• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Report: Steelers Signing Former Ravens And Dolphins Safety DeShon Elliott

SteelerNation.com News

Forefather
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers were thin in the safety department as the NFL's legal tampering period began on Monday. After releasing Keanu Neal due to failed physical, Minkah Fitzpatrick and Damontae Kazee were the only two legitimate options on the depth chart with Trenton Thompson also still around. General Manager Omar Khan has been relatively aggressive during free agency and he started it off with a shocking signing of quarterback Russell Wilson. Now, the organization is bolstering the safety unit with an agreement between them and DeShon Elliot to join forces once the new league year begins on Wednesday.

READ MORE

Should I go first?

You always need depth though I'm not sure if he is anymore than we've been throwing out there beside Minka since he came to Pittsburgh. Some others out there in addition to Simmons that I wish they'd sign.

Last edited:
I guess in all fairness, he seems to be a physical strong safety who works hard, is ok in pass coverage. Good size and should be a plus against the run and let Minka roam.

Anything that gets Minka out of being a full time LB in run support is good. I'd much rather have him getting turnovers and supporting the secondary.

Trenton Thompson who is still around, what a slap...he looked good in his limited time.
I liked Rowe from what I saw last year, last I saw he was still a FA too. Wouldn't mind having him back on a cheap deal, seemed versatile.

At any rate welcome aboard Elliot. Hope he upgrades the depth or is a solid compliment to Minkah if Kazee becomes the depth. Can't have too many solid tacklers back there.

2018 Draft

Terrel Edmunds, pick 28
Deshon Elliot, pick 190
Oh sure, rub in the Edmunds over drafting! This guy is also solid, but not really spectacular. But solid. And he's only 27.

Trenton Thompson who is still around, what a slap...he looked good in his limited time.
I liked Rowe from what I saw last year, last I saw he was still a FA too. Wouldn't mind having him back on a cheap deal, seemed versatile.

At any rate welcome aboard Elliot. Hope he upgrades the depth or is a solid compliment to Minkah if Kazee becomes the depth. Can't have too many solid tacklers back there.
Maybe Rowe is available closer to training camp? I think that both he and PatPete, at the right price, would be great vets to add because they are character guys, versatile and have both filled in ably last season. Again, the price has to be right.

Good signing, he will be able to play in the box, good tackler, and it should free Minkah up to be able to roam more...in theory he should be able to get back to intercepting passes again.