• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

REPORT – Steelers Attempting Trade For Fletcher Cox

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers need defensive linemen. The Philadelphia Eagles have some good ones, including former Steeler Javon Hargrave. But they also have 6 time Pro Bowler Fletcher Cox. Reports at the trade deadline were that Cox was available, but no one wanted to give up a third round pick in exchange.

Now it appears the Eagles are fielding calls for the veteran again, and the Steelers are again involved.

#Eagles receiving lots of interest for 6x Pro Bowl DT Fletcher Cox. League sources say #Bills, #Steelers and #Chargers all interested (#Cardinals aren’t due to lack of money).

Trading Cox would mean a $40M dead cap charge for Philly, so the return would have to be substantial.

— Jordan Schultz (@Schultz_Report) March 12, 2022

Cox wound up starting 16 games last season and finished the year with 35 tackles, 3.5 sacks, two forced fumbles, and a fumble recovery. He added three tackles in the Eagles’ playoff loss to the Buccaneers.

Recently the Steelers Brass said that Stephon Tuitt had shown interest in returning to football, but there’s been no indication of when they will happen. It still might not happen.

Landing a player of Cox caliber might be more costly at this point of the year than it was at the trade deadline. It’s reported that Cox would cost the Eagles 40 million in dead cap space if they unload him now.

The Steelers don’t have a lot of draft picks available to trade this season, but they could deal one of their future picks in 2023.

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Interdasting..

Our 2023 pick will be more valuable than our equivalent 2022 pick and if we hold back for a QB in 2023 we may need them all.

Oh man, that would be great (as long as we don't give up too much value)
I think they would have to do something with his contract.Restructure-tweak.

It is widely known if you have a Bush and you want to Maulet you will need to add a Cox.

Man love the guy but we have no draft capital now!
We have plenty of draft picks when it comes to acquiring a proven veteran. You don't trade high picks for these types of players, you trade late-round picks. If not one this year, move a future one. The Eagles will be in a rough spot if they make a deal and I don't see one happening, but look what little Cleveland gave up for Cooper. If you've got cap room, it's a great way to acquire good talent rather than take our typical route of drafting a guy who projects as a special teams player.

To much for Cox

We need Coach to set this trade up. he can trade Cox from the eagles to the brown and then aquire the Browns first & 3rd plus Cox in exchange for brokering the eagles deal to the browns.............

WHY NOT ???

Salute the nation

Can we send Tuitt?

That said, Fletcher is a super cool dude. I’ve hung out with him a couple times at the race track and the guy really is a genuinely nice person.

I think they would have to do something with his contract.Restructure-tweak.

It is widely known if you have a Bush and you want to Maulet you will need to add a Cox.
thats-damn-good-thats-good.gif

Ya killin' me Slash! :laugh:

So a few things,

1. I have been a proponent of this for a while now, but only if Tuitt wasn’t coming back… that actually might work in our favor because there is no ******* way with that insanely structured contract tgey could afford to trade him prior to june 1st unless he massively restructures

2. His contract currently voids after 22, and to cut or trade him would peg the eagles with 40 million in dead cap … but his base salary is a million dollars and even if they pit the roster bonus and other unpaid bonus on us it would only be five million that actually spreads out over at least the void year

3. He had a down year.. if it wasnt for the cap space thing, they’d probably be offering him for a lot less

4 it might actually be easier to pry Hargrave off of them for a third… his cap hit is more manageable but they also want to keep him… if they can’t extend him he could be a target too

Do you think they are getting sense that Tuitt is not 100% committed and they want to be prepared.

I wouldn’t give up more than a 7th. We’d legitimately be renting him for 2022.

What is the status on Tyson Alualu ankle, recovery? I assume he will be back full strength.