• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Rating the Importance of Games for the Steelers in 2016

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Rating the Importance of Games for the Steelers in 2016

G.Stryker
SteelerNation.com
Sept 9, 2016

For the past two seasons, the Steelers have been facing two NFC teams in the month of September. This is a beneficial trend that I hope will continue, and hope the league will make it a point to give at least two non-conference games in the first month to each team. Why is this important? Because in the grand scope of a 16 game NFL schedule, non-conference games mean the least when it comes to tie breaking procedures in making the playoffs. This allows teams some time to institute their offensive and defensive schemes, and even play around with them a bit, before getting into their more meaningful conference matchups.

I’ve also noticed the trend of back loading the month of December with Divisional games. Since division wins are the most important the NFL learned by backloading the schedule with divisional games, it makes the end of the year more exciting with less teams resting starters in the final few weeks. I know it was a point of emphasis for the league to keep the final 4 games more competitive, and after 2 years of it, it seems to be working well.

One final point involves the suspension of Running Back Le’Veon Bell. As he serves his 3 game suspension, it is important to note that 2 of the 3 games are against NFC teams. The other is a highly important game against Cincinnati, but considering that Cincy has injured Bell for 2 seasons in a row, perhaps not being in the first matchup is a blessing in disguise. Bell is also coming back from repairing 2 ligaments in his knee, so this extra 3 week break will hopefully put him at 100% when he hits the ground running in week 4.

Now on to the rating from least to most important:

16. Dec 4 vs Giants: The Giants were a dumpster fire at the end of last year, winning only 1 of their final 7 games. The matchup of Eli vs Ben pitting 2 QBs from the 2004 draft class that have each won 2 Superbowls, is an interesting one, but the game itself is the least meaningful, since beating this punching bag will do little to increase the Steelers’ strength of victory.

15. Sep 25 @ Eagles: The battle of Pennsylvania makes this a slightly more interesting matchup, but considering the Eagles are starting a new QB with a new head coach putting in a new system, I’m not expecting much from them this year.

14. Nov 13 vs Cowboys: The Cowboys were the worst in their division last year, but my lifelong hatred for this team makes this a more important game to win. Romo is done, so there may be a new QB to face in this matchup. They may be a better team even without Romo, but it is always fun to beat the Cowboys.

13. Sep 12 @ Washington: They won their division last year, it is the first game of the season, and it’s Monday Night Football! Being a road game, it will be tough to play there. I was in Washington for their last Monday Night Game 8 years ago, if the Steelers get up early, that crowd will wane, and there will be a lot of terrible towels swinging by the end of the game.

12. Oct 16 @ Dolphins: The Dolphins finished last in their division last year, and don’t look to be making a push to win their division this year. The Steelers lost their last matchup when Antonio Brown accidently stepped out of bounds after an improbable multiple-lateral play. These matchups always seem to be close, so expect another close game this year.

11. Dec 11 @ Bills: Though they were third in their division last year, they may be a contender. As a Steeler fan, I have to thank them for beating the Jets last year, and giving the Steelers a chance to play in the playoffs. This year, I will thank them for the Steelers win against them. Since the Bills are improved, this game may have some tie breaking implications.

10. Oct 9 vs Jets: The Jets had the inside track to the playoffs last year, but failed to beat Buffalo in the final game. Now with another year together and Fitzpatrick locked in as their starter, they should contend again this year for the playoffs.

9. Nov 24 @ Colts: Though the Colts missed the playoffs last year, with a little bit of luck, and some better play by Luck, they will contend to win their division again this year.

8. Oct 23 vs Pats: With Brady finally serving his 4 game suspension, a division win is not assured. Winning this game is very important for the Steelers in ensuring they have a tie break against the Pats, who have made the playoffs 12 of the last 13 years.

7. Oct 2 vs Chiefs: With a vacuum at QB in Denver, KC is poised to make a run to win the division. With strong play on both sides of the ball as well as a solid coach in Andy Reid, they have a great chance to take the AFC West as well as contend for a top seed in the AFC. A win against them will be a big advantage to earning a first round bye in the playoffs.

6. Jan 1 vs Browns: Hard to believe that a game against the browns is more meaningful than 10 games on the schedule, but you have to win your division first, and that means winning divisional games, to earn the best divisional record. This is the last game of the year, and hopefully the Steelers are able to rest starters for a Superbowl run.

5. Nov 20 @ Browns: Another important divisional matchup against the Factory of Sadness. If Gilbert is our starting CB in this game, the dawg pound may have to be placed on suicide watch.

4. Nov 6 @ Ravens: The Ravens swept the Steelers last year, so these games will be a bit more meaningful for the Steelers. The Ravens always give their best when they play the Steelers, so expect an exciting matchup.

3. Dec 25 vs Ravens: This is a Christmas Day matchup that will hopefully have the Ravens playing Santa and giving turnovers as gifts all game long!

2. Sep 18 vs Bengals: Cincy is strong, and will contend again for the division. There is no Berfict in this matchup, since he is serving a suspension for reckless play, so no need to worry about someone intentionally trying to injure any Steelers in this game..

1. Dec 18 @ Bengals: This will be a dirty matchup that could decide the division. These games have been ugly last year. Cincy will be looking to get some retribution in losing the playoff game last year. No holds barred, expect a lot of big hits, and questionable play from both teams. A throwback to the Raiders/Steelers matchups from the 70s.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Very good overall.

While I agree both Bengal games are very important and should rate #1 and #2, I think the Ravens suck. They are a 5-11 to 6-10 type of team. As such the games with likely AFC playoff teams for tie breakers like Chiefs, Patriots, and maybe the Colts are more important to playoff seeding and possibly making the playoffs if we are a wild card team.

I agree the NFC games mean the least. I'd put Dallas at #12 and Washington at #13. No self respecting Steeler fan wants to lose to the Cowboys!

nitsuj1225

Reaction score
Very good overall.

While I agree both Bengal games are very important and should rate #1 and #2, I think the Ravens suck. They are a 5-11 to 6-10 type of team. As such the games with likely AFC playoff teams for tie breakers like Chiefs, Patriots, and maybe the Colts are more important to playoff seeding and possibly making the playoffs if we are a wild card team.

I agree the NFC games mean the least. I'd put Dallas at #12 and Washington at #13. No self respecting Steeler fan wants to lose to the Cowboys!

Obviously you thinking the Ravens are a 5-11 type team means absolutely nothing because they were 5-11 last year and beat us twice...of course those divisional games are more important.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Obviously you thinking the Ravens are a 5-11 type team means absolutely nothing because they were 5-11 last year and beat us twice...of course those divisional games are more important.

If memory serves we had some really bad coaching decisions in one of those games. Bell was off the field on a critical 3rd down.

The Ravens suck.

Their WR's and RB's are below average. Flacco is overrated bit time. And they are starting a rookie left tackle.

On defense, most of their best defenders are older. I see 5-11 or 6-10 for the Rats. We are either 2-0 or 1-1 vs them in 2016. 0-2 again would be on the coaches.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/depth/_/name/bal

Divisional games are important, but sometimes beating an AFC bound playoff team is more important for the seeding if the overall records are even. If you don't win the division, you're better off dropping one to the Browns, and beating the wild card teams head to head, I think.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
GREAT write up Cope and I thank you. You have it more or less nailed for before the beginning of the season. As the season plays out a couple of those games may change places. Division / conference / most important and this year's STEELERS will need no tie breakers for their #1 seating. If the cheaters can make it that far, they will be going to PITTSBURGH and their trip will end there. Did I happen to mention **** THE CHEATRIOTS (disclaimer: wig is responsible for all this fire)

Salute the nation

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
As you know, the list is subjective, but to me, I did wrestle with some of the conference games being more important than a divisional game. Since we're going for a superbowl win, #1 and #2 seeds are very important, so winning the conference games are very significant in getting the top seed. My list is strictly about making the playoffs, and the most assured way to make the playoffs is by winning your own division. If you sweep your division, you are automatically 2 games up on every team in your division and you hold the tiebreak which essentially gives you a 3 game cushion on every team in your division. That's why I rated the divisional opponents the highest.

The Ravens won't have a roster with half their players on IR this year, so I expect them to be better, even though they ALWAYS play us tough. Tough enough to give them nearly half of their wins last season!

I can't argue with wanting to move the Cowboys up one. I hate the Cowboys too!

ZACKB

Reaction score
I think the ratbirds have a big bounce back year...If Suggs and Dumervill can stay healthy I think they will be pretty damn good. I could see 10-6 from them.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I think the ratbirds have a big bounce back year...If Suggs and Dumervill can stay healthy I think they will be pretty damn good. I could see 10-6 from them.

Dumervill will be the greater impact of the two. SUGGs is on his way out, especially after his injury. I worry of the rat's as they do give us a hard time each and every time we play them, injured or NOT. We take care off buisness this year.

Salute the nation