• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Post Combine and Free Agency Mock Draft

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
With the combine and big splash of free agent signings behind us I am taking another look at the NFL draft. Obviously, needs have changed a little after a few key signings especially in the interior offensive line and quarterback positions.

Round 1- Steelers trade #20 & #84 with Packers for #22, #59, & #92. There’s two players I want at #20 with Penning and Davis still on the board. Packers offer a lot to move up two spots and I take the chance to scoop up another second round pick.

#22- Jordan Davis DT Georgia

With some of the Steelers off-season moves DT becomes a priority. I feel Alualu starts the season atop the depth chart but slowly and surely Davis receives more and more playing time throughout the year. My biggest concern with Davis is stamina. I feel he might never be more than a 50% of the snap type player but in this scenario and us having the luxury of splitting time with Alualu it just makes sense. This should bolster a poor run defense immediately and hopefully help Watt and Highsmith receive more one-on-one attention on the outside.

#52- Leo Chenal ILB Wisconsin

I know the Steelers signed Myles Jack but I feel he’s more of a Mack LB, much like Bush, and we are still in need of a true Buck LB. Also, Steelers did not 5th year option Bush so there’s no guarantee he comes back after this season. Chenal is one of the best run stuffing and blitzing linebackers to come out of the draft in recent memory. With the luxury of having Bush and Jack for coverage the Steelers can bring Chenal in during running situations immediately and as his coverage skills improve he can have added playing time as the season goes on. Again, this is an immediate bolster to the run defense.

#59- Kerby Joseph S Illinois

Bolster the middle of that defense again with Joseph the former WR turned safety for the Illini. Joseph really broke out after the Nebraska game. He graded out the season at 90.4 and his run defense much improved with a 76.5 pff grade for the season. He ended the season with 5 interceptions and had a tfl and sack to boot. I feel he’s an ascending player with his transition to safety finally setting in.

Round 3- Steelers trade #92 to Browns for #99 & #118. There’s a couple of trade offers on the board but this one stands out. I pick up a 4th round pick for just dropping another 7 spots.

#99- Christian Watson WR North Dakota State

Watson is a guy who has started growing on me the last few weeks. His athleticism is elite, his size of 6-4 208lbs with 10 ⅛” hands is well above average, and his yards per catch has never averaged less than 18.3 a season. Now there’s things I don’t like and he’s very similar to Claypool in the sense he’s raw. He needs to refine his route tree and expand it. He needs to become more of a hands catcher and have better concentration as he sometimes lets the ball get to his body or turns his head away from the ball and not follow it in until it’s secured. But this late in the draft you aren’t going to have a perfect prospect.

#118- Zach Tom OL Wake Forest

Tom is a versatile lineman with elite balance and athleticism. He is very smart, sets up his blocks well, and can play multiple positions. I feel he could potentially play every position on the line but he is probably best suited for center or guard.

#138- Jelani Woods TE Virginia

Woods is a riser on my draft board as he has elite size and athleticism. The former QB has filled out his 6-7 frame nicely but he does have more room to grow. He enjoyed his best receiving season last year with 44 grabs and 598 yards with 8 scores. He has a long way to go on blocking but with Freiermuth and Gentry ahead of him he likely won’t be asked to do much for his first year. This pick protects the Steelers from the likely scenario that Gentry leaves after 2022 as an UFA.

https://youtu.be/QsBN2se6mag

#208- Hassan Haskins RB Michigan

Haskins would likely sit at #3 in 2022 but this pick should ensure a decent backup to Harris after Snell leaves as an UFA in 2023. Haskins is a typical Big Ten running back as he’s a north/south runner whose style of play translates well to the NFL.

https://youtu.be/DYzUJfy5OSc

#225- Jack Jones CB Arizona State

Jones has primarily played outside but I feel he’d excel inside as a nickel CB. He is a little undersized at 5-11 and 171lbs but he is a willing tackler and this year showed much improvement in his blitz timing and run defense.

https://youtu.be/npdDwDfwHQM

#241 Esezi Otomewo DL Minnesota

Otomewo is a jacked up 5-technique standing 6-5 282lbs with over 34” arms. He has room to easily had another 20lbs on his frame without losing speed or bend. In an ideal world Tuitt comes back and Esezi gets a couple seasons to develop behind him. Regardless, Wormley did a nice job last year and would allow Esezi to come in sparingly his rookie season.

https://youtu.be/rvQ2pXD7vkg

Let me know what you would think of this draft.

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

- a 2nd rounder for a buck ILB just doesn’t fly for me. DL/OT/ WR/ S must have had value on the board ahead of chenal.

The rest looks fine
No way do the Steelers draft a ILBer high.

Not with questions on the Dline, the exit of two WRs and for now missing a SS.

- a 2nd rounder for a buck ILB just doesn’t fly for me. DL/OT/ WR/ S must have had value on the board ahead of chenal.

The rest looks fine
We really don’t have a Buck backer on the team at the moment. And just because he hasn’t been asked to cover doesn’t mean he can’t. Just not how he was used at Wisconsin. Out of all the linebackers rated since 1987 he ranks 4th in the RAS test. That’s out of 2188 linebackers.
Bush has disappointed and Jack hasn’t lived up to his potential. We might end up with neither on the team after 2022.

That a lot to move up two spots.
Trade offer was there. I used PFF draft stimulator. But Penning was the guy they grabbed and if you have a high grade on him like I do it would be a steal. IMO Penning doesn’t get out of the top 5. Definitely not top 10.

We really don’t have a Buck backer on the team at the moment. And just because he hasn’t been asked to cover doesn’t mean he can’t. Just not how he was used at Wisconsin. Out of all the linebackers rated since 1987 he ranks 4th in the RAS test. That’s out of 2188 linebackers.
Bush has disappointed and Jack hasn’t lived up to his potential. We might end up with neither on the team after 2022.

agree, that's why I would target an ILB at 3rd or 4t round. You have 12 players in the big board between 1st and 4th round, I bet you for the 3rd round pick there will be at least 5 of them available, include Beavers in that list, who other boards have him as a 3rd/4th rounder at latest

Trade offer was there. I used PFF draft stimulator. But Penning was the guy they grabbed and if you have a high grade on him like I do it would be a steal. IMO Penning doesn’t get out of the top 5. Definitely not top 10.
I think your draft is pretty good, especially at the top. The PFF draft simulator is brutal for the Steelers. Not many guys I like and I kept falling back on Chenal in many of my mocks on that site.

I think your draft is pretty good, especially at the top. The PFF draft simulator is brutal for the Steelers. Not many guys I like and I kept falling back on Chenal in many of my mocks on that site.
It fell real nice round one but round two on I really had to not force a need. ILB might be more of a 2023 need but he’d be a day one contributor. Probably play similar snap count as Davis.

It fell real nice round one but round two on I really had to not force a need. ILB might be more of a 2023 need but he’d be a day one contributor. Probably play similar snap count as Davis.
That's how I looked at it as well. It gives the team flexibility with Bush and Jack moving beyond 2022.

2 guys I woould add WR javon hieligh 6"2 215 Coastal Carolina 4.45 big plsy threat and late CB USC Stuart big lanky physical and fast Corner

WR Tyquan Thornton 6' 2", 4.28 40 and a 40in vertical at the combine. This guy is going to be a steal in the later rounds.

Losing JuJu and signing Jacks changes the draft for the Steelers...

1. Olave - WR - OSU
2. Tyler Smith - OT - Tulsa
3. Matthew Butler - DT - Tenn.
4.Dameon Pierce - RB - Florida
5. Marcus Jones - CB - Houston
6. Tycen Anderson - S - Toledo
7. Thomas Booker - DT - Stanford

WR Tyquan Thornton 6' 2", 4.28 40 and a 40in vertical at the combine. This guy is going to be a steal in the later rounds.

Overview
There is a lot to like about Thornton's game, including his instincts, long speed and ability to create separation on the move. He's a vertical threat with the speed and poise to win deep and has an excellent feel for maintaining spacing when working against zone coverage. He's skinny and linear, which is a bad combination in defeating strong press-man corners on the next level. The poise and catch radius will work in his favor, but the success rate on contested catches will be lower than teams like, based upon his history and physical traits. Wideouts with his size profile have struggled mightily to succeed in the league, but Thornton's speed and talent make him worthy of a shot on Day 3.
Weaknesses
  • Bone thin and likely to stay that way.
  • Strong press coverage could eliminate him for the game.
  • Hands are extremely small for the position.
  • Linear release gets redirected and slowed.
  • The entire route tree will not be available to him.
  • Slow to sink, break and change direction in his patterns.
  • Needs to stack defenders when he gets them beat.
  • Could struggle to hang on through contact.

Forget what these sites say about team needs. It seems like they were set up in January and only partly updated through this free agency period. The Steelers are, at this moment, strapped for cash and short on depth, or quality depth, at these positions (in no particular order):

1. WR (we lost 3 and have 2 + a KR currently: Steelers usually carry 5/6)
2. Edge (we have 2: Steelers usually carry 4)
3. CB (we have 3: usually carry 5)
4. IDL (we have Adams, and no idea how many after him due to injuries, etc.)
5. OT (we have 2 + a swing G/OT: usually carry 3 + swing man)
6. RB (we have 1 and 2 BAD back ups: real need for quality depth here)

Cash strapped means we will only be able to fill spots with very low cost (read: league minimum) FAs, so most open spots will have to be filled via the draft. And I know how I would arrange the list above in regard to what I think are our priorities, but I don't know what the coaches are thinking. That said, Colbert typically goes BPA at one of the positions on the list and fills it out from there.

Last edited:

Overview
There is a lot to like about Thornton's game, including his instincts, long speed and ability to create separation on the move. He's a vertical threat with the speed and poise to win deep and has an excellent feel for maintaining spacing when working against zone coverage. He's skinny and linear, which is a bad combination in defeating strong press-man corners on the next level. The poise and catch radius will work in his favor, but the success rate on contested catches will be lower than teams like, based upon his history and physical traits. Wideouts with his size profile have struggled mightily to succeed in the league, but Thornton's speed and talent make him worthy of a shot on Day 3.
Weaknesses
Yeah, they can say what they want...said similar **** about Deebo Samuel and I was right about him too. :)

Yeah, they can say what they want...said similar **** about Deebo Samuel and I was right about him too. :)
If I remember correctly, the knock on Deebo was his speed and play speed.
anyone who saw the dude play, though, knew he wasnt a slouch.

Overview
Weaknesses
That equates to a resounding NO...

Went to first-pick.com...

Stunner draft!!!

Your score is: 53120 (GRADE: A)

Your Picks:

Round 1 Pick 20: Drake London, WR, USC (A) - went shopping back at USC since JuJu is gone. London is better.
Round 2 Pick 20: Malik Willis, QB, Liberty (A+) - he fell in my lap so...it makes sense to build for the future.
Round 3 Pick 32 (DEN): George Pickens, WR, Georgia (A+) - you won't even remember James Washington after this selection.
Round 4 Pick 10 (DEN): Brandon Smith, ILB/OLB, Penn State (A+) - I felt bad for Tape so - Smith puts pressure on Bush.
Round 4 Pick 34 (COMP): Leo Chenal, ILB/OLB, Wisconsin (A+) - my research shows that Chenal's numbers nearly mirror Micah Parson's in college. Shall I say more???
Round 5 Pick 2 (DEN): Storm Duck, CB, North Carolina (A+) - we had a duck so I wanted another - too much talent to pass up at this stage.
Round 7 Pick 7 (G.B.): Ryan Hayes, OT, Michigan (A+) - developmental OT; hopefully better than Chuks.
Round 7 Pick 20: Lucas Krull, TE, Pittsburgh (A+) - Ebron is gone so Krull fits here.
Round 7 Pick 39 (G.B.): Kennedy Brooks, RB, Oklahoma (A+) - need more talent behind Najee.