• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Ray Ray believes Tomin turned his career around

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score

Prior to finding success in the NFL, McCloud's confidence was at an all-time low. He had been bouncing from team to team. One key component in turning his career around was gaining comfortability with his coaches. Until this point in his career, McCloud hadn't felt understood by any of his coaches. Things were different in Pittsburgh, however. The receiver was quick to build a strong relationship with the beloved head coach of the Steelers, Mike Tomlin. Friday, McCloud joined the Getcha Popcorn Ready podcast with Terrell Owens and Matthew Hatchette. Among other things, the receiver spoke on his appreciation for Tomlin and how they became so close.

"He sat next to me, and I was tying my shoe. He wrapped his arm around me and said, 'Ray-Ray McCloud.' We had met a few times at the [NFL] Combine. He started naming places in Tampa, he had coached there." McCloud went on to say, "He was just having a real conversation with me."

Rayray was one of the ones that got away I wished we would have kept. Not saying he was a superstar, but he made some nice returns.

Meh RayRay was solid but not spectacular or anything… top ten on average but not really a gamechanger or anything… he just knew to turn it upfield asap…

What makes Ray Ray think Tomlin turned his career around?
He looks like the same old Tomlin to me.

Meh RayRay was solid but not spectacular or anything… top ten on average but not really a gamechanger or anything… he just knew to turn it upfield asap…
But for the cost of Gunner you get a above middle or better of the league punt returner and 5th at worst wr.

Yeah Gunner for Ray Ray was not a good move.
Lol.....if I remember correctly everyone was done with Ray Ray. Even when he actually had some important catches for us the last season he was here. Hindsight is just so easy.

Lol.....if I remember correctly everyone was done with Ray Ray. Even when he actually had some important catches for us the last season he was here. Hindsight is just so easy.
Not positive this is an accurate overall take. He wasn't fumbling, bumbling, stumbling that is usually what brings negative light to a returner. Personally if I am done with a player, I like an equal or upgrade noticably on site handy. Not sure I am seeing that.

Not positive this is an accurate overall take. He wasn't fumbling, bumbling, stumbling that is usually what brings negative light to a returner. Personally if I am done with a player, I like an equal or upgrade noticably on site handy. Not sure I am seeing that.
Well I guess saying everyone was painting a wide brush. Obviously not you.

If I went back to look at comments on game days I am certain I would find many negative comments, especially with his return game. He didn’t exactly set the world on fire.

There were a few games when it seemed that Ray Ray was targeted as our #one receiver as well. That also drew a lot of criticism on here. Fairly or not.
While you say he never fumbled....
He had 4 in 2021. 2 in 2020. I’d say he did fumble, bumble and stumble a few times.

I’d say that many were looking at an upgrade at the return game and were not exactly screaming to sign him when he left.

I might also add that there was initial excitement when Gunner was signed. Many would say he was definitely an upgrade. After all he was voted to the pro bowl and a first team AP all pro the 2 years previous.

While I certainly will not go back and look at game day mentions on Ray -Ray, I definitely think I have an accurate overall all take. 🙂🙂

Everyone certainly did not include me.
Oh for ***** sake lighten up. Some of you guys.
I didn’t have a big problem with him. But did I think we could get better? I certainly did. As did many. Wow. Obviously not you. Clap, Clap.

Well I guess saying everyone was painting a wide brush. Obviously not you.

If I went back to look at comments on game days I am certain I would find many negative comments, especially with his return game. He didn’t exactly set the world on fire.

There were a few games when it seemed that Ray Ray was targeted as our #one receiver as well. That also drew a lot of criticism on here. Fairly or not.
While you say he never fumbled....
He had 4 in 2021. 2 in 2020. I’d say he did fumble, bumble and stumble a few times.

I’d say that many were looking at an upgrade at the return game and were not exactly screaming to sign him when he left.

I might also add that there was initial excitement when Gunner was signed. Many would say he was definitely an upgrade. After all he was voted to the pro bowl and a first team AP all pro the 2 years previous.

While I certainly will not go back and look at game day mentions on Ray -Ray, I definitely think I have an accurate overall all take. 🙂🙂
I was referring to last season only. Never said he never fumbled...He had some issues before that and that was a concern. But he cleaned that part of his game up nicely. I also never expected much at WR and got pretty much what I expected. As far as the game day thread sure I am sure here and there was comments. I just never remember anyone beating the table for his release.

I didn’t have a big problem with him. But did I think we could get better? I certainly did. As did many. Wow. Obviously not you. Clap, Clap.
He didn't seem heavy he was just telling you he wasn't one of them. Nobody is upset, I just don't think you will find many that agree with your take outside of your own opinion. I actually pretty much thought the opposite that he cleaned up the past and brought a spark here and there. We can agree to disagree it is ok I am sure there will be plenty more times we agree.😉

Everyone has a 4th or a 5th. No one's 4th or 5th is a 1st and probably not going to become a 2nd. Ray Ray was a good 4th or 5th and punt returner which is going to be all thats left for returns.

can we trade Coolie for Ray Ray?

Meh RayRay was solid but not spectacular or anything. not really a gamechanger or anything…
Guy sure changed or at least secured the outcome of one game AND season..After all, he does have a game defining and season changing play & catch in his resume…

RAY will always have that hella acrobatic 14 yard catch for a first down to kill the clock with time winding down that propelled us to the playoffs…

THAT WAS SPECTACULAR…

Last edited: