• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Referees and their habit of "looking" for certain penalties against certain teams

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I re-watched the PI call on Joey Porter Jr. He was certainly making contact with Chase on the play, no doubt, but that amount of contact happens a great deal in the NFL and is NOT called. Just look at Pickens' highlight reel. Most of the time he makes a circus catch, he is being mauled by the CB and no flag. Refs are clearly "looking" for JPJ to make contact and are fired up to throw the flag.

Also, the Steelers have been called for offensive pass interference 3 times - the most in the NFL. 7 teams have been called for 0 offensive pass interference penalties this season (Cleveland, Houston, Jacksonville, Miami, New England, NY Giants, NY Jets and Philadelphia). Refs are "looking" for this penalty. Boykin was clearly blocking before the pass was caught on the hated WR screen but I watch KC-Raiders later and Kelce is ******* blocking like his life depends on it well before the pass is caught on a WR screen and I mean it's not close. No flag. Okaaaay ...

Refs go into games told to "look" for certain things - I am positive that's the case. Doing so certainly seems to lead to flags on plays where other players are not called for doing exactly the same thing.

In the end you only can ask that the refs call it equally for both teams during a game from week to week. Unfortunately we rarely see it happen that way.

It would be naive to think that the refs don't plan for upcoming games with preconceived notions on what they're going to focus on and which players will get the attention.
I don't watch a lot of football other than the Steelers, but it happens in those few games that I do watch as well. Like everything else in life, there will be bias when humans are making the decisions, whether they're conscious of it or not.

I re-watched the PI call on Joey Porter Jr. He was certainly making contact with Chase on the play, no doubt, but that amount of contact happens a great deal in the NFL and is NOT called. Just look at Pickens' highlight reel. Most of the time he makes a circus catch, he is being mauled by the CB and no flag. Refs are clearly "looking" for JPJ to make contact and are fired up to throw the flag.

Also, the Steelers have been called for offensive pass interference 3 times - the most in the NFL. 7 teams have been called for 0 offensive pass interference penalties this season (Cleveland, Houston, Jacksonville, Miami, New England, NY Giants, NY Jets and Philadelphia). Refs are "looking" for this penalty. Boykin was clearly blocking before the pass was caught on the hated WR screen but I watch KC-Raiders later and Kelce is ******* blocking like his life depends on it well before the pass is caught on a WR screen and I mean it's not close. No flag. Okaaaay ...

Refs go into games told to "look" for certain things - I am positive that's the case. Doing so certainly seems to lead to flags on plays where other players are not called for doing exactly the same thing.
It is all still Ben's fault

The Pro Bowlers get the calls or their infractions are "not seen"...especially when up against rookies.

Porter has been victimized of this on several occasions this season when he has matches up on veteran pro-bowl guys..

With that being said and if he stays healthy.....Joey Porter Jr will end up with more pro-bowl appearances than his Pops...Kid is a stud in the making..

If a Steeler made that hit on Herbert like the rats did last night, flags would fly from every corner of the stadium. Bet.
Hell, if TJ made a hit like the Browns QB took from the Bronco's LB, flags would fly like that.
No flag in Denver ... But, I sure as hell would bet they'd throw it at Heinz/Acc.

If a Steeler made that hit on Herbert like the rats did last night, flags would fly from every corner of the stadium. Bet.

That non-call was egregious. QB is running out of bounds, reaches the boundary, steps out, is THEN hit and no flag?? Changed the game. Opening drive, Chargers are going to be first and goal at the 2 1/2. Instead, 2nd and 19. Yeah, sure.

Oh, and speaking of the Ravens-Chargers game ... LA had given up at least 475 yards four different times in ten games before last night, give up an average of 24 points per game and 390 yards per game.

The Rats scored 13 points the first 58:00 of the game, scored 7 on a reverse with just 1:50 left in the game, went 4-13 on 3rd downs, had just 164 passing yards against that defense and I get to hear the announcers blowing the Baltimore offense for four quarters. Can you imagine AvoidLloyd's comments if he were a Rats fan??

That non-call was egregious. QB is running out of bounds, reaches the boundary, steps out, is THEN hit and no flag?? Changed the game. Opening drive, Chargers are going to be first and goal at the 2 1/2. Instead, 2nd and 19. Yeah, sure.
Credit to Ravens.
Perfect time to take a kill shot at the starting QB…
Early in game.
Old school Game changer right there folks.

Credit to Ravens.
Perfect time to take a kill shot at the starting QB…
Early in game.
Old school Game changer right there folks.

So you'd say the same if it was the Steelers and they were rightfully called for roughness, half the distance, automatic 1st down at the 2 1/2?

NFL players know how to avoid roughing penalties. Watt was called (correctly) for a roughing when what's-his-name whiffed on the sack. TJ was ticked that the guy missed a gimme-sack when TJ has to work for most of them like Orpheus climbing out of the underworld.

I'd like to add that Steeler QBs do not get the same treatment as others. Kenny has been abused multiple times after he's left the ball go - and... no flag.
I was going to say the same thing. KP gets destroyed back there quite often with no flags. Big Ben had the same treatment.

So you'd say the same if it was the Steelers and they were rightfully called for roughness, half the distance, automatic 1st down at the 2 1/2?

NFL players know how to avoid roughing penalties. Watt was called (correctly) for a roughing when what's-his-name whiffed on the sack. TJ was ticked that the guy missed a gimme-sack when TJ has to work for most of them like Orpheus climbing out of the underworld.
Yes I would....Bring physicality and intimidation back to the NFL...How many games do you believe the 70's Steelers or even Cowher, and early years Tomlin's teams won with this mindset?
I would say a bunch....

Its December football baby...AFC North knows how it done!

Loved the Orpheus comparison though....That was Tip Top dude!!

I think the refs have called a pretty wide variety of penalties on our STEELERS, even phantom flags for offsides (lined up in the neutral zone) on a field goal attempt……….. it wasn’t even our player, it was the defender, but it stuck and we missed the FG.

We also get a lot of NO CALLs for them holding us, KP8 getting pummeled, phantom PI calls as well.

Salute the nation

The Pro Bowlers get the calls or their infractions are "not seen"...especially when up against rookies.

Porter has been victimized of this on several occasions this season when he has matches up on veteran pro-bowl guys..

With that being said and if he stays healthy.....Joey Porter Jr will end up with more pro-bowl appearances than his Pops...Kid is a stud in the making..
Then why TJ Watt, a perennial pro bowler doesn't get the holding calls?

Unless something has changed since the 90’s…

Teams typically submit a bunch of things for the refs to “ give guidance on” for upcoming games

Some of that may be things they want to do they want to make sure the refs call legal, but mostly it’s highlighting things they think the other team is getting away with.

Once the league office lets the refs know what they are looking for, the refs are going to be hyperactively looking for it, because if a ref gets like 5 “official” missed calls in a season, they are basically **** out of luck for superbowl work. And too many past that they could be shut out for postseason work… that really matters to most refs…

So if tge league says, “ watch this player for this penalty”

That player is going to get a lot of calls against

Unless something has changed since the 90’s…

Teams typically submit a bunch of things for the refs to “ give guidance on” for upcoming games

Some of that may be things they want to do they want to make sure the refs call legal, but mostly it’s highlighting things they think the other team is getting away with.

Once the league office lets the refs know what they are looking for, the refs are going to be hyperactively looking for it, because if a ref gets like 5 “official” missed calls in a season, they are basically **** out of luck for superbowl work. And too many past that they could be shut out for postseason work… that really matters to most refs…

So if tge league says, “ watch this player for this penalty”

That player is going to get a lot of calls against
Contract refs getting briefed to do contract thangs.

WHEN the F is the NFL going to stop the bullshit and pay for full-time refs?

Porter was targeted at Penn State as well. Most of his PI calls in college were just like the ones with the steelers. I hate the way PI is called. First of all, the DB has the EXACT same right to the ball as the WR. Most refs seem to ignore this. The default is the WR gets to go for the ball and the DB better not touch him.

They call DBs all the time for "hand fighting". Again, the WR is allowed to grab and shove but if Porter grabs back simply to negate the WR pushing him off then it's PI or holding.

Refs are absolutely talked into PI calls far more than any other call. So many times all it takes is a WR jumping up and down and the flag comes out late. The stadium boos and a WR throws a tantrum so let's just give them 50 yards free.

So many times the WR doesn't even make a play for the ball. They just feel a hand on them or a slight jersey tug and just quit on the route and demand a flag. The standard is not contact, it's whether that contact actually hinders the WR from getting to the ball. Way too many times that give a PI for a touch or even a slight jersey pull that doesn't even cause the WR to break stride.

Contract refs getting briefed to do contract thangs.

WHEN the F is the NFL going to stop the bullshit and pay for full-time refs?

I’m all for full time refs, but that won’t fix the problem.

Full time refs will make the officiating better at manipulating games so as you won’t think it’s happening.

Currently, most don’t think that is happening and these games are fully legitimate. Surprise, with as much money at stake, not all but a proportion of them are manipulated in the degree of the GREED MACHINE.

If you are wondering who “they” are, follow the money and see who profits the most.

With the NFL partnering with the gambling / sports betting, it just gets deeper and deeper.

Salute the nation

Porter was targeted at Penn State as well. Most of his PI calls in college were just like the ones with the steelers. I hate the way PI is called. First of all, the DB has the EXACT same right to the ball as the WR. Most refs seem to ignore this. The default is the WR gets to go for the ball and the DB better not touch him.

They call DBs all the time for "hand fighting". Again, the WR is allowed to grab and shove but if Porter grabs back simply to negate the WR pushing him off then it's PI or holding.

Refs are absolutely talked into PI calls far more than any other call. So many times all it takes is a WR jumping up and down and the flag comes out late. The stadium boos and a WR throws a tantrum so let's just give them 50 yards free.

So many times the WR doesn't even make a play for the ball. They just feel a hand on them or a slight jersey tug and just quit on the route and demand a flag. The standard is not contact, it's whether that contact actually hinders the WR from getting to the ball. Way too many times that give a PI for a touch or even a slight jersey pull that doesn't even cause the WR to break stride.

Excellent post TapeANaspirin2it, thanks.

I see exactly what you are saying quite often and think…..WTF. Joe Flacco says thanks, with a wink.

Salute the nation

Then why TJ Watt, a perennial pro bowler doesn't get the holding calls?
Good Point..

But if you think about your question...I think you can answer it yourself Litos.

Here's my answer and it might be the same as yours..

They are obviously doing everything possible to protect the QB's.

I’m all for full time refs, but that won’t fix the problem.
Not entirely, as the full time refs will still be struggling with rules "interpretations" and subjective interpretations the same as the Geriatric Crews that we have now. However, what changes is that now instead of having 60 year old doctors, attorneys, and financial planners running 10 yards behind every play, you can hopefully get some 25-30 year old former college or NFL players that know the game more intimately, understand intent, and can keep up with the speed of the game better. That is a benefit for everyone involved.