• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

RB Ty Chandler Would Bring 1-2 Punch To Offense

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
With the 2022 NFL Combine underway, it’s time to start looking into realistic draft picks the Pittsburgh Steelers may be drafting next month. The Steelers used their first round pick last year on running back Najee Harris out of the University of Alabama. Harris was everything the Steelers could’ve asked for in his rookie campaign. However, one fatal flaw of head coach Mike Tomlin is to only use one running back and running that guy into the ground. In order for Harris to have a healthy and prosperous career, he is going to need a back up that can spell him for a few series a game. Insert 5th year senior Ty Chandler from the University of North Carolina.

Chandler was a graduate transfer who spent his first four seasons as a part-time player at the University of Tennessee. During his time with the Volunteers, he never was their featured runner and never had more than 150 touches in a season. After he graduated from Tennessee, he moved on to UNC where he became the primary running back this year. Chandler rushed for over 1,100 yards in his only season as a full-time runner on just over 180 carries. He averaged 6.0 yards per carry and scored 13 touchdowns on the ground.

Pros​

• Elusive and quick burst through the hole
  • Low tread on tires (only one season as a full-time starter)
  • Ran a pro-style offense in college
  • Great hands
  • Top end speed for a running back (4.38 official 40-yard dash time)
  • History as a kick returner and special teamer

Cons​

• Lacks great vision
  • Durability (multiple injuries in college)
  • Lacks experience in pass protection
  • Not very decisive during cuts
  • Concerns of whether he can be a primary runner in the pros

Projection​

Chandler definitely helped himself out during Senior Bowl Week and at the NFL Combine. He flashed during the combine by posting a sub 4.4 time on his 40-yard dash. In a deep class of running backs, it’s unlikely Chandler will hear his name called until day three. Chandler is likely to be a 4-5th round pick.

Chandler’s projection in the NFL is likely to be a back up with the upside of potentially being an average starter in the NFL. The Steelers already have their starting running back for the foreseeable future with Harris, but the Steelers desperately need depth behind Harris. Chandler could be a great change of pace back to Harris and wouldn’t need a lot of reps to make an immediate impact, especially on special teams. The Steelers haven’t had great success in bringing in veteran running backs, so it would be imperative for the Steelers to draft a guy that can back up Harris and fill in barring injury.

Chandler checks a lot of the boxes that offensive coordinator Matt Canada looks for in a playmaker and would be a great fit in Pittsburgh. Hopefully the Steelers could use their compensatory fourth round pick in this year’s draft to scoop Chandler up and solidify much needed depth at the running back position and on special teams.

See Chandler’s highlights below:

Would you be happy with Chandler in the black and gold? Sound off in the comment section below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Chandler is a good RB. He transferred to UNC from Tennessee. While at Tennessee, he may not have been the "starter" but played a LARGE amount of snaps. he played in 46 games for his career there, with 479 touches (run and pass) generating 2,046 rushing and 465 receiving. he scored 17 TDs in his career as a Vol.

yeah, he's good. not great. good. solid, but not great.

similar to Amos Zereoue

Chandler is a good RB. He transferred to UNC from Tennessee. While at Tennessee, he may not have been the "starter" but played a LARGE amount of snaps. he played in 46 games for his career there, with 479 touches (run and pass) generating 2,046 rushing and 465 receiving. he scored 17 TDs in his career as a Vol.

yeah, he's good. not great. good. solid, but not great.

similar to Amos Zereoue
Id be fine with another Zereoue.

In that range of the draft, I'd definitely prefer Cook if they were both available (assuming we draft a rb)

With as many holes as we have, I'd just go buckshot technique and bring in 2-3 udfas to slug it out for a back end of the roster spot and/or a scrap heap vet minimum guy.
RBs are a dime a dozen and having spent a first last year investing more draft capital there seems like a luxury pick to me, even more so in MT's 1 back system.

In that range of the draft, I'd definitely prefer Cook if they were both available (assuming we draft a rb)

With as many holes as we have, I'd just go buckshot technique and bring in 2-3 udfas to slug it out for a back end of the roster spot and/or a scrap heap vet minimum guy.
RBs are a dime a dozen and having spent a first last year investing more draft capital there seems like a luxury pick to me, even more so in MT's 1 back system.

Says a lot right there. the dime a dozen for back up is accurate as well.

See who's there at the later rounds, then decide.

Salute the nation

Theres been a few posts about draft pic RB and free agent RB's. I don't get it. Tomlin does not employ nor does he believe in 2 back systems.