• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Pennsylvania Gun Folks

EdReed4Prez

Reaction score
Tell me about your state laws. You happy with them or not? Are they safe, or are the Philly folks trying to take them? Wife and I are considering a move to PA, gun rights are near the top of my list.

Thanks in advance.

If you want secure gun rights you will need to moveoutof the north east. Thats just a fact of life. The sheep in the big cities will continue to allow pols to shear them and you along with them.

CCP is not terribly hard to get. At the moment there is a case in the courts that Philly will probably lose about having their own gun laws different from the state.

I don't think CCW is a good yardstick. In most rural counties in CA, CCW permits are shall issue. The local sheriffs get elected by running on a "shall issue" platform.

Open carry, and carry without a permit is the proper standard. I think only Vermont has it that good.

Tell me about your state laws. You happy with them or not? Are they safe, or are the Philly folks trying to take them? Wife and I are considering a move to PA, gun rights are near the top of my list.

Thanks in advance.

Right now the gun laws are fine. The problem is that we elected Tom Wolf as governor. All Corbet woulda had to do is be a little less of an *******. The Congress is firmly in Republican hands, however. But you know how it is. Sometime in the future there will be an incident somewhere that the gun banners will latch on to. I have always felt that the Dems are more dedicated to the ideology of gun control than the Repubs are to the rights of gun owners.

Philly and the areas around there are lost. Don't really know about the 'Burgh. But you get out into the country a bit, it is decidedly pro-gun, imo. Just had a dentist appointment today, and the dental hygienist lady started in on gun control people. Never expected that when I walked in there. So there is hope.

On a side note. A handful of us from my gun range got together and brought our M1s out and had a "Bastogne" shoot. What a blast, listening to those pings. We hope to get more people for next year. So if you move and have an M1...

Here's a cool tidbit of info: you can have multiple concealed carry permits, not just your State of residence. My local gun range offered a course yesterday for a Utah permit. I couldn't make it, but I will eventually. I have an Indiana license to carry. Ohio doesn't honor it. . Damn near every State honors Utah though, and if I have a Utah permit then **** you, Ohio. Side note: I recently got a speeding ticket a little north of Cincy and had my gun with me. I was up front and told the cop about it and he let it go. Honesty is always the best policy.

Well, honesty and not trying to take the cop's gun or pointing yours at him. Or walking down the middle of the street or casing apartments while hopped up on purple drank and/or dubage.

In case you have ever considered a move a little south Ed, Virginia has some of the best gun laws in the country. I routinely carry 20 rounds in my 9mm that is unlocked in my glovebox. No permit of any type needed. You can also carry anything you want on your hip. Maryland and DC are my kryptonite. **** them, if they don't want my tourist dollars they can pound sand.

I even get mad when I go into NC because you have to have your handgun locked in a safe in your car unless you have a CCP. I have no need for a CCP here in VA and that is the way I like it. The fewer gubmint types that know about my guns the better.

I don't think CCW is a good yardstick. In most rural counties in CA, CCW permits are shall issue. The local sheriffs get elected by running on a "shall issue" platform.

Open carry, and carry without a permit is the proper standard. I think only Vermont has it that good.

Arizona allows open carry and concealed carry without a permit. Only restrictions are that you can't carry concealed in a bar or near a school without a permit. Arizona is a shall issue state.

You can carry a pistol in your glovebox in FL...just say you're going to the gun range

(explanation works best if you get stopped before dark)

Gun laws? what you people talking about? You have such a thing?

I think I saw it here one time. "There is only one gun law in the US and that is the 2nd amendment, all others will be considered but ignored"

You can carry a pistol in your glovebox in FL...just say you're going to the gun range

(explanation works best if you get stopped before dark)

You can carry your pistol in your glovebox anytime as long as it is in a zippered case.............................
Handguns – must be either "securely encased" or not immediately available for use.[16] "Securely encased" means in a glove compartment, whether or not locked; snapped in a holster; in a gun case, whether or not locked; in a zippered gun case; or in a closed box or container which requires a lid or cover to be opened for access-
http://www.ask.com/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Florida?lang=en

My gun range is my backyard so that 'going to the range' excuse won't hunt. Luckily it's also legal to have a gun range in my backyard in Florida.
In Florida it is legal to discharge firearms on private property even if you live in a city and you are in a zero lot line home. provided you don't shoot across publicly maintained roads or over or through occupied dwellings

The bottom line is that Fl. law doesn't tell you what you can do, they just tell you what you can't do. Luckily I haven't had to argue with the local sheriff over his right to supersede State law and I hope I never do.

Last edited:
Well, honesty and not trying to take the cop's gun or pointing yours at him. Or walking down the middle of the street or casing apartments while hopped up on purple drank and/or dubage.

If I can't do any of these what is the point? I forgot, I'm white I'm pretty sure I can do those things and be just fine.

What part of PA are you considering? I'm not a gun owner so I don't know all the ins and outs, I do know some of the townships or boroughs have their own ordinances.

What part of PA are you considering? I'm not a gun owner so I don't know all the ins and outs, I do know some of the townships or boroughs have their own ordinances.

Eastern PA but no where near Philly.

Eastern PA but no where near Philly.

Ok...don't know that area but I would check the local ordinances. Some have laws against firing a gun within township or borough boundaries, some have laws against possessing in public buildings or on public land, etc. From what I read though, many are dropping them, as apparently a state law was recently passed allowing citizens to sue townships and boroughs over these restrictions.

Ok...don't know that area but I would check the local ordinances. Some have laws against firing a gun within township or borough boundaries, some have laws against possessing in public buildings or on public land, etc. From what I read though, many are dropping them, as apparently a state law was recently passed allowing citizens to sue townships and boroughs over these restrictions.

Local ordinances should not supersede state law (imo, MAY not). Grew up in Penn Hills Twp. bordering Pittsburgh....relatively urban. They had ordinances against weapon discharges which were recently struck down because they were more restrictive than state law. While the challenge came mostly from hunting proponents the decision illustrated and made use of the idea stated in my first sentence.

Ed- open carry is completely legal in Pa., as it is in the rest of the country. That some states deny that RIGHT to its citizens is am abomination of law and in a perfect world a completely un-Constitutional.

As for CC permits each county has its own parameters and some are draconian (Philly, Allegheny, etc.). My wife just got one and the rural county in which we live requires only a brief application, an NCIC computer check and a 40 dollar fee.....took her like ten minutes from handing over the application and leaving the courthouse.

Local ordinances should not supersede state law (imo, MAY not). Grew up in Penn Hills Twp. bordering Pittsburgh....relatively urban. They had ordinances against weapon discharges which were recently struck down because they were more restrictive than state law. While the challenge came mostly from hunting proponents the decision illustrated and made use of the idea stated in my first sentence.

Yes, I guess someone would have to decide whether that's a battle they want to fight. Peters Twp. where I used to live near Pittsburgh had a similar ordinance, as does a neighboring township to where I live now. In my township you can fire away.

The gun laws in PA are decent right now, But Kathleen Kane has been revoking reprocity laws with other states and now with Tom Wolf elected as a Gov it's surely going to go down hill pretty quickly. Once my son graduates HS my wife and I are moving south where I can carry freely and distill legally.