• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Progress is all we need from Dwayne Haskins

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Tonight in Carolina, Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Dwayne Haskins will make his first start for the black and gold… albeit a preseason game. But that same thought would’ve been a crazy one a year ago. So much has happened since Haskins played his last down in Washington.

The biggest thing that happened was the Steelers came calling. An organization based on consistency and honor. There were few if any places more perfect for Haskins than Pittsburgh. Tomlin may be the ideal coach too.

The arm talent is there. The desire appears to be there. Now the Steelers and Tomlin just need to figure out how to get the best out of Haskins.

It’s been slow and steady so far this preseason for Haskins. He’s entered each game near the end of the second quarter or later, and has been put on the field without many of the same weapons that Ben Roethlisberger will have at his disposal come September 12, in Buffalo.

However, that hasn’t stopped Haskins from putting points on the board. He’s been effective without having to stretch his arm much. The short passes with good decision making has been his bread and butter.

Tonight though, Haskins will get a few of those weapons that Roethlisberger will have, and a majority of the starting offensive line. It’s expected that the Panthers will deploy their first team defense against Haskins. This should be the best opportunity to see how much he’s grown over the off-season, and likely the only opportunity (at least we hope) until next season.

“This is a chance for me to show what I can do and keep getting more reps,” said Haskins. “I feel like if I do my job and show that I can perform at a varsity level, against varsity defenders and have varsity guys around me, that I will be more deserving of those reps.”

The last time Haskins played in Carolina he threw two interceptions in a 20-13 loss that nearly bounced them from the 2020 playoff picture. He was released a day later.

“I feel like that game really just was tough for me more than anything,” Haskins said Wednesday. “Probably the biggest thing for me going into this game is understanding and realizing that that’s not who I am now, and that’s not what I was trying to be when I was playing. …

“I’m looking forward to showcasing and doing things that I know I’m talented enough to do. And go out there and put it on film.”

Tomlin agreed.

“Excited about giving him an opportunity to see some reps against Carolina’s first group,” Tomlin said

Haskins went from 8 for 13 against Dallas, to 16 for 22 against Philadelphia. He didn’t receive much opportunity on Saturday night after Roethlisberger and Mason Rudolph played the majority of the meaningful time. Those small strides are what matters the most when dealing with Haskins.

The talent is there. The confidence needs to come back and be channeled in the right direction. But it appears the Steelers could be saving Haskins’ career. And soon it could be Haskins saving the Steelers seasons.

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Whoever writes this fanboy stuff doesn’t know squat about player evaluation. Quit sniffing Haskins balls and watch him play.

Whoever writes this fanboy stuff doesn’t know squat about player evaluation. Quit sniffing Haskins balls and watch him play.

This was written before today's game when he actually showed some promising signs (albeit, against backups) - but promising nonetheless.

This was written before today's game when he actually showed some promising signs (albeit, against backups) - but promising nonetheless.
Promising 😂 vs guys who will be working at Walmart next week. No one that has an ounce of talent evaluation knowledge thought he had the shot at backup. And to be honest I don’t think he makes the 53 man. Keeping him means maybe Snell, Ballage, Rader Gentry, loudermilk, buggs, Jamir Jones, Gilbert, Norwood or Layne don’t make it. All of the players listed above are better. Keep Roethlisberger and Rudolph and I bet Haskins clears waivers for PS. If not Dobbs should.

He makes the team due to Dobb's injury.

I think the hype on him the last several weeks, has been about making him tradeable.

After tge first half Haskins had a passer rating of 2.8
When his day was supposedly to be over he had a passer rating of 7.0

Dobbs injury let him come in and jack that up to 71… he raised it 10x coming in at the end there

Once more he needs to be better at reading defenses i think… Tomlin mentioned that so many times in comments (usually praising him in instances he did well with it) that you know its a concern. Against the top init you saw that issue more defined…

Oof. What a **** show at QB. I'm bummed.

Context. He probably had less help with quality starters than Carolina put on the field. Reality he is closer to the first round pick bust than he is legit starter.