• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

REPORT - Steelers Super Bowl Champion Clark Haggans Dies At 46

SteelerNation.com News

Forefather
Admin
Reaction score
Terrible news has struck the Pittsburgh Steelers once again. Former Super Bowl champion linebacker Clark Haggans has passed away at the young age of 46 according to a report from local radio host Colin Dunlap. There aren't any immediate details on what exactly caused the death of Haggans. Haggan death comes on the heels of several other recent Steelers' deaths. Running backs Franco Harris, and Sidney Thornton also passed away in the past 7 months.

READ MORE

RIP. This guy was way too young… only my age now. He was part of the new millennia 2000 draft class that had a lot of potential but ended up pretty average… he was a typical Steelers development project… a fifth rounder that didn’t start for four years but then started four years for us and ultimately was in the league for 12….

My condolences to his family

RIP. This guy was way too young… only my age now. He was part of the new millennia 2000 draft class that had a lot of potential but ended up pretty average… he was a typical Steelers development project… a fifth rounder that didn’t start for four years but then started four years for us and ultimately was in the league for 12….

My condolences to his family
I gave my condolences in the other thread. Reading this I felt I had to comment on your comments. I have no idea if you mean that the draft of 2000 was “pretty average” or Clark himself.

I hardly considered Clark “average” He played 12 seasons. Making NFL money. The average player in the NFL plays 3.3 years.
In fact looking at the 2000 Draft now.
Plaxico Burress 12 years played
Marvel Smith 8 years played
Kendrick Clancy 9 years played.
Danny Farmer..... bust
Clark Haggans.....12 years played.

Once again......the average player in the NFL plays 3.3 years.
I hardly consider this an average year. Not every draft year produces multiple HOF’s as some fans seem to think they should.

Last edited:
I gave my condolences in the other thread. Reading this I felt I had to comment on your comments. I have no idea if you mean that the draft of 2000 was “pretty average” or Clark himself.

I hardly considered Clark “average” He payed 12 seasons. Making NFL money. The average player in the NFL plays 3.3 years.
In fact looking at the 2000 Draft now.
Plaxico Burress 12 years played
Marvel Smith 8 years played
Kendrick Clancy 9 years played.
Danny Farmer..... bust
Clark Haggans.....12 years played.

Once again......the average player in the NFL plays 3.3 years.
I hardly consider this an average year. Not every draft year produces multiple HOF’s as some fans seem to think they should.

The important thing is the condolences.
As far as the 2000 draft goes. It was incredibly average by stats. That doesn’t make it bad… and I wasn’t disparaging Haggans at all…
Burress had some really good seasons but overall underperformed based on his actual talent and draft position… he was never a true 1 wr despite having all the tools to do so. Smith was a quality player who even made a pro bowl.. he was the best pick that year, but even he really didn’t guys like poteat and Clancy rattled around the league for years… but none of them stood out like we thought they might. It was a bunch of average guys… nothing special… not bad, not great…

And the whole “ only plays 3 years thing is a misnomer… that counts everyone who makes an nfl roster at any point,not everyone who actually makes the 53 man roster…

Haggans was a good player who had a good career, but he wasn’t a star by any means. His output for a starter was incredibly average and he didn’t start until his fifth year. He has one season of above average stats and that year we won a super bowl. None of that means he didn’t have a good career.

Haggans was definitely the kind of Steelers Way guy we used to develop… not quite ready out of the box and behind a quality guy… sat for 2,3 or even 4 years before becoming a starter… a guy waiting in the wings for his turn….

The new CBA really does not allow that anymore… he would have been gone after year 4 or resigned to a way bigger deal that shorted us elsewhere. Instead we used his bridge deal contract in a super bowl caliber team … he was a solid Non star type olb that complimented Porter well…