• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

OTD In 1999, The Pittsburgh Steelers Broke Ground On Heinz Field

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
It seems like just yesterday the Pittsburgh Steelers were still playing in Three Rivers Stadium. There are many memories there, but on this day 22 years ago, they broke ground on their current home, Heinz Field.

Heinz Field has been home for the Steelers for the last 20 seasons, with their first game coming as a win against the Cincinnati Bengals on October 7th, 2001.

The Steelers have an absolutely astounding record at Heinz Field, going 116-43-1 over their 20 seasons there, including 8-6 in the playoffs. Their 0.725 win percentage at home is the 2nd best in the NFL over that span, trialing only the New England Patriots.

While the Steelers seem to make every stadium they play in seem like their home stadium with the way their fans travel, there is no better feeling than watching the Steelers run out of the tunnel onto Heinz Field.

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Blink and it has been 20 years. Lot of great memories from Heinz and from Latrobe as well pre -Covid. Hopefully we can get back to some sort of normalcy.

It's just me but I don't like being compared to the cheaters in terms of win loss. just saying.

I loved the open end Heinz field endzone. I would go down there and stand while eventually gaining position on the rail. I got some pretty good pictures from that vantage point. (Donte Collpepper is a BIG man).

I also remeber the unbelievable amount of electricity flowing amongst the fans, pre-2012 as now it seems the younger fan isn't in there as much for the game but as for the social aspect, can't blame the field for that.

I've been to some games at three rivers and that stadium "ROCKED" and not comparing it to Heinz as the construction is completely different.

LOVED & LOVE them both and looking forward to a return trip to HEINZ one day. The GREAT city of PITTSBURGH should never be taken for granted and just truly absorbed into the blood stream.

Salute the nation

So, Heinz Field is quickly catching up to the age Three Rivers Stadium was when they tore it down. Wonder how long Heinz Field will be around before they look for something new and improved again. I'd have to think it would last 50 years this time with some improvements/modifications along the way.

TRS (thre rivers stadium) lasted about 30 years. I'm curious as to when Heinz is finally replaced............ will public money be used ?

Salute the nation

I was there for the first preseason game against the Lions, August 2001. It wasn't the first venue for the public to go in and check out the new digs. There was a concert a day or two before the game I think.

Sort of surreal going in there after seeing both Pirates and Steelers games at TRS and I think the stadium has a lot to do with the psyche of the team. TRS exemplified those monster teams of the 70s and 90s that ground the opposition into the dirt or AstroTurf. Heinz is more upbeat and in line with the high energy, fast paced, go big or go home style they adopted. I prefer TRS but that's just me.

Random thoughts...

I'm amazed that it has retained the one sponsor (Heinz) since it's inception. I don't know if the 20 year contract signed in 2001 was standard procedure for naming/sponsorship back then, it only seems that some teams' (newer stadiums) have had multiple sponsorships in a few short years (Philly, Baltimore, etc). Wonder if Heinz will remain the sponsor after 2021, after the one year extension.....

(What I wasn't aware of, though, is that the corporation is now named Kraft/Heinz after a 2015 merger..... is that the same Kraft Co. that has it's evil CEO in massage boy Robert?)

The HF turf had to be the worst in the NFL for the first few years. It didn't help that the field was used by U of Pitt, high school games, for concerts, etc. Who could forget that rain-soaked field in a game vs the Dolphins in 2007, when the Miami punter landed a football straight into the mud.

I was in Pittsburgh (my and only - so far - trip there) in 2011 for a game vs. Tennessee. The Great Hall was pretty cool.,