• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

REPORT – Teams Set to Offer Ray-Ray McCloud a Contract

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers have several wide receivers that are free agents including JuJu Smith-Schuster, James Washington, and Ray-Ray McCloud. The one with the least amount of pedigree seems to be the one that is getting the most interest around the NFL.

According to CBS Sports’ reporter Cody Benjamin, the Colts, 49ers, Lions, and Packers have all expressed interest in signing McCloud. McCloud offers a variety of talents as a returner, and a slot receiver. He was the unlikeliest of Steelers to find his way into the mix offensively last season, but when Smith-Schuster went down with an injury, Ben Roethlisberger turned his attention to McCloud. The team even game planned offensively for McCloud specifically. He had 66 targets this season.

“Pittsburgh has contacted McCloud’s representation to express a strong interest in re-signing the veteran, according to a source close to the situation, but at least six other teams — including playoff contenders in the 49ers and Packers — have their sights set on McCloud ahead of the league’s legal tempering period, which begins March 14th.”

McCloud was signed by the Steelers prior to the 2020 season after spending time in Carolina. McCloud made an impact on special teams during the preseason and was kept on the 53 man roster. According to McCloud last month he’d like to stay in Pittsburgh.

Ray-Ray McCloud on Ben Roethlisberger, being ready when called upon and more. pic.twitter.com/nYHsv2HKis

— Steelers Live (@SteelersLive) December 30, 2021

The Steelers likely aren’t going to get into a bidding war if there is that many other teams interest in McCloud. If they wanted him that badly they would’ve already re-signed him instead of letting his test free agency. It will be interesting to see what the team does, though, if Washington, Smith-Schuster, and McCloud all leave this off-season.

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Ray Ray shoulda been locked in to a contract already. What are we gonna run with this year? Couple tight ends and DJ?

If it gets to a bidding war the Steelers get a comp pick, win win.

If it gets into a bidding war the Steelers unfortunately may win the bidding war (cough, cough... Tomlin guy)
Back up the Brinks truck and pay the man! I'm sure he's worth about 3-4 years 5 million per to pay off his Cool Shades allegiance and keep him here (pure sarcasm).

Would love to get a comp pick for him Litos, but with our cap room we could actually have a net gain through qualifying free agents added and cancel out any comp picks we could get. But it only takes 1 team to massively overpay him to get some help in the comp pick equation. Guess we'll see soon enough, but I'd imagine we only lose 3-4 guys that would qualify for comp picks through the equation, and I damn well hope we are bringing in at least 3-4 quality guys to fill some of those holes.

The bidding war for Ray Ray makes me chuckle though, thanks! and hope it happens and we don't win that war.

If I was the coach Ray-Ray wouldn’t have made the 53 man roster.

For all the hype, he really only made a hand full of good plays.

Time to move on and draft Skyy Moore

He is ok… nothing special though… he certainly could be improved on… I would not spend much over the vet base on him… but I suspect they will

Ray Ray set a dubious NFL record last season...most catches without scoring a TD.
Yup, hasn't had a TD for his entire career.

He's Eli Rogers with return skills. That being said. With Wash and JuJu walking, it would be best to bring him back to have some consistency in the WR room.

I like McCloud. Know his dad back in Tampa. He's a team player and I hope he sticks...

At what price $$$$ ?

With the bidding "WAR" that price may get to high fast.

Salute the nation

He's Eli Rogers with return skills. That being said. With Wash and JuJu walking, it would be best to bring him back to have some consistency in the WR room.
So you think Washington and JuJu are gone? Then yes they need to bring him back.

the ONLY WR in that group worth keeping is Juju

the rest...

What FA WR could be brought in? Is a guys like Cedrick Wilson or Russell Gage out of range?

He's a decent backup for sure.