• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Projected 53-man Roster (Post-Preseason)

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Last night, the Pittsburgh Steelers fell to the Carolina Panthers, 34-9. The Steelers’ preseason has closed and the focus now is shaping the team’s initial 53-man roster to start the regular season. There were some excellent performances during the preseason and training camp for a lot of players that still may not survive the last round of cuts. Here is my projected 53-man roster for 2021!

Quarterbacks: (3)

Ben Roethlisberger

Mason Rudolph

Dwayne Haskins

Breakdown: Yes, despite a not-so-great performance during the preseason finale, Haskins still gets the nod over Josh Dobbs.

Running Backs: (4)

Najee Harris

Benny Snell

Kalen Ballage

Anthony McFarland

Breakdown: Even though some of you may not agree, Snell is going to make the team. Jaylen Samuels seems to be the odd man out due to a great preseason and camp from Ballage.

Fullback: (1)

Derek Watt

Breakdown: Not much competition here, Watt is our fullback!

Wide Receivers: (5)

Juju Smith-Schuster

Diontae Johnson

Chase Claypool

James Washington

Ray-Ray McCloud

Breakdown: McCloud’s roster spot was probably secured last night when Mathew Sexton muffed a punt. I was on the fence with Sexton, because I think he offers a little more as a returner, but HC Mike Tomlin always preaches about doing the little things and McCloud beats out Sexton in that aspect.

Tight Ends: (3)

Eric Ebron

Pat Freiermuth

Zach Gentry

Breakdown: This tight end group is all locked up barring an injury.

Offensive Line: (9)

Kevin Dotson

Trai Turner

Zach Banner

Chukwuma Okorafor

Kendrick Green

Dan Moore

B.J. Finney

Rashaad Coward

Joe Haeg

Breakdown: There are a lot of new faces in this group this season and I’m excited to see the starting 5 together. The one time during the preseason they played together, they were dominant in the run game and protected the QB well. Finney offers position flexibility on the inside and he’s the better and more experienced option, so I kept him over J.C. Hassenauer. The same could be said about Coward, he’s been playing bully ball all preseason in the run game and that’s the identity the team is shooting for after an underwhelming 2020 season up front. Haeg and Moore have been consistent during the preseason at both tackle positions, and it just makes sense to have an option at both tackle spots.

Defensive Line: (6)

Cameron Heyward

Stephon Tuitt

Tyson Alualu

Chris Wormley

Carlos Davis

Isaiahh Loudermilk

Breakdown: Isaiah Buggs has improved a lot and it showed during camp and the preseason, but he is just is the odd man out here. Even with the improvement, Davis still outperformed him and could be of value on special teams as well.

Outside Linebackers: (4)

TJ Watt

Alex Highsmith

Melvin Ingram

Jamir Jones

Breakdown: Jones is my candidate for preseason defensive MVP. He has played out of his mind this preseason and has shown that he is capable of getting to the QB. I decided to cut Quincy Roche and Cassius Marsh to keep a 6th corner.

Inside Linebackers: (5)

Devin Bush

Joe Schobert

Marcus Allen

Robert Spillane

Buddy Johnson

Breakdown: In my eyes, Allen was battling for a roster spot with Ulysses Gilbert and just shows he’s more consistently available. Availability is the most important ability. Spillane is most likely the top backup to come on in the case of an injury and Johnson will see the field a lot on special teams with Allen.

Safeties: (4)

Minkah Fitzpatrick

Terrell Edmunds

Miles Killebrew

Tre Norwood

Breakdown: The primary backup safety will most likely be Norwood, but he also offers position flexibility at the slot corner position as well. Killebrew will take on Jordan Dangerfield’s old role as the team’s special team’s ace.

Cornerbacks: (6)

Joe Haden

Cameron Sutton

James Pierre

Justin Layne

Arthur Maulet

Mark Gilbert

Breakdown: I believe the Steelers will keep 6 corners on the initial roster, because they usually do. Layne has struggled at times during the preseason and camp, but has found ways to make plays during game action. Maulet was battling for the slot corner position with Antoine Brooks Jr., who was recently cut, cleared waivers, and returned to the team to be placed on IR. Brooks being placed on IR has also opened the door for the team to keep another corner and my pick for the 6th spot is undrafted rookie Gilbert. Gilbert has shown a lot of promise during preseason action and had a really strong camp.

Special Teamers: (3)

Pressley Harvin III

Chris Boswell

Christian Kuntz

Breakdown: Harvin III beats out incumbent Jordan Berry. Both have performed really well this preseason and in camp, but I think Berry has had been too inconsistent in the past and the Steelers have attempted to replace him the past couple of years. The time is now and Harvin has a massive leg! Kuntz is just a better athlete than incumbent long snapper, Kameron Canaday, so he gets the spot!

How do you see the Steelers initial 53-man roster shaping up? Sound off in the comment section below, or on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

QB- 2
Ben Roethlisberger
Mason Rudolph

Haskins didn’t show enough in my opinion to warrant a roster spot. He’s had a few good throws and I believe he has talent but I just don’t see us keeping him when there’s some very tough cuts at other positions that could benefit us now.

RB- 4
Najee Harris
Benny Snell
Kalen Ballage
A. McFarland

I don’t see how they can cut Ballage and unless they trade Snell I

FB- 1
Derek Watt

WR- 5
D. Johnson
C. Claypool
JuJu
Washington
Ray-Ray

We could go with 6 but I feel we stash two on the practice squad.

TE- 4
Freiermuth
Ebron
Rader
Gentry

This here’s an example of a guy that goes if we keep Haskins. Rader and Gentry are good blockers but both have shown some value in the passing game. Having the luxury of keeping

OL- 8
Chuks
Turner
Green
Dotson
Banner
Moore
Haeg
Finney

I think we have a very versatile line. Moore can play both tackles, Haeg can play tackle and guard, Finney can player center and guard. I think the versatility allows us to stash a cou

DL- 7
Heyward
Alualu
Tuitt
Loudermilk
Wormley
Davis
Buggs

I am not sure what’s up with Tuitt. If they IR him and designate him to return I can see us signing Coward or JC back and have 9 OL.

OLB- 5
Watt
Highsmith
Ingram
Roche
Jamir Jones

Another situation where it’s between Roche and Jones but not having to choose allows both to stay.

ILB- 4
Bush
Schobert
Buddy Johnson
Robert Spillane

Gilbert had a good preseason but he’s so oft-injured I go with Spillane. I know he got beat bad by Carolina but he was also one on one with receivers. I don’t think Bush or Schobert would be very successful leaving them alone like that.

CB- 6
Haden
Pierre
Sutton
Layne
Gilbert
Shakur Brown

Another situation where Gilbert or Brown are on the bubble but not having to choose is great.

S- 4
Fitzpatrick
Edmunds
Norwood
Killebrew

Norwood did drop an easy int but he’s had a good camp and can play several positions. Killebrew can play ILB in a pinch so we get depth and position flexibility.

ST- 3
Boswell
Harvin
Canaday