• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Report – Steelers Have Taken 1st Round Prospect DL Devonte Wyatt Off Their Draft Board

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers love defensive lineman Jordan Davis from Georgia, but apparently they won’t even consider drafting his teammate Devonte Wyatt.

Steelers Devonte Wyatt

UGA Official Website

93.7 The Fan Pittsburgh radio host Andrew Filliponi tweeted out that the Steelers weren’t interested in Wyatt because of some off-field issues that happened in 2020.

“2 NFL sources in the past week have told me based on everything they know about the Steelers (which is a lot) that Georgia D-lineman Devonte Wyatt is NOT on their draft board. For character reasons. He was arrested in 2020. On a family violence criminal charge. Worth monitoring.”
2 NFL sources in the past week have told me based on everything they know about the Steelers (which is a lot) that Georgia D-lineman Devonte Wyatt is NOT on their draft board. For character reasons. He was arrested in 2020. On a family violence criminal charge. Worth monitoring.

— Andrew Fillipponi (@ThePoniExpress) April 21, 2022

Wyatt was involved in a ‘family violence’ dispute with a woman that he was living with at the time in 2020. According to the police report Wyatt kicked in a door, and entered the place of residence of a female. There was no report of Wyatt actually putting his hands on her in this instance.

One AFC Scout who reportedly needs defensive line help told WalterFootball.com that their team had taken him off of their boards because of character issues. That team very well could be the Steelers.

“He’s off our board… If teams are okay with the character, I think he goes between No. 21-32. He has a lot of red flags.”

But according to reports NFL teams have found through their own sources 3 other cases of domestic violence linked to Wyatt. The Kansas City Chiefs, and Minnesota Vikings have interviewed Wyatt so far this off-season. After dealing with a lot of off the field issues over the past decade Kevin Colbert and Mike Tomlin have seemed to transition away from any player that may have a character issue. It’s mostly worked as the Steelers have not had any arrests in quite awhile.

kelly.jpg

GLENDALE, ARIZONA – DECEMBER 08: Cornerback Kameron Kelly #29 of the Pittsburgh Steelers reacts during the second half of the NFL game against the Arizona Cardinals at State Farm Stadium on December 08, 2019 in Glendale, Arizona. The Steelers defeated the Cardinals 23-17. (Photo by Christian Petersen/Getty Images)

Safety Kameron Kelly was arrested in 2019 after signing with the team in the off-season leading up to that season. He was promptly released within 24 hours of his arrest.

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

I just saw this recently. I also didn't know he was already 24 years old, which probably left him off the Steelers radar.
I didn't think he was a good fit to what his strengths were VS his size and what I perceived to be the Steelers needs at the position. I knew he had some baggage too.

Mark my words… Cinci will take him in the first or second round … this is the exact type of bargain that mike brown loves

My only take from this is that if I was in the Steeler front office, I would want to know who those 2 NFL sources were that fed Filliponi information on the Steelers draft board.

Unless they wanted it leaked.

More regurgitation for talking heads to pad that they were correct on the player. Fact is regardless of his past infraction(s), his age and the fact he’s a 3 tech and not a 5 tech DE is the reason he’s probably not on PIT radar. Folks need to turn of their Twitter until next Thursday night. It’s only going to get worse with throwing “sources” on the wall and seeing if it sticks.

I just saw this recently. I also didn't know he was already 24 years old, which probably left him off the Steelers radar.
As far as age, you're going to see more players that are 23 and 24 than usual due to the NCAA giving players 6 years to complete their four years of eligibility due to 2020 covid season. Read an article in the Post Gazette that OT prospect Raimann is a month older than Okorafor.

I liked Wyatt but see ya later. Jones from Connecticut is massive, good measurables and 22 years old. I think he would have been special regardless what conference he played in.

UGA cannot shake any off field news it seems. It’s been a thing since I was in college

UGA cannot shake any off field news it seems. It’s been a thing since I was in college
Heck, Wyatt is small news compared to Adam Adams who was arrested for rape late October 2021. The guy was leading the bulldogs in sacks and another potential 1st round pick from that defense. They did at least suspend him from the team until the case is adjudicated. I'm not passing judgement, it's a former friend who was intoxicated making the allegations in addition to another former friend who said the same thing happened to her in 2020 but she didn't go to the police. If it goes to trial who knows what will happen.

Reactions: MTC
As far as age, you're going to see more players that are 23 and 24 than usual due to the NCAA giving players 6 years to complete their four years of eligibility due to 2020 covid season. Read an article in the Post Gazette that OT prospect Raimann is a month older than Okorafor.

I liked Wyatt but see ya later. Jones from Connecticut is massive, good measurables and 22 years old. I think he would have been special regardless what conference he played in.
You may see more of them but that doesn't mean the Steelers will look in that direction in the first round. Last year was pretty rare when they took Harris (2021) in the first at 23. Jarvis Jones (2013) was also 23. Now I may have some fuzzy math with some of these, but here's the age breakdown.

Watt (2017), Dupree (2015), DeCastro (2012), Hood (2009), were all 22.

Edmunds (2018), Shazier (2014), Heyward (2011), were 21.

Bush (2019), Burns (2016), Pouncey (2010), Mendenhall (2008), and Timmons (2007), were 20.

There must be solid "something" if it is true he is off their board.

If all is true then I am glad he is off and our team will be better for it.

Salute the nation

Heck, Wyatt is small news compared to Adam Adams who was arrested for rape late October 2021. The guy was leading the bulldogs in sacks and another potential 1st round pick from that defense. They did at least suspend him from the team until the case is adjudicated. I'm not passing judgement, it's a former friend who was intoxicated making the allegations in addition to another former friend who said the same thing happened to her in 2020 but she didn't go to the police. If it goes to trial who knows what will happen.
It was a problem under Richt too. It’s a UGA thing.

I don’t make judgements either. I’m a proud UGA alum, and football is the ambassador for brand exposure aside, the off field stuff by the football team isn’t a representation of the students and alumni

It was a problem under Richt too. It’s a UGA thing.

I don’t make judgements either. I’m a proud UGA alum, and football is the ambassador for brand exposure aside, the off field stuff by the football team isn’t a representation of the students and alumni
As you should be, it's a great university. Not comparing it to the problems of the University of Miami football team twenty to thirty something years ago but it sure tarnished the name of that school. Pitt in the 70s had their share of issues and rumors but coverage was mostly local. Many schools can be added to the list.

As you should be, it's a great university. Not comparing it to the problems of the University of Miami football team twenty to thirty something years ago but it sure tarnished the name of that school. Pitt in the 70s had their share of issues and rumors but coverage was mostly local. Many schools can be added to the list.
Yeah I don’t like the label based on association. University’s are a thing to be proud of. Even the U lol.

ESPN has their mock draft with their beat writer for each team and the steelers beat writer took Wyatt. It's ESPN so take that for what it's worth.