• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Re-Visiting: Should the Steelers Re-sign Terrell Edmunds?

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers are faced with yet another tough decision heading into the 2022 season; what to do with safety, Terrell Edmunds. Although he’s started in almost every game during his four-year career thus far in Pittsburgh, the organization decided against picking up the young talent’s fifth-year option last year, and he is now slotted to enter free agency in just a few short days. The Steelers themselves have been quite hush regarding their next move at strong safety so far this off-season and have not given SteelerNation much of an indication on what direction they are leaning.

Although Edmunds failed to make a name for himself early on in his career, it wasn’t until the Steelers traded for his counterpart, Minkah Fitzpatrick, that things started to change. The Fitzpatrick trade did wonders for the development of Edmunds’ game itself. Being a first round pick, I think there was initial pressure on Edmunds at the start of his career to ultimately be the guy who could turn the defensive secondary around after many years of mediocracy. Although Edmunds has always been effective as a rush defender, his inability to be consistent as a pass defender is what causes many Steelers fans to have concerns.

That being said, Edmunds is coming off one of his best all around seasons as a pro yet. The four-year starter accounted for 89 total combined tackles, one sack and two interceptions (both tied for career highs). This was the first full year that we saw Fitzpatrick and Edmunds on the field together and to be honest, they work well together. Edmunds was just 11 tackles away from the Steelers having both of their safeties surpass 100 tackles on the season (Fitzpatrick had 124) and he seemed to be more comfortable in the Steelers defensive scheme as the season went on.

Where he has really stood out has been in regards to his availability. In those four seasons as a starter, Edmunds has played in a total of 64 games in the black and gold — only missing one game back in his rookie season in 2018. Edmunds has been an extremely durable player at a position where depth is lacking, and while I do think the organization would have loved to see more production from Edmunds, his ability to stay on the football field consistently is what has captured the attention of head coach Mike Tomlin.

“This is a guy who has been ridiculously available to us not only this year but over the course of his career. He was a 1,000 snap defender as a rookie. I think that oftentimes we don’t talk enough about availability. Productivity wise, he did some good things there but availability is a big component of it.”

“He is facing free agency and that is what free agency is. It’s free agency for us, it’s free agency for them and so we will see where the roads lead us. What I am appreciative of is what he has done here, and particularly his ability to be available.”​

The question is, will that be enough to keep him on the roster? As stated before, the Steelers had declined to pick up his fifth-year option from his rookie contract signed back in 2018 and as of now, there have been no reports or any rumors indicating that Edmunds will return to Pittsburgh for a fifth season or beyond. That being said, the Steelers drafted safety Tre Norwood in the seventh round of last year’s NFL Draft and were impressed by his play on the field during his rookie season. Norwood was a guy who caught the attention of Coach Tomlin early last season and judging off of his comments earlier, it doesn’t sound like Edmunds will be re-signed any time soon, leaving the door potentially open for Norwood to become the starter if not addressed during this off-season.

Do you think the Steelers should sign Edmunds to a long-term deal? Click to comment below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Only for the price of a sub-package player/back-up. Or if he’s willing to give playing ILB a shot. IMO, Edmunds is a liability as a starter as a DB.

Last edited:
Did not hate the player but reaching up for him was a mistake... I think you can let him walk and grab a guy like Cross or Monday.

I thought he played better last year but he is still a step behind and doesn't create turnovers. I also like Cross from Maryland, Monday from Auburn, Joseph from Illinois, Cook from Cincinnati, McKinley from Oregon. I think you let Edmunds test free agency and that will probably price him out of Pittsburgh.

I thought he played better last year but he is still a step behind and doesn't create turnovers. I also like Cross from Maryland, Monday from Auburn, Joseph from Illinois, Cook from Cincinnati, McKinley from Oregon. I think you let Edmunds test free agency and that will probably price him out of Pittsburgh.
Agree to that... Monday is an intriguing player at his size but that Cross boy looks smooth and fast...

Let him walk and see what kinda offers he gets. If someone wants to overpay him, then so be it. If no takers, and he is looking for a job, then bring him back for the minimum.

I think he is a solid not spectacular player. I hope we sign him back for a fair price for both sides

If the price is right sure bring him back. The S market has a lot of bodies on it, he is replaceable if not.

If the price is right sure bring him back. The S market has a lot of bodies on it, he is replaceable if not.
Yeah, his market shouldn't be first rounder cause he wasn't one. But if separating yourself from the player if he is best at what you would pay keep him. You have one of the best FS in the game you shouldn't need or pay for one of the best SS.

Let him walk and see what kinda offers he gets. If someone wants to overpay him, then so be it. If no takers, and he is looking for a job, then bring him back for the minimum.
What do you mean by minimum. He is a starter. He is probably gonna get maybe 5 or 6 m per year. If you mean league minimum c'mon..

No. Not what I meant..
Bad choice of words. If he can't find work elsewhere, bring him back with a cap friendly contract. Probly pay him less than what he has been making, but more than league minimum. Hopefully he just goes elsewhere and some other team can overpay him.
What do you mean by minimum. He is a starter. He is probably gonna get maybe 5 or 6 m per year. If you mean league minimum c'mon..

No. Not what I meant..
Bad choice of words. If he can't find work elsewhere, bring him back with a cap friendly contract. Probly pay him less than what he has been making, but more than league minimum. Hopefully he just goes elsewhere and some other team can overpay him.
I agree. But would take him back if he is best at his market level. We don't know everything. Fitzpatrick might say he is able to play off of him well.

I'd consider re-signing Edmunds. He's a solid player and should come at a fair price. I will say the one thing I didn't like from Edmunds last year in one of the blowout losses, we get a pick and rather than go to the bench he was the only veteran to run down to get his picture taken when we're down 20 points.

I don't hate Edmonds. He has improved but where is Karl Joseph???
He wasn’t offered or accepted a contract after the league year ended Berm. On another chat room some were saying he wasn’t picking up the defense as fast as he needed to. Others said he wanted to start, and didn’t think he would be given the opportunity.

All the rumors were that they didn’t pick up his fifth year option because they figured they could get him cheaper… so they still want him, just not at top end money

No, just no, hell no. I'm sick of having a soft *** SS on this team.