• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Question about the standard flu

JMM

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm right here. Can't you understand plain English
Does the generic brand flu that kills hundreds of thousands every year get the title "Pandemic" or "Epidemic" or does that title just go to viruses that have a cool name? Bird Flu, Swine Flu, Ebola, H1N1, etc..

Who gets to classify the virus as a pan or epidemic?

If regular flu kills that many, I for one think it needs the accolades and 24/7 coverage

Last edited:
With the regular flu they don't have to shut down the whole ******* country. In most cases they have vaccines and therapy meds. This corona thingy caught everyone with their pants down. I would hate to see what the statistics would be if all the precautions we are taking weren't happening.

I don’t recall seeing video profiles on firemen, teachers, etc. dying from the flu back in 2017-2018 when over 60,000 died in U.S.

Does the generic brand flu that kills hundreds of thousands every year get the title "Pandemic" or "Epidemic" or does that title just go to viruses that have a cool name? Bird Flu, Swine Flu, Ebola, H1N1, etc..

If regular flu kills that many, I for one think it needs the accolades and 24/7 coverage

If I understand your question, an epidemic is regional, a pandemic is a disease that is worldwide.

The flu is a generic term that includes a variety of strains that have already been in circulation to the point there is some resistance to the spread and includes H1N1 now.
Covid-19 is a novel disease with no know prior immunity therefore the quicker spread and danger it poses. While the Flu kills a lot of people it does so over the course of the flu season and is rarely ever going to threaten to kill millions because of existing immunities vaccines and treatments unless it has a major mutation which then becomes a major new strain like H1N1 or the Spanish Flu. The difference is not how many they kill but how fast and far it spreads into unprotected populations.

This has no chance in killing millions, the aftermath of this shutdown maybe.

I wasn’t saying it will. Was a generic answer. A pandemic versus a bad flu year description. Certainly doesn’t mean it will just that the the initial threat is different.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

I can't wait till this thing ends up being on par with the flu and watching the apologists run around with the known responses....

If we hadn't shut down...
If we hadn't social distanced....
It was necessary....

Deniers will be belittled.

A Pan-demic is what is caused when the entire global media and political structure PANic about something because they do not have enough information.

An Epi-demic is what happens when that same global/political class gets fooled by a particularly nasty flu in any given year.

A normal flu is nasty, like a tropical storm, but only gets named when it does real damage to North America.

A tragedy is what happens when a true epidemic, like HIVAIDS kills several times more people each than the normal flu, but neither the media/political class nor the normal folk care because it is really only a big problem in shithole countries far from the Western industrial world.

A travesty is what you call a situation where the "cure" for for any of the above ends up costing more lives than all of the above combined.....and that is the global glide path now.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Steeler Nation mobile app

Reactions: JMM
I can't wait till this thing ends up being on par with the flu and watching the apologists run around with the known responses....

If we hadn't shut down...
If we hadn't social distanced....
It was necessary....

Deniers will be belittled.

Will be? We're already there. It's near hysteria. Honestly I see it every day on social media, anyone who dares question the media narrative in any way is treated like a cold blooded murderer.

Will be? We're already there. It's near hysteria. Honestly I see it every day on social media, anyone who dares question the media narrative in any way is treated like a cold blooded murderer.

And in 4 month only the sound of crickets will be heard, bank on it.

no matter what the outcome of this the left will blame Trump for it. one way or the other.

You better believe it. It's one thing to be safe rather than sorry and take all practical precautions, it's another to develop 'scientific' models that were actually way way off the mark & make the hysterical projections many of the 'experts' have made.

I noticed I haven't seen Cope or Spike around much lately.