.

The stadium fan base has definitely gotten more casual. I’ve witnessed older fans who were either in no rush to get to the game by kickoff, didn’t even know who the Steelers were playing, or didn’t care to stay until the end of the game (gotta beat the traffic, who cares who wins).

I will put you all at ease.
I have the correct answer.

Eddie Debartolo former owner of the Super Bowl 49'ers was from Youngstown. They were probably Ohioans, from Youngstown and vicinity, descendants of those from Youngstown that jumped on the 49er bandwagon back then.

I once even remember a sign on I680 entering the city congratulating the 49'er for the Super Bowl win.

49er-fans-in-valley-have-always-been-along-for-the-ride/

The 49ers have practiced at Youngstown State University twice over the seven years, and the Edward DeBartolo Memorial Scholarship Foundation’s annual dinner and auction has helped raise well over $1 million in college scholarships over the last two decades.
49ers-set-up-shop-in-youngstown/

There were alot of SF fans there yesterday. Probably more opposing fans than any other game I have been to. I think they have a big following in Jersey during to the Debartolo ownership. Just my guess.

Am I missing something? There seemed to be A LOT of 49ers fans in the stadium on Sunday? What gives? Reasons? Is this a seat license issue (people keeping their after moving out of the area)? Hearing... "let's go Niners" coming from our own stands was like fingernails on a chalkboard! Any insights?
Not trying to be a smartazz, but yes, you are missing something.!...see above post.

There were alot of SF fans there yesterday. Probably more opposing fans than any other game I have been to. I think they have a big following in Jersey during to the Debartolo ownership. Just my guess.
Close. The 49ers hav had a big following from Youngstown, where Debartolo is from. Not Jersey. See above post.

This. Morning Mike Florio made the same comment. When he was flying back to Pittsburgh this weekend he said there wer lots of Niner fans on the plane. He made the point that if someone can see a huge return on their tickets then why not sell them.

This. Morning Mike Florio made the same comment. When he was flying back to Pittsburgh this weekend he said there wer lots of Niner fans on the plane. He made the point that if someone can see a huge return on their tickets then why not sell them.
Yes. And the area the 49ers are from lots of money to burn. You could see where someone who is needing the money would sell them if they are offered a wad.

The money in football has trickled down to the fans now. It sucks, but it is what it is. This is why I no longer skip hunting to watch. I skip football instead.