• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

PPG Dulac: ‘Good Chance JuJu Returns’

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
We’ve now completed the two day window for teams to recruit other teams free agents and make agreements with them on new contracts. The Pittsburgh Steelers made several of those agreements, but they haven’t agreed to terms with any wide receivers yet. And they need a wide receiver to add to the mix.

Now, free agent JuJu Smith-Schuster has also not signed with another team. It appears that his market may have dried up to where it’s worse than last off-season when he was a free agent for the first time.

Steelers beat writer, and insider, Gerry Dulac from the Pittsburgh Post Gazette answered fan questions today, and one of those questions was about Smith-Schuster. (click the yellow to read the entire Q&A)

The Ville: Gerry – what is the likelihood that JuJu is back? Seems his market is similar to last year.

Dulac: His market is worse than last year. I think there’s a good chance he will be back. I think it’s a good move to do so.

We’ve mentioned here on SteelerNation.com the past few days that Smith-Schuster’s market may take a hit because he basically missed the entire 2021 season, and he was a non-factor the first 5 weeks before he was injured. Combine that with the fact he hasn’t been able to put up true #1 receiver numbers since Antonio Brown left.. it seems to be a cause of concern for teams.

The Steelers could use Smith-Schuster’s locker room presence. Whether or not some like it, he’s a leader in the locker room, and considered to be a high character teammate. The Steelers know him, and have to value him more than outside teams. He’s likely looking at another 1-year contract worth 7-8 million like he signed with Pittsburgh last offseason if he’s leaving Pittsburgh. But if he’s sticking around the Steelers would probably value him enough to give him a longer deal. Something in the three year range. Even then he would only be 28 years old when he’d hit free agency. Still enough time to hit a major payday if he performs over the next few years.

Not to mention Mitchell Trubisky is an ideal quarterback for Smith-Schuster. The Steelers figure to use the middle of the field quite a bit this year, and Smith-Schuster does most of his damage across the middle.

All things considered, it might not be the end of #19 in black and gold. It should get interesting over the next 48 hours. Stay tuned.

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

I'd be ok either way so long as it isn't cheap somewhere else. Since rookie year just good really

Show him the money.

I think we could sign Ju Ju for a reasonable contract if they’re actually interested.The Steelers that is!

I'd be ok either way so long as it isn't cheap somewhere else. Since rookie year just good really
No, rookie year was 2017.
2018 he had 111 catches for 1,400 yards.
2019 his stats suffered due to Ben’s injury
2020 his stats suffered due to lateral passing scheme but still had 97 catches and 9 TDs.
2021 he was injured but made his way back

I appreciated him coming back last year. Showed a lot of character. If price is right. Sure. ButbTroglodyte it's hard to pay for due to's.

No, rookie year was 2017.
2018 he had 111 catches for 1,400 yards.
2019 his stats suffered due to Ben’s injury
2020 his stats suffered due to lateral passing scheme but still had 97 catches and 9 TDs.
2021 he was injured but made his way back
8.6 YPC. Even in this bad offense, the YPC is probably only 2 below what it would be otherwise. Just not great numbers for a receiver and one that should lower his value.

I would rather bring back Washington or try and snag either Landry or Robinson.

8.6 YPC. Even in this bad offense, the YPC is probably only 2 below what it would be otherwise. Just not great numbers for a receiver and one that should lower his value.
He had all of 15 catches. DJ only averaged 10.9 yards on over 100 catches.

Same YPC the previous year as well. You add on two yards to DJ's that puts him at 12.9, which is at least respectable. With teams looking to stretch the field, JuJu did the opposite, didn't make plays after the catch, and really put up average TE type numbers rather than slot receiver numbers. I like him and want him back at a fair deal, it just makes me realize why teams from around the league will be low on his potential right now.

Man id take him back but not more expensive than he signed last year… the guy is a superb supplemental piece but he isn’t a number 1 guy

I think last year was 8 mil. I'd sign him for that as well. Still draft fast pants WR or recruit our draft pick runner.!

Salute the nation

He had 97 catches the year before and the exact same 8.6 yards per reception. He is a slow WR coupled with no quickness, we need better and especially for the 8 million or so he will demand.

He had 97 catches the tear before and the exact same 8.6 yards per reception. He is a slow WR coupled with no quickness, we need better and especially for the 8 million or so he will demand.
DJ averaged 10.5 YPC the year before and has exceptional lateral quickness. It’s the lateral passing game. It’s like you guys have forgotten everything you’ve watched the past two years.

But...He fights for the first down whenever we need it & is a freakin' bull....
This. On 3rd and 2, the Steelers sure as hell weren’t running the ball, they threw a 4 yard slant to JuJu for a first down. Kinda like how Bettis averaged <4 YPC but had many 1st down conversions on 3rd and 4th and 1.

DJ averaged 10.5 YPC the year before and has exceptional lateral quickness. It’s the lateral passing game. It’s like you guys have forgotten everything you’ve watched the past two years.
Nope I see a slow WR that can't beat press coverage. Funny the entire NFL must see it as he has been an UFA the last 2 years and faster less accomplished receivers are getting signed for tons of dollars and this guy sits and sits and sits.

But...He fights for the first down whenever we need it & is a freakin' bull....
We have TEs that can do that and not waste a roster slot for an overpaid slow WR that scares no teams and limits our offense.

Saw some stats of JuJu with and without AB, and there was a seriously stark difference.

Love JuJu's fight and heart on the field, he's just not a game changer.

He had 97 catches the year before and the exact same 8.6 yards per reception. He is a slow WR coupled with no quickness, we need better and especially for the 8 million or so he will demand.
Stats need to be looked at in context. Sure he had a 8 yd/rec avg. However, when getting a pass in less than 3 seconds from the QB, there isn’t much time for separation. That’s why most of the slants, posts, curls and trips routes were caught before the 1st down marker. If you had a QB who released the ball 1 to 1 -1/2 seconds later, you can have more separation. That was the scheme put in for Ben the last two years because of his long ball inaccuracy after the injury.

Whatever rocks your boat. He is a decent player with no speed or quickness and our receiving corps needs a ton of both.